Garlic as and alternative to antibiotics

Jibwa

Hi,
Please help!
My Sulcate is not eating as much as usual. I took her to the vet and she was treated for parasites. However he also saw a lot of mucus in her mouth which he thinks may be a respiratory infection. The treatment, he said, is a series of antibiotic shots. In $ I am looking at about $700. I can not afford that. I have always used propolis and garlic as cold and flu remedies on my children. I can't help wondering if I can do the same for my tortoise.
Can any one speak into this please?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi @Jibwa and a very warm welcome to the forum. :)

Sorry, cannot answer your question: am no tort expert, but please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread, where you may find an answer to your question, and post pics of your tort and his enclosure. This would enable us to help you more easily. ;)

Where do you live, and what's the weather like back there now?

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I think chelonians do eat wild onion tops, so garlic would probably at least be harmless, if you can get it in them. Might have to use a deodorized concentrate.
Also i wonder if colloidal silver would work. Many people i know swear by it. Or olive leaf extract.
I seldom get sick (knock on wood) so i have limited experience.
Goldenseal is supposed to be another strong antibiotic, but it is also very bitter.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
$700 seems pretty darned high. A whole bottle of Baytril is $35 and it has many more injections than would be required to treat one tortoise.

I don't usually resort to antibiotics unless the mucous turns thick and colored. And unless the vet tested that mucous, and knows for sure that it's caused by an infection, I wouldn't go the antibiotic route anyway.

How big is this tortoise? Just make sure he's warm enough and don't let him get cold. In fact, if possible, warm him up to about 85F and keep him there for a couple weeks.

I don't know about the garlic question but here's a older thread that talks about it:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/garlic-to-make-a-tortoise-eat.117366/

Jibwa

Thank you so much for the replies. I have given her some Propolis and a very small sliver of garlic. However, she still has no appetite and moves even slower than usual. I live in South Florida and the temp was around 60 at night but now we're back up to 70 and 80s. I think I might have to force feed her. Any suggestions on how to do that?

Jibwa 2.JPG Jibwa's home.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't try to force feed the tortoise. They can go a long time without eating with no harm. What I WOULD is to try to get some heat into the night time shelter for those cold nights, or else bring the tortoise inside, in a cardboard box, with a CHE over it on cold nights.

CHE = Ceramic Heat Emitter ceramic heat emitter.jpg

Jibwa

Hi @Jibwa and a very warm welcome to the forum. :)

Sorry, cannot answer your question: am no tort expert, but please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread, where you may find an answer to your question, and post pics of your tort and his enclosure. This would enable us to help you more easily. ;)

Where do you live, and what's the weather like back there now?[/QUOTE

Hi, I live in South Florida. The temp dropped to 60s at night but no it's back up to 70s and 80s.

Attachments

• Jibwa's home.JPG
    Jibwa's home.JPG
    445.7 KB · Views: 6

Jibwa

I wouldn't try to force feed the tortoise. They can go a long time without eating with no harm. What I WOULD is to try to get some heat into the night time shelter for those cold nights, or else bring the tortoise inside, in a cardboard box, with a CHE over it on cold nights.

CHE = Ceramic Heat Emitter View attachment 193081

Ok Thanks.
I was just outside watching her sunning and I heard her make like a hacking sound.
You mentioned that Baytril is only $35. Where can I obtain?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I buy mine from my horse vet, but you can get the injections from your dog vet. They'll weigh the tortoise and determine how much each dose is, then fill syringes for you. It should cost vet visit, exotic exam, medication. That' shouldn't add up to $700.

But before you go the antibiotic route, warm the tortoise up and see if that doesn't help.

Jibwa

I buy mine from my horse vet, but you can get the injections from your dog vet. They'll weigh the tortoise and determine how much each dose is, then fill syringes for you. It should cost vet visit, exotic exam, medication. That' shouldn't add up to $700.

But before you go the antibiotic route, warm the tortoise up and see if that doesn't help.

He said that I would need 14 shoots at $50 each :/ . This is South Florida where everything is expensive. But ok I will try heating her home.
Thanks so much.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The usual dose of Baytril is once injection a day for five days, OR 1 injection every other day for 10 days. You can also dilute it 9 parts sterile saline to 1 part Baytril and squirt it up the nose.

Jibwa

The usual dose of Baytril is once injection a day for five days, OR 1 injection every other day for 10 days. You can also dilute it 9 parts sterile saline to 1 part Baytril and squirt it up the nose.

Can I just order some online? I saw this for $51
2.27% 20 ml
upload_2016-11-25_16-19-41.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-25_16-21-11.png
    upload_2016-11-25_16-21-11.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 4

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would also suggest bumping up the overnight heat. Your sully just might be cold and not eating 'cause of that. When was the last time he had a good, long soak in warm water. A good soak, coupled with a heated night box, should help a lot.