Garden plants in Colorado

kallylou

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hello - We just secured a plot in our community garden and want to plant some great veggies/plants that Speedy and we can eat as a family. Any thoughts on best options for Colorado (Denver/Lakewood) growth? Definitely planning Kale, Romaine, possibly peas and some edible flowers. Any input is much appreciated!

Kristen & Speedy

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
How exciting!

These recommendations are general, not specific to your area, but the plants I mention are all easy to grow and should adapt to your climate.

Your tortoises does not need more than the occasional bite of squash or cucumber; you might consider growing things that he can eat the leaves of, more than vegetables.

I would start by walking around the garden to see what is successfully growing right now. What is the usual start of the growing season there; I assume in Spring after chances of frost have passed? But if you spy something growing well and can buy larger plants from a nursery, you can plant them now.

Radishes are very easy to grow and the leaves are a good choice for a Russian, in moderation. They are usually a cool season crop but you could start some now; you'll still get leaves and flowers, if not actual radishes.

I am a big fan of nasturtiums for edible flowers and leaves. They are also easy to grow. They do like their roots to be on the cool/slightly damp side where I live. My tortoise loves this plant.

Plant one squash plant of any kind (but just one!) The leaves, stems, and occasional flower are good foods. You and your family will need to to eat the squash and remaining blossoms. The blossoms are edible for humans, I like mine stuffed with a little goat cheese and then pan fried. Or slice and toss them into an egg dish. At a community garden, you'll also likely find someone who would be HAPPY to gift you some leaves; squash grows like gangbusters.

You'll get some "free"' weeds out of this, whatever you decide to grow! You'll likely also meet some members who would be happy to share weeds and leaves that aren't pretty enough for humans to eat but are fine for a tortoise

Good luck!

Last edited:

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Me again!

I was probably too hasty in my first suggestions. Weeds really are best for Speedy but it's nice to have some choices. Here are a few more:

If you are going to plant lettuces, look for packages that contain chicory, endive, and/or frisée, as these are better for him than plain lettuce. You may find these in single seed packets or in salad mixes marked Italian, French, or Paris. These are all easy to grow in the cooler seasons. You can cut these as needed; they will grow new leaves.

Some turnip tops are also good. If your kids aren't used to turnips, try them mashed into potatoes as an introduction.

Another flower that is easy to grow and safe in moderation for the tortoise is alyssum. Humans can eat it, too, but probably only snipped into a salad.

Calendula is another edible flower that is a good food for tortoises. My tortoise will only eat the flowers but the entire thing is safe.

Whatever you plant, don't worry if your leaves are a little buggy or sunburned. Speedy won't care and a few bug holes are a good sign of pesticide free plants!

ethan508

Northern Utah
Zinnia and petunia are good beginners plants (from starts/seedlings). They transplant easy, grow well until the first fall frost, and are okay per the tortoise table folks. They will add some color to your gardens and seedling flats are starting to be sold on clearance at garden stores. I love zinnias as a cut flower for a table vase. You are a little late but could still plant zinnia from seed. Petunia seeds are best started in February in a greenhouse for your USDA Zone 5 climate.

If you have the ability to keep the plot perennially a grape vines trellis would be cool. You can eat the fruits and feed the leaves to your tort. I've had moderate success with grapes, they just take a bit to get established (sandier soils work better than the clay I've planted mine in). Also learn your weeds, dandelions and mallow are common in my garden and anyone that want to pick them for their tort is welcome to all they can pull.

ShockerFX

That's awesome the stuff grows like crazy but I wasn't sure about it the tortoise table doesn't have it on their site but I researched it some but still want sure thank you