Funniest species?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLGirl41

5 Year Member
I'm interested to hear which species you all consider to be the funniest or most comical. I think redfoots are funny in a sweet sort of way, but for me box turtles really take the cake with their crazy eyes, craning necks, and in-your-face curiosity. :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I only have a 2 tortoise species to compare.

My leopard is very calm and relaxed. He knows me well and is content in my hand as I carry him between bath and either enclosure. He pulls head and legs in if anyone else touches him. He is not funny at all. Just peaceful. But I enjoy that about him.

My Russians definitely have some personality. My 3 girls are still new and settling in but my male is something. He reminds me of the small dogs that think they are or act like big dogs lol. He thinks he is a sulcata. ;) He chases me around the enclosure when I trim overgrowth or pick up poop. He investigates anything I do in his pen. I have seen him climb logs to get to a flower atop a weed. He has knocked down plants to eat certain leaves. He is amusing to watch for sure.

Of all my turtles, the male Russian is funniest :)

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
I've heard that N. American Wood Turtles are really precocious... Never even met one but I have heard that.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I've never owned one personally but i'd have to say either the red foots or the Brown Mountains

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Lol Gary. Tortoise wise I would say baby Foratens or mountains. They are hilarious. Climb on top of everything and then freeze like "i wasnt doing anything" when they see you. Then again most baby torts in general are pretty active and clumsy like.

thea lester said:
I've heard that N. American Wood Turtles are really precocious... Never even met one but I have heard that.

This is true. They are very precarious. At least mine are.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
GBtortoises said:
Homo sapien sapien, in more ways than one.

Heehee. Some more than others. :D

I'd place Russians on the top of the funniest tort list, followed by the CDTs then sullies.

I have a Russian escape artist. The first week I put him outside, he completely disappeared from his pen. We spent hours searching for him with no luck. Then my husband went to take a trashbag full of yard clippings out to the trash bin and noticed a hole on the bottom of the bag. The Russian had torn through the bag and burrowed right in, nice and snug among the freshly cut greens. Crazy tortoise. :rolleyes:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Mata mata from their looks to how they sound when eating and even to the teamwork to catch the fish or how they move ever so slowly so the fish don't notice them.

FLGirl41

5 Year Member
Thank you all for your answers! I had never really considered the Burmese Mt tortoise as a pet so I will put them on my radar.

At the local reptile store this morning I bonded with a juvenile sulcata. He kept trying to climb out of his bin and get to me. I sat with him for a few minutes and rubbed his head, but kept reminding myself, "Noooooo sulcatas!"

rideburton87

5 Year Member
NW burbs, Illinois
My baby sulcata is pretty funny. When I go to spray his enclosure he litterly sprints to his hide box then peaks his head out to watch me n make sure I wont spray him. I had a Eastern Box Turtle that when you would walk into his outdoor enclose bare foot or with sandals on he would chase you're toes around and try to eat them like they were worms.. now that was pretty funny, he was definitely a goof

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
For most people, the "funniest" species will be one they own, or one they've had a lot of experience with.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I only have Cherry Head's and box turtles to compare, but I have lots of friends with different species of tortoises, and I have to say the box turtles are the most comical. I don't think I have ever gone into my turtle garden without having a laugh or two. They are so filled with curiosity and have such funny little faces. They are always digging for worms or if they see a little buggie thing they chase it.
Here's Izzy in her vivarium digging for a worm. I laughed so hard when I saw her little butt up in the air.

Pi was walking along the side of the garden, and I was watching him. I tried so hard not to make any noise, but he knew I was there and stretched his neck all the way out to see what I was doing or if I had a treat for him. They always make me laugh, no matter how low I feel.
vfcojl.jpg

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Definitely Russians!! They're so sweet and funny! I love watching her eat (she misses the first few bites)! They have huuuuuuge personalities in little shells!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Oh, that first one of Izzy is especially hilarious!

I'm with Heather; my male Russian is very funny. Always on the move, climbs and jumps off of everything. He did land up side down in a cement block, fortunately I found him right away and it is now filled with dirt.

Team Gomberg said:

My leopard is very calm and relaxed. He knows me well and is content in my hand as I carry him between bath and either enclosure. He pulls head and legs in if anyone else touches him. He is not funny at all. Just peaceful. But I enjoy that about him.

My Russians definitely have some personality. My 3 girls are still new and settling in but my male is something. He reminds me of the small dogs that think they are or act like big dogs lol. He thinks he is a sulcata. ;) He chases me around the enclosure when I trim overgrowth or pick up poop. He investigates anything I do in his pen. I have seen him climb logs to get to a flower atop a weed. He has knocked down plants to eat certain leaves. He is amusing to watch for sure.

BTW, do you have a thread about your new female Russian tortoises? When did this happen?

Cutva

5 Year Member
I have three Russian tortoises that seem to be on a mission to make me laugh!:D

Sent from my SCH-I510 using TortForum mobile app

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
There is nothing funnier then watching your redfoot scratching his butt on anything, or rubbing his shell and watching him dance....so the answer to your question is......Redfoots!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Funniest species?

lynnedit said:
Oh, that first one of Izzy is especially hilarious!

I'm with Heather; my male Russian is very funny. Always on the move, climbs and jumps off of everything. He did land up side down in a cement block, fortunately I found him right away and it is now filled with dirt.

Team Gomberg said:

BTW, do you have a thread about your new female Russian tortoises? When did this happen?

Wow Lynne, I just now saw this lol! You might know by now but just in case...

A month or 2 after getting my male I got the 3 girls from the same source. All 4 had been part of a large group that was being downsized. Lucky for me, I didn't have to quarantine them because of this ;)

They really are the best, too. I have had them for many months now and things are fantastic! They love their home :)

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Oh, Heather, I didn't know your newer 3 females were from the same group as your male! Its great that they have lived together in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.