Getting african grey parrot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jockma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles County
@Rue I "share" a conure with my uncle that overpreens and occasionally plucks. He has an anxiety disorder, no other way to describe it. He was born this way. The breeder (who was excellent) even warned us about it, none of the other conures had this problem.

It was hard at first but I like to think about how good his quality of life is. Yeah, he gets anxious and overpreens to cope, he gets REALLY anxious and overpreens and plucks a bit, but he's happy and healthy otherwise and he's in the best situation he can be in. I'm sure the same can be said about your girl.

It's just sad that birds that went through trauma and neglect and used plucking as a coping mechanism for the stress and loneliness struggle to break that coping mechanism when they're adopted and their life improves. But it did improve! I'm sure your girl is happy and appreciative of the good care you give her in her own way, bald or not. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's just sad that birds that went through trauma and neglect and used plucking as a coping mechanism for the stress and loneliness struggle to break that coping mechanism when they're adopted and their life improves. But it did improve! I'm sure your girl is happy and appreciative of the good care you give her in her own way, bald or not. :)

Don't want to ruffle any feathers, but trauma, neglect, stress and loneliness are not the cause of plucking. The cause is not known and every theory that has been proposed has been refuted with many cases that demonstrate otherwise.

I repeat what I said earlier in the thread: I have yet to see any parrot that learned to fly as a fledgeling pluck. It might exist, but if it does, it is rare. I've raised many birds, including a few that plucked, and this seems to be universal. No bird that I let fly for its first few months after fledging has ever plucked. Every plucker that I've seen, and the person knew its history, was clipped as soon as it could fly. The theory I've heard proposed is that certain neural connections happen in the brain with flight and controlling one's self while airborne that cannot happen any other way. If these neural connections are not made in a young parrots brain, they will sometimes pluck themselves later in life. Often the plucking doesn't start until maturity at 3-4 years old. If these neural connections are made in the young bird, they will not pluck themselves later on in life, whether they are clipped or not.

This thread is making me want to research this topic again and see if anything new has been learned. A good friend of mine is a board certified avian vet. I'm going to call him and ask! :)

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I honestly don't know where to find info anymore. Most of what I read anymore is from "cookie" trainers. Positive reinforcement training is great and it works, but there is just more to it than that with a potentially aggressive, intelligent, highly social animal. Cookies and treats work great as long as the person is the top "bird" in the hierarchy. This status can be achieved many ways, and every parrot and situation is different. The most successful trainers who espouse the "positive reinforcement only" techniques are also masters at subtly gaining the upper hand in the dominance hierarchy. I find that most of them don't even know they are doing it. I get called in to help their "disciples" who don't have their master's ability to quietly assert dominance. In short: The best way I explain to other trainers to handle their parrots is to treat them like an old world monkey. Do that and you'll have a happy parrot and a great relationship. You know how to handle old world monkeys, right @Fredkas ??? :p

I think most will agree that a pelleted diets as a base, supplemented with a wide variety of seeds and nuts, fruits, vegetables, and pastas is a good way to go. I give my birds a little of whatever I'm eating with the exception of meats, dairy, fried foods and sugary treats, of which I eat a lot… :)

I suppose the wing clipping thing is controversial. There is no doubt that allowing them to fly in a safe way has benefit, but it also has risk. Whether the risk outweighs the benefit is an individual decision. I don't fault people who see it differently than I do, but I also have experience flying birds in crazy situations that most pet birds will never see. In my business we have four main types of birds we fly: Raptors, corvids, pigeons and parrots. Each of these four groups has its own little quirks and subtleties. I love working with all four types and have been lucky to work with a few oddballs that don't fit these stereotypical parameters too, like Turacos, vultures, and several smaller passerines like canaries, starlings, etc...
I am seriously don't know what is old world monkey. i have to google it, and sure don't know how to handle a monkey at all. i know how to handle dogs.. and of course tortoises :p
Now the only concern about parrot is their poop, i still thinking whether i can handle it.

And here comes the other research from tom "the plucking"
But seriously this is good if we can know the exact real cause.

I am going off topic, bladder stone for tortoise tom, you better research this deeper, i call you in one thread. you should read it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am seriously don't know what is old world monkey. i have to google it, and sure don't know how to handle a monkey at all.

You know… Old World Monkeys. Macaques, baboons, langurs, mangabeys, etc… Handle your parrot just like you'd handle one of those monkeys. :p

Fredkas

5 Year Member
You know… Old World Monkeys. Macaques, baboons, langurs, mangabeys, etc… Handle your parrot just like you'd handle one of those monkeys. :p
I would never go near one of those. which means i will never go near parrot? :(:D

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
@Tom No worries, no feathers were ruffled. :p Yes, I know mine did not experience any trauma or other external stress but he plucks. I associate it with stress and trauma because I know many people with rescue cockatoos and all of those cockatoos pluck, mine had a happy life so I'm sure there are other factors.

I did not know there was much research behind it. All of the birds coming from this breeder were full-flight, but I did clip his wings once he moved to a part of the house that had many windows. He was already plucking at the time, however, so I don't know...maybe they clipped their wings when they were younger to minimize risks and then let their feathers grow out later on.

