Galapagos versus Aldabra

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Does anyone have one of each? Or a picture of a mature animal, side by side, of each? I've seen them at zoos over the years, but of course I wasn't paying attention to details at the time.

How similar are they in appearance? The Aldabra has a nuchal scute. The Galapagos doesn't. That's about the only identifying characteristic I was able to find digging around on my own.

And no...I'm not getting one. One little Hermann's is enough for me! :D

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Their faces are quite different - galops have their nose and eyes in line, while the Aldabra nose is below the eye line.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Like Sarah mentioned in face detail, Galaps have a much broader head.....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The Aldabra has a nuchal scute. The Galapagos doesn't. That's about the only identifying characteristic I was able to find digging around on my own.

I made this mistake too. It is not always true. Several experienced members corrected me when I made this assertion and showed pics demonstrating that I was wrong. I'll bet @jaizei the search master can find the thread.

There are differences in their appearance the same way as there are differences in hermanns and greeks. Similar in some ways, but the differences are obvious to a trained eye. How many times do we all need to ask Hermanni Chris to ID Testudo species for us? Just by looking he can tell the subspecies of greek. I can't.

About the Galop vs. Aldabra: I always say Aldabras have a pointy nose.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I always think galaps of goop in the corners of their eyes as adults and I can't remember seeing it in aldabras. I imagine not always true, but usually.
I think aldabras are cuter (sorry Jeff and Tryone) and have a nicer looking face where gallops look more stern. Just what I notice between the two.

Last edited:

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
I always think galaps of goop in the corners of their eyes as adults and I can't remember seeing it in aldabras. I imagine not always true, but usually.
I think aldabras are cuter (sorry Jeff and Tryone) and have a nicer looking face where gallops look more stern. Just what I notice between the two.
:p

Last edited by a moderator:

Rue

Canada
Thanks everyone. That helps. Now I will look for eye and nose placement...when I next have the opportunity.

No one has a picture that has both of them in it (she asks hopefully)? :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks everyone. That helps. Now I will look for eye and nose placement...when I next have the opportunity.

No one has a picture that has both of them in it (she asks hopefully)? :)
Jeff (N2TORTS) until just recently I believe is the only one with a galaps on here and it's not an adult. No one that I know of has both. You could probably do a google search and find a side by side or close enough to look for the differences.

Reactions: Rue

Prairie Mom

This is a fun thread:) I really enjoyed the comments and the link to the older thread too.

Rue

Canada
I am patiently waiting for someone to buy an adult of each...and take those perfect side by side comparison photos...;)

:tort::tort:

At least now I know what to look for...I should be able to pass the test :D.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
The Face, Galops are ET, Aldabras are sea turtles.

Aldabras nose is pointy so they can draw water up from the smallest possible puddle, even a curled leaf. Galop have a block shaped head and a wide face.

Knowing this distinction is how I did not fall for the now famous yellowfoot challenge at the St. Louis Zoo.