Getting a New Tortoise

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
@Gary Gerrard sent this to me in a private conversation. I think Gary will be better served if all of you have a chance to answer his concerns:

"I am getting my 1st horsefield tortoise soon and am still trying to figure a few things out. I am going to use soil and coco coir as a substrate what is the best top soil to use? Organic or regular and do i need a coco coir from a pet store or the cheapest one i can find? I have found some for a £1 for a 8 litre block were as from a pet store it is £2 plus so obvs would like to get the £1 block. Also the heat lamp i am going to use a combined uv/heat what watt is the best to get? And will be making a table what is the best wood to use? I will be waterproofing it and putting a rubber pond mat on the bottom sorry for all the questions relay appreciate any replys

Gary Gerrard

I do appologise i dnt know what im doing but think i may have realised again sorry for sending it 2 you privatly

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Gary, and welcome to the Forum! Not a problem. You'd be surprised how many new members do that.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi there Gary, welcome from Texas! Glad you have found us here! Please be patient, the Forum format will become second nature to you over time. I'm speaking from experience, it used to be stressful to me too at the beginning. Our brains are wired just little differently and that is totally ok. Let's wait for your chosen tort species experts to chime in with advice for you. I keep the Redfooted , they are tropical species. Meanwhile browse through the Forum site to familiarize yourself with the features. It's great to have you here. Would you tell us a bit about yourself? Only as much as you are comfortable revealing? About yourself and your tortoise interest? All if us here have at least this one thing in common: love of Torts:)

Gary Gerrard

Hi there Gary, welcome from Texas! Glad you have found us here! Please be patient, the Forum format will become second nature to you over time. I'm speaking from experience, it used to be stressful to me too at the beginning. Our brains are wired just little differently and that is totally ok. Let's wait for your chosen tort species experts to chime in with advice for you. I keep the Redfooted , they are tropical species. Meanwhile browse through the Forum site to familiarize yourself with the features. It's great to have you here. Would you tell us a bit about yourself? Only as much as you are comfortable revealing? About yourself and your tortoise interest? All if us here have at least this one thing in common: love of Torts:)

Hi there. I have had a little look around just trtimg to get myself used to things. Iam froM liverpool england so dnt have great son like you do in texas i has a cousin living there she always puts her temps on facebook usualy in the 90s but will be putting my tortoise outside when it is warm. I have two beautiful children who are my world. I used to have terrapins as a child but had to get rid as was to big so been looking at tortoises now jst think there a great animal been doing some reaserch am going to be growing my own food just waiting for it to arrive and am realy looking forward to getting started iam getting a horsefield bought a captive bread and is around 1years old have bought him from the tortoise shop hope this is enough thanks for the reply

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Fantastic!!! Horsefield will be perfect fir your climate zone! As for that Texas sun... we get so sick of it during summer! But then things are great for the remaining 8-9 months of the year so it's really ok. Again great to have you. I hope you enjoy your time on this forum. P.s. I have 3 children, who are also my world:)