Fully Grown Female Sulcata Tortoise for Sale in Arizona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward's Mom

5 Year Member
I live in Mesa, Arizona. I have a 12 year old female sulcata tortoise for sale. Her name is Edward and she is the friendliest tortoise you'll ever meet. I am selling her for $200.00 or best offer. She is mature and ready for breeding.

We've had Edward since she was a baby and could fit in the palm of your hand. She needs much more space than we can give her and a good home. She is wonderful around children and other pets. If you live in the Phoenix area and are interested in buying Edward, please send me an email. I'd like her to settle into her new home before the monsoon storms hit. Thank you!

I've attached a picture from a few years ago for your pleasure. Edward.jpg

Edward's Mom

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Fully Grown Female Sulcata Tortoise for Sale

Hi "Mom":

Welcome to the forum!! I must say, you've done a wonderful job of raising up a smooth and healthy-looking tortoise. I'm so sorry that you have to find a new home for Edward (Great name, by the way!!), but give you a lot of credit for realizing that you can't give Edward what she requires.

Your subject line states, "fully grown female sulcata..." however, at only 12 years of age, she's still got a lot of growing to do. At 12 my Dudley weighed 80lbs or so, and now, at 20 years of age, he's close to 110lbs. The growth slows way down, but Edward won't be fully grown until she hits around 30 years of age.

Good luck. I hope you find a wonderful home for her. She is worth it!!!

Edward's Mom

5 Year Member

Thank you for your kind comments. We love Edward very much. My children have grown up with her. She simply needs more than we can give her. I'm new to the forum, so I haven't figured out the technical stuff yet. Grateful you posted your comments about being fully grown. She sure seems fully grown to us though:)

Strong vibes all the way around for the best new home for Edward!

Edward's Mom

emysemys said:
Hi "Mom":

Welcome to the forum!! I must say, you've done a wonderful job of raising up a smooth and healthy-looking tortoise. I'm so sorry that you have to find a new home for Edward (Great name, by the way!!), but give you a lot of credit for realizing that you can't give Edward what she requires.

Your subject line states, "fully grown female sulcata..." however, at only 12 years of age, she's still got a lot of growing to do. At 12 my Dudley weighed 80lbs or so, and now, at 20 years of age, he's close to 110lbs. The growth slows way down, but Edward won't be fully grown until she hits around 30 years of age.

Good luck. I hope you find a wonderful home for her. She is worth it!!!

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona

Edward said:
I live in Mesa, Arizona. I have a 12 year old female sulcata tortoise for sale. Her name is Edward and she is the friendliest tortoise you'll ever meet. I am selling her for $200.00 or best offer. She is mature and ready for breeding.

We've had Edward since she was a baby and could fit in the palm of your hand. She needs much more space than we can give her and a good home. She is wonderful around children and other pets. If you live in the Phoenix area and are interested in buying Edward, please send me an email. I'd like her to settle into her new home before the monsoon storms hit. Thank you!

I've attached a picture from a few years ago for your pleasure.

Edward's Mom

she should go in a fraction of a heart beat. I've seen sulcatas at my pet store in tempe going for over a thou - not as mature as yours...

Edward's Mom

5 Year Member

Tempe isn't very far. Would you like to make an offer?

sharkstar said:
Edward said:

I've attached a picture from a few years ago for your pleasure.

Edward's Mom

she should go in a fraction of a heart beat. I've seen sulcatas at my pet store in tempe going for over a thou - not as mature as yours...

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA

Edward's mom are you positive that Edward is a she? :)

Edward's Mom

5 Year Member

According to the vet and a few other people she is. By all accounts, it's a pretty sure bet.

Candy said:
Edward's mom are you positive that Edward is a she? :)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA

Then I'm sure you won't have a problem finding her a home. There are a few on here that will be interested I'm sure. :) She looks like she has a very good personality. :)

Edward's Mom

5 Year Member

She knows and responds to her name. She stretches her neck out like a dog to be pet. She eats food right out of your hand. This is a great tortoise. Like I said, we simply don't have enough space for her. She needs a yard with lots of grass and a place to burrow and make her den.

