Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I believe cross pollination happened and the one in the center is what i got from the other 2 colors.View attachment 214116If I remember correctly this is the most common color of rose of sharon, It would have been cool to get something a little more exotic.The tortoises will probably enjoy these as much as the others.
Very cool! I think my new Hibiscus moscheutos is a native Michigan genotype and has pale pink flowers. It's a nice change from the typical colors. It only has one more bud since I just planted it this spring, so I'll try to get a picture when it does open.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Very cool! I think my new Hibiscus moscheutos is a native Michigan genotype and has pale pink flowers. It's a nice change from the typical colors. It only has one more bud since I just planted it this spring, so I'll try to get a picture when it does open.
Muahaha! Lucky me to snag a photo of it! Hubby's hibiscus is in the background.

native_hibiscus.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I noticed this bloom this afternoon...20170802_171200.jpg
So much darker then all the rest, which look like this:
20170802_171243.jpg

Sure do love my volunteer plants, even though they usually come up in the worse locations

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I believe cross pollination happened and the one in the center is what i got from the other 2 colors.View attachment 214116If I remember correctly this is the most common color of rose of sharon, It would have been cool to get something a little more exotic.The tortoises will probably enjoy these as much as the others.

Does your's have the insides like this one?20170725_195516.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Does your's have the insides like this one?View attachment 214417
Woah, that's neat. Is that supposed to be the "double-layered" flower or something?

Speaking of hibiscus, with all our recent blooms, I've been trying to offer the flowers to Steve but he hasn't been very interested lately. I'm guessing he's just overwhelmed with all the other food in his enclosure. :confused:

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Woah, that's neat. Is that supposed to be the "double-layered" flower or something?

Speaking of hibiscus, with all our recent blooms, I've been trying to offer the flowers to Steve but he hasn't been very interested lately. I'm guessing he's just overwhelmed with all the other food in his enclosure. :confused:

Mine seen to either ignore them or think they are candy.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Same color but not with the extra stuff, But on July 4 I did snatch a small double bloomer the same color from a friends yard ad plan on gathering seeds later. Do all the blooms on that bush look like that one pictured ?
I think all do, but will check.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The hibiscus is the last plant to emerge in spring here, but once they break ground under the right conditions they catch up quick, mine are about 5 ft tall and I'm going to top them soon to make them bush out. If you look at where the leaf meets the stem you will see a new stem starting.When you top the plant it helps the new stem grow out and produce blooms.View attachment 211389Also a updated pic of some of the banana trees View attachment 211390
@Turtulas-Len : I realize it was traumatic for my little banana trees to be ripped off mama's breast and shipped across the country, and that your climate is much better for them , but really!! Mine are still babies, while yours are up to the eaves of the house! I'll get a picture up for you later-I'm on my Kindle now and it's not picture friendly

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I have 29 Rose of Sharon, you started something in my yard. All the tortoises love them. Here's part of the first bloomsView attachment 215057 View attachment 215059 View attachment 215060
Those are just lovely! No wonder the torts love them. ;)
Some of you may remember I had some seeds from my palm trees, well I planted some and they are starting to sprout.View attachment 215153 View attachment 215154I planted them in two spots and both are sprouting.
Baby palm trees!!! :eek::<3::<3: Awesome! I just adore palm trees, of course, since I'm in the Midwest...

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Baby palm trees!!! :eek::<3::<3: Awesome! I just adore palm trees, of course, since I'm in the Midwest...[/QUOTE]
There are palm trees that will grow in your area. Wikipedia has a list of hardy palms.