Going somewhere for the afternoon? HELP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

torilovestorts

5 Year Member
Okay, I've had my russian tortoise for 2 weeks & he's completely adjusted to his home. My boyfriend has a huge back yard & well I don't have a yard. So I was thinking, since it's gonna start getting in the cooler months soon, I figured I'd take him to my boyfriend's house tomorrow afternoon for some sunshine & exercise & to graze. The only problem is, I don't have really anything to put him in for the outside. So we'd have to take him inside when we come inside. & let him wander around his room. Well, we could stack pillows & keep him in a corner but I'll probably just keep him with me most of the day. But let him wonder around his room too, of course supervised.
Anyways. Is this a good idea? He doesn't really get stressed. I hold him everyday & he doesn't mind a bit. & since he'll be outside a lot & he'll be getting a lot of exercise, I bet it would be good. What should I bring? Should I even take him at all? Please reply soon because I have to decide by morning.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Leave him at home. Move to a place with a yard.

torilovestorts

5 Year Member
I couldn't move for another 2 years.. :/

So there's no way it'd be possible to take him?

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
You shouldn't need to take him with you he'll be just fine without you for a day. Do you have his heat lamp on a timer?

ra94131

5 Year Member
Colorado
torilovestorts said:
I couldn't move for another 2 years.. :/

So there's no way it'd be possible to take him?

It'd be possible, but he would need to be very closely monitored outside and indoors isn't really a place for a tortoise (enclosures obviously being the exception).

Plus excess handling/transportation can be stressful.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
A tortoise isn't like a dog that can be taken with you every where. If you have a large enough indoor enclosure, there shouldn't be an issue. I'm not seeing why the tortoise can not be left home.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

lkwagner

5 Year Member
A box or Rubbermaid tub for inside and these things from Home Depot for outside ImageUploadedByTortForum1375447007.729091.jpg ( they're only a couple bucks I bought like 20 of them).
I agree your tortoise will be fine left for the day, but this isn't your point your trying to give it some outside time. I think it would be fine if you actually have a way to enclose the tort but not if ur just going to let it roam inside and outside. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This sounds like the beginning of a I-lost-my-tortoise story. Don't take him. All it takes is a few seconds of inattention and your Russian tortoise is GONE!

torilovestorts

5 Year Member
Oh no! That'd be horrible. :(
Can anyone tell me why he climbs CONSTANTLY? ImageUploadedByTortForum1375462565.254208.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because he is not happy where he is. Russian tortoises require a lot of room to walk around. They are wanderers. If you have him in a small space he will continuously try to escape. They do much better set up outside in a safe, escape-proof pen.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Build this, and leave it in BF's yard...likely take an afternoon to put together:

tortoise_gp_run_1_1.jpg

Then, when you visit, your tort can get some sun, but can get out of it when he wants shade. PM me if you want instructions (assuming you and/or BF never took Jr. High Wood Shop).

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if you MUST take him elsewhere... then build a secure pen in the garden... DO NOT allow him to roam... picture above is perfect.. and don't allow him to roam in the house either.. not warm enough and not safe...

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Terry Allan Hall said:
Build this, and leave it in BF's yard...likely take an afternoon to put together:

tortoise_gp_run_1_1.jpg

Then, when you visit, your tort can get some sun, but can get out of it when he wants shade. PM me if you want instructions (assuming you and/or BF never took Jr. High Wood Shop).

The enclosed box looks like it could get pretty hot in the direct sun.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Sounds like his chance at outside time is at your boyfriend's. We're always yakking about outside time, so this is his chance!
Or maybe it is too late, you posted yesterday?

If not, or if there will be other chances, set up an outdoor enclosure at your boyfriend's, like Terry outlined (you can position it partly under a tree, or area of the yard that has some shade). Also hopefully on dirt.
Or use the side of the house with 3 sides made out of cement blocks or wood.
At night, bring him inside to a Rubbermaid with soil in it for him to burrow in.

Then take him back home with you when the visit is over. He sounds like a pretty healthy, active tortoise, and adaptable.
He won't mind going back and forth, if it means outside time. Plus, it will only mean adjusting to two different stable locations, which they can do easily, mine have.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Shelly said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

tortoise_gp_run_1_1.jpg

The enclosed box looks like it could get pretty hot in the direct sun.

Notice the section where the cavies are...the top flips down to give the inhabitants a nice dark hideboox...although if there's a likely tree available to set it up under, that'd be even better.

And it needs a large water dish, too, of course.

But the hide will be several degrees cooler than the sunny area and, again, it's an easy build project. Not really roomy enough to keep an adult tortoise in for the entire summer, but good enough for a visit.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Terry Allan Hall said:

tortoise_gp_run_1_1.jpg

Notice the section where the cavies are...the top flips down to give the inhabitants a nice dark hideboox...although if there's a likely tree available to set it up under, that'd be even better.

And it needs a large water dish, too, of course.

But the hide will be several degrees cooler than the sunny area and, again, it's an easy build project. Not really roomy enough to keep an adult tortoise in for the entire summer, but good enough for a visit.

Ditto this. Let us know what you decide to do!

torilovestorts

5 Year Member
I'm turning my bookshelf into a tortoise enclosure.
After that I'm taking his large cement mixing tub over to my boyfriend's for when he's inside. When he's outside I'm gonna put something together. It's gotta be something we can take down..

Status
Not open for further replies.