I noticed mine prefers to pluck his WINGS. It began as overpreening, then he plucked his wings. Not a lot, but enough to have "bald" patches here and there. He plucks his chest sometimes as well. But it waxes and wanes. His feathers are almost all in now. Anyone ever have experience with a plucker that prefers wings?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi Fred , I know I am jumping in sort of late here , just found this thread ! :confused: If I were going to give you advice I would tell you Grey's and Cockatoo's are really not "first time birds" . I would suggest something bit smaller , perhaps a green cheek conure especially if you aren't sure if you have the time . Now you have my 2 cents also ! :D

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Hi Fred , I know I am jumping in sort of late here , just found this thread ! :confused: If I were going to give you advice I would tell you Grey's and Cockatoo's are really not "first time birds" . I would suggest something bit smaller , perhaps a green cheek conure especially if you aren't sure if you have the time . Now you have my 2 cents also ! :D
I am not really a first time if we talk about birds and parrots. my family own several cockatoos in several separate time period. i saw and touch parkeets and love birds a lot. my family even breed love birds once.
But grey will be the first time. still thanks a lot for the opinion.
But hey, i decided it. yes you are right, my limitation is time. and that factor alone make me decided not getting any parrot soon.
Another but, i am growing passion towards parrots. This should be in the future although the time still unknown (i will only get parrots if i am sure 100% i can give them my time), i will own a macaw, i am locking my target lol, a blue and gold macaw, or green wing macaw.
Grey, nope, their personality is a bit tricky.
Cockatoos, too demanding, and i saw several, not really special to me anymore.
Macaw, this is great, scarlet gorgeous, but the personality, i am towards bng or green wing.
Another smaller parrots, hey... i love sulcata for a reason, they get big! you know what i mean :p

Do you have any parrots? come on talk about them a bit.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Do you have a separate bird room in your house?
My wife had an African grey for a while and it made the sound that our alarm does when it arms or disarms so well that I kept getting out of bed to check on it. He also spoke a lot. Unfortunately for us it was all unflattering terms and cursive language.........And in Spanish. And unprovoked.
He loved knawing on items meant for him as well as anything else he could grab and loved being outside of his cage so that he could explore and terrorize the other occupants of the house. He also loved tossing food items as far as he could. Sometimes he fed the dog and the dog would sit and beg for the bird.
The bird hated me and eventually we moved him forward to a person with a lot of parrot experience. And parrot patience. .
My wife still has her bird room. Now with more peaceful canaries and Finches. But with quite a bit of crown molding and window frames that still remind us of "BO" because they are chewed up.
If we had to do it all over again I think I would have to build her a very large walk in aviary outside.
My parrot experience was probably like that of a Sulcata owner with a 20 gallon fish tank....Soon to be overwhelmed.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I am not really a first time if we talk about birds and parrots. my family own several cockatoos in several separate time period. i saw and touch parkeets and love birds a lot. my family even breed love birds once.
But grey will be the first time. still thanks a lot for the opinion.
But hey, i decided it. yes you are right, my limitation is time. and that factor alone make me decided not getting any parrot soon.
Another but, i am growing passion towards parrots. This should be in the future although the time still unknown (i will only get parrots if i am sure 100% i can give them my time), i will own a macaw, i am locking my target lol, a blue and gold macaw, or green wing macaw.
Grey, nope, their personality is a bit tricky.
Cockatoos, too demanding, and i saw several, not really special to me anymore.
Macaw, this is great, scarlet gorgeous, but the personality, i am towards bng or green wing.
Another smaller parrots, hey... i love sulcata for a reason, they get big! you know what i mean :p

Do you have any parrots? come on talk about them a bit.

I understand , I just wouldn't have the room for the largest parrot so, I went for the smallest ! :D They are called "pocket parrots" and are smaller than the lovebirds you mentioned ! Their closest relatives are the Amazon parrots . They are very smart and trainable , fair talkers , and cannot screech . This is Paco , my wifes fav . :)

100_6442.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I understand , I just wouldn't have the room for the largest parrot so, I went for the smallest ! :D They are called "pocket parrots" and are smaller than the lovebirds you mentioned ! Their closest relatives are the Amazon parrots . They are very smart and trainable , fair talkers , and cannot screech . This is Paco , my wifes fav . :)

View attachment 192292
He/she looks just like the wild parrots that live here in south Florida...Except they are bright lime green.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Do you have a separate bird room in your house?
My wife had an African grey for a while and it made the sound that our alarm does when it arms or disarms so well that I kept getting out of bed to check on it. He also spoke a lot. Unfortunately for us it was all unflattering terms and cursive language.........And in Spanish. And unprovoked.
He loved knawing on items meant for him as well as anything else he could grab and loved being outside of his cage so that he could explore and terrorize the other occupants of the house. He also loved tossing food items as far as he could. Sometimes he fed the dog and the dog would sit and beg for the bird.
The bird hated me and eventually we moved him forward to a person with a lot of parrot experience. And parrot patience. .
My wife still has her bird room. Now with more peaceful canaries and Finches. But with quite a bit of crown molding and window frames that still remind us of "BO" because they are chewed up.
If we had to do it all over again I think I would have to build her a very large walk in aviary outside.
My parrot experience was probably like that of a Sulcata owner with a 20 gallon fish tank....Soon to be overwhelmed.
I read your story and this is something that make me doubt also, i want a well manner parrot.
It's ok, i will comeback to research all those when i am sure i can give them time. now i postponed all this thought.
Or maybe i just adopt one aldabra and enjoy it :p

