Geoclemys Hamiltonii

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
Thought I'd share some pictures of this guy. I haven't done any updates on him since that first aquascape thread, but he's grown quite a bit. He's spent the most time outdoors of any of the turtles since we moved. Mostly because he's been in a heated trough, but these guys are really hardy. I had the heater break while he was out one night, water temp went down to 50 and he was still swimming around. I fished him out, warmed him back up, and he ate two minutes later. That's the other thing about Hamiltonii—they eat A LOT. I have to watch myself because he is so active and so courageous, it's tempting to feed him multiple times a day. He's one of the only turtles that will still come to me for food when outside. I buy sinking pellets for the others because they forget everything that happened while they were indoors the minute they go into the pond. I'm thinking of putting the Hamiltonii in our 5,000 gallon goldfish pond this summer. It is in full sun and heats up well. I'm a little bit concerned that I won't be able to see him because of his size, but I think he will be okay. The pond is crystal clear, tons of feeders and he is so personable that I can't imagine not seeing him everyday. We'll see. I'll post a whole thing if I decide to do it. Hiding areas, plants, shallow areas, logs to help him reach the surface, etc.

Here he is:

VM7A5186.JPG
VM7A5189.JPG

Im really upset that I messed up these shots. Didn't realize until I got on the computer.

VM7A5194.JPG
VM7A5199.JPG

Thanks for reading.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I love this species. I have a couple sources for them in CA, but I just don't need any more pets to take care of. I will enjoy reading all about yours.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I love this species. I have a couple sources for them in CA, but I just don't need any more pets to take care of. I will enjoy reading all about yours.

Thanks Tom. It's especially hard with such a large, "tropical" species. If they didn't need to come in during winter, I'd have ten of them tomorrow. They are so beautiful and so personable. I wouldn't be surprised if they could handle a socal winter, but in the same way that a sulcata could handle a winter without a nightbox. Possible, but nowhere near ideal. Whether or not I ever breed these guys really depends on how big he gets. If he stays average size, I could look for a small adult female. But if he turns into one of the tanks that I've seen so many pictures of, he'll remain a very pretty pet. I'll keep this thread updated throughout summer.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Although they are easily available now here in Florida---and cheap too---I've held back on acquiring them due to space restraints.
But I agree with both you and Tom in that hamiltoni are a very cool species in every way. They are incredibly beautiful turtles.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thought I'd share some pictures of this guy. I haven't done any updates on him since that first aquascape thread, but he's grown quite a bit. He's spent the most time outdoors of any of the turtles since we moved. Mostly because he's been in a heated trough, but these guys are really hardy. I had the heater break while he was out one night, water temp went down to 50 and he was still swimming around. I fished him out, warmed him back up, and he ate two minutes later. That's the other thing about Hamiltonii—they eat A LOT. I have to watch myself because he is so active and so courageous, it's tempting to feed him multiple times a day. He's one of the only turtles that will still come to me for food when outside. I buy sinking pellets for the others because they forget everything that happened while they were indoors the minute they go into the pond. I'm thinking of putting the Hamiltonii in our 5,000 gallon goldfish pond this summer. It is in full sun and heats up well. I'm a little bit concerned that I won't be able to see him because of his size, but I think he will be okay. The pond is crystal clear, tons of feeders and he is so personable that I can't imagine not seeing him everyday. We'll see. I'll post a whole thing if I decide to do it. Hiding areas, plants, shallow areas, logs to help him reach the surface, etc.

Here he is:

View attachment 201359
View attachment 201360

Im really upset that I messed up these shots. Didn't realize until I got on the computer.

View attachment 201361
View attachment 201362

Thanks for reading.
WOW!!! ;)

scuba113

I didn't know they have any. I know they are selling radiated and Burmese stars. Thank you I will contact them really looking for a adult male if possible.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
likely can not get them from Behler unless you live in California. They are ESA listed ( don't get me started on ESA non native species to the US). Therefore you either have to have a CBW permit for hamiltonii or live in Calif. same goes for Fla. Lots of people have them down there but very few have permits to get across state lines.

scuba113

Yea I know the laws on them. Thats why I asked for California. They are dirt cheap in Florida because almost everyone has them and cant cross them without the permit. You can gift them but thats still a gray area and they dont like that.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
I guess you could get them as a gift and pay the ship and (handling fee) to get them. Wink Wink

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yea I know that but cant risk me or my friends getting into trouble for that.
Smart man. Or woman, if that is the case…

My friend only has little juveniles. Behler would be the place to ask. I'll text their vet and ask about sub-adults or adults. If yes, I'll put you in contact with them.

I'd like to see more of these bred, and I'm happy to help make that happen. Maybe someday I'll be able to buy a baby from you! :)

scuba113

Thank you Tom. I know people that have bought from them before but radiated tortoises before they started selling to the public but thank you if you can find a adult sub adult that I can afford I will have no problem selling you a baby.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
likely can not get them from Behler unless you live in California. They are ESA listed ( don't get me started on ESA non native species to the US). Therefore you either have to have a CBW permit for hamiltonii or live in Calif. same goes for Fla. Lots of people have them down there but very few have permits to get across state lines.

What if a Florida resident relocates to another state? Can they bring their "pet" turtles?

zovick

10 Year Member!
What if a Florida resident relocates to another state? Can they bring their "pet" turtles?

Yes. You can take your own endangered turtles/tortoises with you to wherever you happen to move. You just can't sell them to a resident of a state other than that state which is your own legal residence.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Yes. You can take your own endangered turtles/tortoises with you to wherever you happen to move. You just can't sell them to a resident of a state other than that state which is your own legal residence.

To the statement above, I might add this disclaimer: "unless both the buyer and seller have CBW Permits for the species involved in such a sale".

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Tom. I know people that have bought from them before but radiated tortoises before they started selling to the public but thank you if you can find a adult sub adult that I can afford I will have no problem selling you a baby.

Did you find an adult at the Behler center?