"GoldCrown" Terrapin PAIR...

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
The bunch of pics I've taken.. should make it obvious why I call them "GoldCrown"!

This first post is prior to 2014. I'll add others in a reply.

The first pic I could find of "GoldCrown".. from August 2012 -

I think he is a late 2011 hatchling.. and was less than 4"above.. a not exactly sure whether male or not - sure hoped so!

It was amazing how he developed in a short time - April 2013 -

Has to be one of the nicest male terrapins I've seen - Outdoors May 2013 -

I've spent the last several hours digging up these pics!

At the edge of the big tub last July -

By December 2013 { 4+" scl } .. it was obvious I had a beautiful "baby-maker" on board -

Time to grab a bite.. soon after the rest of this years' pics to date.

And then his "up-and-coming" soul-mate.. soon!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, your pics are killing me as always. Okay, more info needed. How big do they get? Would a 60 gallon pond be big enough for summer outside and what's the smallest I could house them in, one most likely, in the winter in the basement? I only know about RES and Painted, so anything different from keeping them?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Pack them up and send them to me! You know you want toooooooooo!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Wow, your pics are killing me as always. Okay, more info needed. How big do they get? Would a 60 gallon pond be big enough for summer outside and what's the smallest I could house them in, one most likely, in the winter in the basement? I only know about RES and Painted, so anything different from keeping them?

Don't look any further.. the rest will cause a heart attack!!! Will get your answers in a few.. I just changed Hosts and am in the process of transferring - will have link soon.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
When the temps start getting into the upper 40's F they go into their own space inside to go into brumation [ aka hibernation ]. The purpose is to allow their "reproductive system" t0 do what it does during the winter to ensure fertility in the spring. The low temps needed will vary by sub-species.

Either I didn't allow the temps to go low enough or.. maybe.. GoldCrown was too young is why there have been no eggs this year.

GoldCrown in "brumation" tub in February 2014 -

Shown here with Betsy.. Northern female -

Even tho' low lighting is present only 3-4 hours a day.. they seemed to like out of water quite often -

So now it's July and GoldCrown has been basking in the sun for awhile.. July 22, 2014 -

It got to the point that he had enough of me hovering over him with the camera.. so he headed toward the water and like as if he looked back and said - "See ya....." -

Will get little GoldCrown girl shortly...................

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So, if I'm understanding correctly, when you bring them in, you still give no heat so the water and their area stays cold?
However, they don't brumate like others that bury themselves away for winter months? Do you still give basking temps for those 3-4 hours a day and do you still feed them? Beautiful pics and I see the look he gave you, wasn't too thrilled:D

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Barb as I understand it.. they gather in shallow water and "sleep" the winter away. The females from Travis [ PA ] had recently come out of brumation - the water was near freezing and they hadn't eaten for months! No basking temps for them.

There was no 'heated' basking in the above pics. We had an early 'frost' so they came in early.. then those crazy up & down temps thru March - again most likely they were not "down" low or long enough! No food offered for about a month.. and any that was offered was barely nibbled on. I intend to monitor the brumation better this season.

GoldCrown on the bottom of tub in early Feb. -

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
So, if I'm understanding correctly, when you bring them in, you still give no heat so the water and their area stays cold?
However, they don't brumate like others that bury themselves away for winter months? Do you still give basking temps for those 3-4 hours a day and do you still feed them? Beautiful pics and I see the look he gave you, wasn't too thrilled:D

Barb.. this should tell you more than you want to know - http://turtletary.com/specials.htm

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Goldcrown sure is a looker. Right being one of the better ones. Just seems like males with white skin with a golden white shell to match are few and far between.

Ill be giving you an update call this week and actually making some new topics on the forum.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
You are correct on both counts Travis.. soooooooooooo would you consider this one a "nice" one? [ some have seen these pics - had to have been the best trade ever made ] -

As I recall a 2011/2012? hatchling and 4" SCL if that - active breeder.. acts like anyway!!!