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I read your story and this is something that make me doubt also, i want a well manner parrot.
It's ok, i will comeback to research all those when i am sure i can give them time. now i postponed all this thought.
Or maybe i just adopt one aldabra and enjoy it :p
Well if you want a well mannered parrot you should have said so , how about my Indian Ringneck ? He is very well behaved ! ;)

100_6047.jpg

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I had an African Grey in the last for 18 years. They're very much like having a child. Very intelligent and very emotional. They require a great deal of attention, training, foraging opportunities, toys, constructive out of cage time, baths, sunshine, proper diet. In those days, many parrots wings were clipped, and people were talking about allowing parrots to fly. Despite my best efforts, she did develop some neurosis and began to pluck her feathers. After medical issues were ruled out, I was told it was like " nail biting". Once it started, it was hard to stop. Our parrots in captivity aren't flying miles a day, they generally don't have a true " flock", aren't raising babies and live with a variety of fears.
This parrot died in 2005.
Last year I purchased a Grey from a great Breeder in Texas. She was fledged and unfortunately her wings were trimmed before she was shipped.
I have allowed her wings to grow out. we had a lot of work to do around the house, to prepare for safe flying. All blinds were changed, to prevent her nails getting caught. Vertical blinds were hung on all downstairs windows. All mirrors were taken down.
When she is out to fly the following check list is reviewed:
Doors locked, all blinds are pulled down and partially closed, bathroom doors closed, sink water is drained, make sure the stove is off, dogs water bowl is covered, flat screen T.V.s are turned on, ceiling fans are off. I'm sure there is more.
Her cage is centrally located in the house, so she is part of the family. We generally eat our meals with her, as her flock would do. She is taken outside twice daily for walks in a stroller with the dogs. This parrot has traveled, in a truck and travel trailer over 10,000 miles, in the last year. We're traveling at this moment. It's good for them to get out and see things.IMG_0185.JPGIMG_0196.JPGIMG_3258.JPG
We don't cook with teflon and don't use aresols in the house.
We're very careful with our reinforcements, as one can easily encourage an undesirable behavior, by accident. That can be a nightmare.
Dogs are so much easier, but I take great joy in having a parrot in the house. She's like our child.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
You're just the kind of person for a parrot. Patient and with the time it takes to do things correctly.
As for my wife and I, we had no idea that one would need so much attention.
I think that most people are not aware.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I don't know they need so much attention too. luckily i have this forum and i asked. i am happy i can hold my thought. until now, i don't know dog or parrot need more attention, but sure both of them need a whole lot more than tortoises.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I had an African Grey in the last for 18 years. They're very much like having a child. Very intelligent and very emotional. They require a great deal of attention, training, foraging opportunities, toys, constructive out of cage time, baths, sunshine, proper diet. In those days, many parrots wings were clipped, and people were talking about allowing parrots to fly. Despite my best efforts, she did develop some neurosis and began to pluck her feathers. After medical issues were ruled out, I was told it was like " nail biting". Once it started, it was hard to stop. Our parrots in captivity aren't flying miles a day, they generally don't have a true " flock", aren't raising babies and live with a variety of fears.
This parrot died in 2005.
Last year I purchased a Grey from a great Breeder in Texas. She was fledged and unfortunately her wings were trimmed before she was shipped.
I have allowed her wings to grow out. we had a lot of work to do around the house, to prepare for safe flying. All blinds were changed, to prevent her nails getting caught. Vertical blinds were hung on all downstairs windows. All mirrors were taken down.
When she is out to fly the following check list is reviewed:
Doors locked, all blinds are pulled down and partially closed, bathroom doors closed, sink water is drained, make sure the stove is off, dogs water bowl is covered, flat screen T.V.s are turned on, ceiling fans are off. I'm sure there is more.
Her cage is centrally located in the house, so she is part of the family. We generally eat our meals with her, as her flock would do. She is taken outside twice daily for walks in a stroller with the dogs. This parrot has traveled, in a truck and travel trailer over 10,000 miles, in the last year. We're traveling at this moment. It's good for them to get out and see things.View attachment 192449View attachment 192450View attachment 192451
We don't cook with teflon and don't use aresols in the house.
We're very careful with our reinforcements, as one can easily encourage an undesirable behavior, by accident. That can be a nightmare.
Dogs are so much easier, but I take great joy in having a parrot in the house. She's like our child.

Sounds like you have things well squared away and she is lucky to have you ! This has turned out to be a great thread , so that potential parrot owners can get some conception of how "labor intensive" owning parrots is ! Like anything else , you get out of it what you are willing to put into it. It has its rewards as I am sure you know. We are lucky , we are retired and have the time to devote to our pets !
m1265.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.