Getting started

Tommy Stuart

5 Year Member
Hey everyone, thank you for the warm welcome to the forum. After a week of looking around and reading on different species I have decided to set up my indoor closed chamber enclosure for a hatchling. I have already gotten my terra cotta saucers for eating and drinking as well as purchased my light fixtures. I am looking at different raised garden structures that i will close off for humidity, I also am a big fan of the custom insulated terrariums with the sliding glass viewing doors. Ive seen that some keepers don't use UVB bulbs however in an area where I can't get outside much I am concerned about calcium intake. I also am somewhat confused on Mercury vapor bulbs. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a great day.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Mercury Vapor Bulbs are all that I use for indoor habitats. I like this one:

mercury vapor bulb.jpg

...but it's pretty costly. There's a cheaper one, Exo Terra Solar Glo, but I don't have any experience with that one and haven't heard any feedback on it, so don't know if it's any good. It's about half the price of the Zoo Med light.

I only use 100 watt bulbs. In my experience, for my type of indoor habitats, anything with more wattage was just too hot.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thats the one I use for my leopard hatchling. I would next time use only one layer of the sides if its possibie with this as I think it would be easier to keep heat and humidity at tort level. I have blocked mine off so she only has half of it making it 2x4. Easier to get her as there is only one zippered opening on one side which is the only drawback. I layer foam insulation boards under it, laid a tarp over that and then brought the sides of the tarp up so no water, etc could leak out. Mine is in the basement so that's the reason for the insulation boards.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread ask questions whenever in doubt.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
As far as calcium goes , I have always been lucky in as much as Speedy has always enjoyed munching on cuttlebone. It kills 2 birds with one stone , he gets his calcium and keeps his beak worn down doing it ! Now that he is getting bigger I also add some crushed up egg shells to his food once a week . I am sure any of the commercial calcium products can be used , and may even be better for a hatchling . I used a 75 watt uv bulb from walmart in my 60 gallon aquarium , it worked well for me and was considerably cheaper !