garden veggies? (corn, husks, stalks, beans)

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
today i saw a you tube video showing a sulcata eating carrot sticks, corn on the cob and the husks. hadn't ever thought of feeding my tort the husks or corn on the cob. is that okay to do occasionally? i just went through my garden the other day and took all the "tillers" off of my corn stalks and we are feeding them to our horse, but wondered if they would be safe to feed my sulcata?

also, are green beans, peas, or limas okay to feed occasionally as well? just had never thought of feeding any of these types of things until i saw that video.

(of course, i feed a wide assortment of lettuce, kale, dandelion, mazuri, greens, squash, and other things to my tort, so the corn and beans would only be an occasional thing.)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most purists tell you to only feed grass and weeds. I offer all my tortoises everything, but in moderation. They all occasionally will get a few ears of corn including the green part and silk. They all occasionally get pumpkin, squash, bell peppers with the seeds. But their main diet is grass and weeds. These other items don't make up any kind of a majority, but are merely a treat.

(And, just because you saw it on you tube, that doesn't mean it was posted by someone who knows what he's doing)

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
Most purists tell you to only feed grass and weeds. I offer all my tortoises everything, but in moderation. They all occasionally will get a few ears of corn including the green part and silk. They all occasionally get pumpkin, squash, bell peppers with the seeds. But their main diet is grass and weeds. These other items don't make up any kind of a majority, but are merely a treat.

(And, just because you saw it on you tube, that doesn't mean it was posted by someone who knows what he's doing)

474158gy04azrh2x.gif
you bet yvonne - about you tube. i just saw a video where a guy at a "zoo" in a uniform was teaching kids about sulcatas and told them the difference between a tortoise and a turtle was that turtles have smooth shells and tortoises have lumpy ones. :eek: yep! i was in shock. wow!!! there are some cute youtube tortoise videos out there, :) but there's a lot that just make me downright mad. :mad: THANKS for the advice. i appreciate it. i try to give a wide variety. my gal is still young (3 yo next month) and i'm still working with her to get her to eat hay. since hubby's got a lot for the horse, i'll be glad when it's a much bigger part of her diet as well. thanks!

sulcata2014

Florida
I'm going to feed my sulcata some corn husks today for the first time. I'm going to cut them into smaller pieces b/c I'm not sure how well they will digest. I think they will go through more like grass, but maybe he can get a little fiber from this roughage! I'll post how it went in and came out-LOL!