Getting my tortoises microchiped?

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
Once my babies get larger I want to have them microchiped and I want a tracking device put on them. Would this be okay? I've seen way to many posts about tortoises getting lost and never seen again and I want to take every preventive measure to keep them home, healthy, and most importantly safe.
I know that some are escape artists and it scares the life out of me. I am getting my backyard fenced in this summer (the whole five acres) and I'm going to make sure that the bulldozers can't knock the fence over or dig under it, but I am still worried about losing them. My neighbor had red footed and yellow footed tortoises and one year someone stole them from her yard (one of my other worries!)

Mallykc

5 Year Member
I've seen people attach dog tags to them but always felt that was cruel. I've never thought of a microchip. I'd be interested in hearing others thoughts on this as well.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
There are many that have microchipped their tortoises, but I believe it is more common in Europe than in the US

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Microchips are not tracking devices and a lot of people get confused and think they are. They simply hold your information on them if scanned with a micro chip scanner.
If your tort goes missing no one is EVER going to think to check it for a chip..... and thus renders the chip useless...... maybe one day this could be a common thing but I personally believe you'd have a 1 in 100 chance of someone finding a tort and thinking to check it for a chip.

Goodluck :D

lkwagner

5 Year Member
happyjoyjoy said:
Microchips are not tracking devices and a lot of people get confused and think they are. They simply hold your information on them if scanned with a micro chip scanner.
If your tort goes missing no one is EVER going to think to check it for a chip..... and thus renders the chip useless...... maybe one day this could be a common thing but I personally believe you'd have a 1 in 100 chance of someone finding a tort and thinking to check it for a chip.

Goodluck :D

I 100% agree

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I also agree. No one will check for a chip. Now as for the dog take, it's not cruel, it's just epoxied on. However, it can also be easily removed. I think your best bet would be security cameras and alarm system.

If there is an actual tracking device that could be implanted, then that would work. But just a micro chip, which like already stated, is not a tracking device, will not work.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
wellington said:
I also agree. No one will check for a chip. Now as for the dog take, it's not cruel, it's just epoxied on. However, it can also be easily removed. I think your best bet would be security cameras and alarm system.

If there is an actual tracking device that could be implanted, then that would work. But just a micro chip, which like already stated, is not a tracking device, will not work.

Most of the time microchipping tortoises is strictly about ownership, not for a tortoises that goes missing. They are usually implanted in the prefemoral fossa on the right or left side typically at the time of endoscopical sexing. They can be glued under the carapace but someone could easily remove it.
They usually need to be sedated to put the chip in. Not a big deal but still requires sedation. For your purposes they do make a Lojak like collar for dogs where you might be able to just epoxy the transmitter part to the shell of the tortoise, then you would be able to track a missing tortoise as long as the transmitter is intact. There is a monthly charge for the service.

Mallykc

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Now as for the dog take, it's not cruel, it's just epoxied on. However, it can also be easily removed.

Oh that sounds better, the ones I've seen have been attached to the shell. Like they drilled a hole and attached it like you would on a dog collar.

argus333

5 Year Member
my neighbors dog ran away was found by a vet 62 miles north 3 days later. was returned thanks to chip.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
All of my animals are microchipped except torts.
6 dogs, 3 cats, 2 horses
And I will do the torts if there is a way, when they are outside permanently, and left unattended.

It gives some peace of mind. And HOPE if they do get lost.
The finders may not think to scan. But if lost or stolen, an all out publicity campaign may remind the community to look for a microchipped animal. Will at least give a thief pause for thought. Microchipped animals have been reunited, because of the chips, even years later.