Good soil?

packfan13

Hey guys I'm changing my substrate for my tort off of coir and playsand to a coir/soil mix. I haven't had any problem with the coir/sand blend, but I know Im playing with fire with impaction. I'm gonna stop by Home Depot tomorrow to see if I can pick up some additive free soil. Does this soil look acceptable to you? http://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoScrap...ontal1_rr-_-NA-_-203709646-_-N#specifications . It says it has no poop, no chemicals and is completely safe for pets. Just wanted to get official tortoise forum confirmation. Thanks.

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
I don't see the price on that but Home Depot also carries bags of organic top soil for like $2.50 a bag. The stuff I got last time was miracle grow brand organic top soil which had spag moss in it for $2.50 a bag

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forum dude! if you have any questions about the forum just ask! I'm unsure if that new substrate is safe or not, but its good you are taking out that sand, because it can cause impaction. what species do you have?

packfan13

welcome to the forum dude! if you have any questions about the forum just ask! I'm unsure if that new substrate is safe or not, but its good you are taking out that sand, because it can cause impaction. what species do you have?
Thanks, dude. Good to be here :) I have a Sulcata, thought I'd post here and stay amongst my people.

packfan13

I don't see the price on that but Home Depot also carries bags of organic top soil for like $2.50 a bag. The stuff I got last time was miracle grow brand organic top soil which had spag moss in it for $2.50 a bag
Ok cool, Ill look for it. Always good to have a little spag moss.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I prefer to use orchid bark for sulcatas. It can be found for about $5 in bulk. Sometimes they call it other things like "pathway bark". Make sure you get the fine grade.

packfan13

I prefer to use orchid bark for sulcatas. It can be found for about $5 in bulk. Sometimes they call it other things like "pathway bark". Make sure you get the fine grade.
Ya I've read your posts about your substrate preferences. I really feel like my tortoise will try to eat the orchid bark, I've seen him try to eat little pieces of wood outside. If you don't think he will maybe I'll go for it. How do you feel about a coir/soil blend? What I liked most about the coir/sand was the texture and footing of it, I feel like coir itself wouldn't be as easy to walk on. That's why I was going to use the soil to replace the sand. I've read other people saying they feel the same way in regards to footing for coir by itself, but also read that if you pack it down hard it's fine and people love it. So I'm just going of my gut right now I guess.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't like coir for sulcatas because its too messy. I don't like soil or topsoil for any species because it can be made of any composted material and there is no way to know what's in it. It can be made of toxic plants like oleander. I also don't see any reason for mixing different substrates. I don't think mixing substrates is harmful in any way if the mix is of good substrates, but I don't see any reason for it either.

I have been raising tortoises and other reptiles on orchid bark for decades and none of them have ever tried to eat it. Are you using colored light bulbs? Red or blue? That will do it sometimes. So will mineral deficiencies or a low fiber diet. Are you feeding mostly grocery store greens?

packfan13

I don't like coir for sulcatas because its too messy. I don't like soil or topsoil for any species because it can be made of any composted material and there is no way to know what's in it. It can be made of toxic plants like oleander. I also don't see any reason for mixing different substrates. I don't think mixing substrates is harmful in any way if the mix is of good substrates, but I don't see any reason for it either.

I have been raising tortoises and other reptiles on orchid bark for decades and none of them have ever tried to eat it. Are you using colored light bulbs? Red or blue? That will do it sometimes. So will mineral deficiencies or a low fiber diet. Are you feeding mostly grocery store greens?
No I use just regular UV bulbs, he, or she, tried to eat it when he was outside, it was just some stray bark. Ya I am, but I've been trying to get him outside a lot more and I sprinkle TNT powder on it a few times a week. Ive been trying to give him hay, but he wont eat it. Im going to try to soak him a lot more and give him more humidity, him or her that is. I didnt find this place until recently, so I hadn't been watering him enough, I was part of the beginner mistakes. Maybe he'll eat more hay after this. I like the coir and some sort of dirty sandy substrate because it looks nice, seems like good footing, and seems like quality digging material. I know it doesnt matter what it looks like it matters whats best for the tortoise. I feel like orchid bark isnt very good for digging, I like him to have the ability to dig. I also know your the expert and I trust your judgement. Do they dig in orchid bark?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Little ones don't tend to dig much at all, but yes, they can dig into the orchid bark. I've tried all sorts of stuff over the years and orchid bark has just worked the best for me. I think you should try all the different ones and see for yourself. Try switching out once a month or so and try to get a good feel for each one. Then come back and tell us what you prefer. That is what I have done over the years to arrive at my current preferences.

Small ones also don't usually eat dry hay. Most of mine won't start eating dry hay by itself until they are around 12". I start feeding them on a bed of dry hay as soon as i move them outside full time at around 8-10". This gets them used to the smell, taste and texture gradually.

Here is a feeding sheet with lots of suggestions for good food:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

packfan13

Little ones don't tend to dig much at all, but yes, they can dig into the orchid bark. I've tried all sorts of stuff over the years and orchid bark has just worked the best for me. I think you should try all the different ones and see for yourself. Try switching out once a month or so and try to get a good feel for each one. Then come back and tell us what you prefer. That is what I have done over the years to arrive at my current preferences.

Small ones also don't usually eat dry hay. Most of mine won't start eating dry hay by itself until they are around 12". I start feeding them on a bed of dry hay as soon as i move them outside full time at around 8-10". This gets them used to the smell, taste and texture gradually.

Oh that's a good idea with the hay, I didnt think of that. I will most certainly be sure to try that out. Thanks for the advice Tom.

packfan13

Don't know if anyone is reading this still, but bat guano is a definite no Fodor and indoor in closure right? Can't find any zero additive soil

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't use any kind of feces as substrate, no matter what name they give it. (lol)

packfan13

Hey man, one more question, is repti bark they sell in pet stores considered fine grade orchid bark? Where do you buy your orchid bark? So two more questions. I was looking in Home Depot and talking with a guy who worked there and he showed me 8 qt bags, but said they had fertilizer in them. Not loving the dirt so far, gets pretty muddy and sticky.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If you were using dirt right now you can add Pete Moss to it. That's what I use in my outdoor enclosures, Pete Moss and organic garden soil.