Getting a rescue, advice needed.

MirPR13

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hi, So sometime today a good friend of mine is bringing me a Tortoise. I have never had a Tortoise, I've never really wanted one (Heard their care was extreme) and I don't know a lot about them. I'm honestly pretty nervous.
I don't even know what kind of Tortoise it is.

I tend to be that one person that everyone calls about animal problems, or asking me to take in rescues or strays. I am now in Aerospace but before that I was going to be a veterinarian and worked in a hospital for years. I have had just about every kind of animal under my care, except Tortoises'/Turtles.

The other night, late at night, I get a call from my friend. He works as a nurse of sorts for people with mental illnesses. He said it was an emergency and asked if I can take a Tortoise. I asked him why and he said in one of the homes he visits, a woman had one locked in a closet, saying that she wanted to kill it. Apparently it was her ex's, the ex moved out and left the Tortoise. She had a grudge against this ex, so she put the Tortoise in a closet and hoped that by turning off the heating lamps, it would die. He says that she told him that she has had it in the closet for 3 months. I don't know how truthful it is or how it could have survived that long.
She asked my friend to take it, otherwise she was going to put it outside. We live in Oregon, it's cold and damp and I definitely don't see it surviving outside.
I agreed to take in the Tortoise, but I told him that I don't think I am the best home for it, so I may have to re-home it.
I told my kids about it, now they are excited and trying to do all kinds of research about them through YouTube. They are already picking out names. My husband is not pleased, he is not much of an animal person like myself. He'd be happy if we didn't have any, but he's ok with it due to the situation.
So this is my dilemma, My feelings are to care for this animal for awhile. It's probably been through a lot already and taking it in and then quickly rushing it off to some other unknown situation bothers my conscious.

How reasonable is it to take care of it short term? What do I need? I do own a snake, so I figured the care is pretty equal as far as habitat. Should I immediately take it to a vet?
Does anyone know of any good rescue groups in Oregon? I don't want to put it on Craigslist.
Advice please.

I can post pictures once I get it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

We have many Oregon members, in fact, my sister lives in Corvallis and she takes in rescues all the time.

First thing you need to do is put the tortoise into a tub of warm water. Use something he can't climb out of. Just leave him sitting in the water for at least a half hour. Don't make it too deep, but deep enough that he can easily submerge his whole head to drink.

Next thing is we need to see pictures so we can give you the appropriate help for the species.

MirPR13

Oregon
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

We have many Oregon members, in fact, my sister lives in Corvallis and she takes in rescues all the time.

First thing you need to do is put the tortoise into a tub of warm water. Use something he can't climb out of. Just leave him sitting in the water for at least a half hour. Don't make it too deep, but deep enough that he can easily submerge his whole head to drink.

Next thing is we need to see pictures so we can give you the appropriate help for the species.

Nice, I am only about an hour from Corvallis. I'm in Newberg.
What will the warm water bath do?
I have one picture that was texted to me the other night, but I am not sure if it'll help. I'll get more later when he arrives.
I might see if my vet can squeeze him in tomorrow for a wellness check when I take my cat in.
tort.jpg

MirPR13

Oregon
He's here. I had an extra snake set up. I figured this would do for now. Any suggestions on things I should pick up tonight at the Pet store.
Any idea what he/she is and the sex?

MirPR13

Oregon
I also was just told that the woman who had him told my friend that she wanted to freeze him and then boil him for the shell. :(

MirPR13

Oregon
Hi, I joined earlier today with questions regarding a rescue that I took in this morning. Here is my introduction and the story:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/getting-a-rescue-advice-needed.153138/

So I had an extra snake set up and decided to use it for the Tortoise. I hope it's good enough for now.
I used Coconut fiber for bedding.
I am completely new to this. I don't know what I am doing.
I'm heading to the local pet store later today for a few things, what sort of supplies is suggested?
So far I'm guessing a UVB light and maybe calcium.
Do they need toys, plants?
turtle1.jpg turtle4.jpg turtle5.jpg

MirPR13

Oregon
Also any idea what type he/she is and the sex? I'm just calling him a he until I know otherwise. turtle 2.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Don't get anything at the pet store untill you've made a list. They'll sell you anything there.
You need a source of UVB and heat.
Let's see the type of lights you have.
Also, you'll need a much bigger enclosure right off the bat.

MirPR13

Oregon
He/She doesn't seem to be too shy so far. He isn't hiding and every time I talk to him, he or she starts bobbing his head at me which I read can be a sign of aggression. I guess better that than being completely terrified.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's a male Russian (Testudo horsefieldii). The aquarium is too small for a Russian tortoise. A lot of folks go around to yard or garage sales trying to find a used book case for cheap. Then you lay it on its back, remove the shelves, line it with plastic to protect the wood and add all the stuff the tortoise needs.

Most of us use clay plant saucers for water because you can recess it into the substrate and the sloping sides make it easy for the tortoise to climb out. I have pieces of broken concrete that I fee my tortoises on. The rough surface helps keep the beak trimmed.

Don't buy the coil-shaped bulb. If this tortoise isn't going to live outside, you'll need a UVB light - either a Mercury Vapor Bulb or a tube type fluorescent bulb.

Then he'll need about 5 or 6 inches of substrate. Coco coir is fine. And, of course a hiding place. If you want to decorate the habitat, you can use either fake or real plants.