Candy said:
Then I'm sure you won't have a problem finding her a home. There are a few on here that will be interested I'm sure. :) She looks like she has a very good personality. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I'd take her in a heartbeat, but I don't know when I'll be able to take a whole day off to drive to AZ and back. I've got family in Phoenix and I'm planning on going there in November. Can you hold her 'til then? She'd be a perfect addition to my herd.

Edward's Mom

5 Year Member

I'm really hoping to have someone take her much sooner than November. She usually goes underground for a few weeks by late October. She's very active right now, so it's a good time to get her.

Tom said:
I'd take her in a heartbeat, but I don't know when I'll be able to take a whole day off to drive to AZ and back. I've got family in Phoenix and I'm planning on going there in November. Can you hold her 'til then? She'd be a perfect addition to my herd.

shelber10

10 Year Member!
long island NY

If you could ship to Ny I might be able to take her

Edward's Mom

5 Year Member

I'm not willing to ship her anywhere, especially all the way across the country. Sorry.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California

MALE OR FEMALE??? YOU BE THE JUDGE!

2rhbjwj.jpg

2z4d0z4.jpg

2ia927r.jpg

24blngl.jpg

17pb9j.jpg

Everyone, please tell me what you think and please list the reasons why you think this.

good resource on sexing sulcata

http://www.chelonia.org/articles/sexingsulcata.htm
Thank you kindly!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal

plastron is concave and xiphiplastron is wide-spanning...MALE

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Sorry Edward's mom. That's a boy. Concave plastron in the first pic. Big gular scutes, big head, your description of the behavior sounds very male to me. Size for its age is very male too. Can't see the tail or the position of the cloacal opening.

Jeez, why'd you flip him on his back like that?! Ha ha, just kidding. Its totally fine for a minute.

How old was he when the vet told you he was a female? For the first 8 or 9 years, I was SURE that my Bert was Big Bertha. I was wrong.

On the bright side he looks great and has a beautiful smooth shell. Was your backyard heavily planted and irrigated when he was small? What was his set-up like when he was very little, when you first got him? If you raised him from a little baby, you did something very right and we'd all like to learn from your experience.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA

Very much a male :) Because of all things already pointed out and the tail is pretty big :p If you can't see where a tucked in tail ends, it's almost always a male.

Danny

Edward's Mom

5 Year Member

Well now, I'm thoroughly confused. Wouldn't males have male parts? I've seen males and they make little to no effort to hide their maleness. In 12 years (We got her when she was 6 weeks old in 1998), she has never shown a long tail or any attachments nearby.

A few years back we had a neighbor with 2 male sulcatas. They were about 10 years old and positively huge, much bigger than Edward is at 12. Their front gular shoots were much longer and bigger. Their concave plaston looked like a bowl and could have held water in it.

Edward was 7 at the time. I invited the oldest one, Bubba, over to mate with her. He was all over her until he finally mounted her. Within minutes, he tried to flip her on her back after he was done. She didn't get hurt, but we sent him home in a hurry. She never did lay a clutch. The vet told us she was too young. The neighbor moved away, and I never tried to mate her again.

I really do see what you all are saying, but Bubba was a monster, much more aggressive than Edward, and way bigger. He was without a doubt male. Edward doesn't look or act anything like he did. And those male tortoises didn't burrow. Edward has made a really nice little city underground, something I've heard females do for nesting.

I'm learning a lot through this forum, and regardless, Edward needs a bigger home with much more room to burrow and lots of grazing land. She (he?) is clearly worth a lot to the right new owner. My price remains $200 or best offer. I've seen many of them (male and female) being sold for over $1000. I will do my best to make sure Edward gets the best home possible, and I'd like it to be as soon as possible. It's not easy getting rid of a family pet, but I know it is best for Edward.

Really appreciate your interest in all of this.

Edward's Mom

Status
Not open for further replies.