from Lexington South Carolina

Meeks k

Location (City and/or State)
Lexington South Carolina US
I have had turtle and tortoise for 43 years, since I was 7. Right now I have a Russian (20 yrs old), a Leopard (6) and two Sulcatas (5 months old). I have always had indoor pens, but I am starting my first out door peen next week. I look foward to seeing all the different ideas members have on the forum

Alaskamike

South Florida
Hi
You have a nice variety.
I've also had torts & all kinds of animals off & on all my life. But when I finally got to a warm State got serious about tortoises. All mine live outdoors.

I also have 2 ( rescued ) Sulcata's. But I have to keep them separated. They fight if even in sight of each other. Even if they didn't fight , one will intimidate the other till it gets sick. Eventually I'll need to rehome one of them, cause I'll run outta room ( they're already 50 & 17lbs)

Sulcata ,,leopards too , don't do well together in pairs. The little buggers are so territorial - quite the loners really. But I love their personalities otherwise.

Once on the forum , interacting & reading care sheets , etc., I learned important care info to keep my charges healthy & thriving.

Good fortune to you

Maitaimommy

Glad you're here! I just joined and have enjoyed all the great posts. I'm learning so much:)

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Hello.
I grew up in Rock Hill. Not far from you.

First Baptist Church of Rock Hill was here in Alaska last week working on one of our volunteer projects, they come up every year. I've made some good friends from South Carolina since being in Alaska, funny how that happens.

Meeks k

Hi
You have a nice variety.
I've also had torts & all kinds of animals off & on all my life. But when I finally got to a warm State got serious about tortoises. All mine live outdoors.

I also have 2 ( rescued ) Sulcata's. But I have to keep them separated. They fight if even in sight of each other. Even if they didn't fight , one will intimidate the other till it gets sick. Eventually I'll need to rehome one of them, cause I'll run outta room ( they're already 50 & 17lbs)

Sulcata ,,leopards too , don't do well together in pairs. The little buggers are so territorial - quite the loners really. But I love their personalities otherwise.

Once on the forum , interacting & reading care sheets , etc., I learned important care info to keep my charges healthy & thriving.

Good fortune to you
Hi
You have a nice variety.

Good fortune to you

Meeks k

AlaskaMie, everyone says i'm crazy for keeping my russian and leopard together but they seem to really enjoy each other and when one wants its on time the other respects the space. i'm lucy so far, my baby sulcatas stay together at least for a while but only 16 wks old

Maitaimommy

You'll have to keep a watchful eye on the situation! I have a russian and I know you can't put two of them together. Best of luck to you:)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
A Russian tortoise even with another Russian is ill advised. Russians HATE other tortoises being near them.
And then there is the whole mixing of the species thing.......
I'd get them apart as quickly as possible.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
"Enjoying each others company" ?
Tortoises don't have friends and don't like company. They are solitary, territorial animals.
What you are seeing, if they are cuddling up, following each other, sharing food, sleeping near each other, etc. is competitive, combative and bullying behaviour, it doesn't have to consist of physical violence.
The tortoises will become stressed and quite possibly ill.
They will be much better off separated.

Meeks k

"Enjoying each others company" ?
Tortoises don't have friends and don't like company. They are solitary, territorial animals.
What you are seeing, if they are cuddling up, following each other, sharing food, sleeping near each other, etc. is competitive, combative and bullying behaviour, it doesn't have to consist of physical violence.
The tortoises will become stressed and quite possibly ill.
They will be much better off separated.
That's funny they have been together six years with no problems. The Russian was fourteen yrs old when I put the year old leopard in the pen. It was really an accident the door between pens was left open. My vet is also the vet for River Banks Zoo ,one of the biggest zoos in the south east and he does not have a problem with it. Sleeping each other, eating ect... Is not. A sign of aggression, or bulling . I don't know where you get your info. You are right torts do not make friends but the do and will follow other torts. They learn which ones knows the best food areas the best shady areas and follow. Oh and the zoo I mentioned has three species together in the same pen. Be careful what you read on the web if you really want to get to understand your torts get away from the computer and put time in on the phone to zoo, breeders and take vacation to see them not just read about them. Just my opinion and fourteen yrs experience. And in my forty years I have only lost on torts to heart defect. I have had over thirty ,. Most rescues that I help zoo and wildlife department rehab.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
That's funny they have been together six years with no problems. The Russian was fourteen yrs old when I put the year old leopard in the pen. It was really an accident the door between pens was left open. My vet is also the vet for River Banks Zoo ,one of the biggest zoos in the south east and he does not have a problem with it. Sleeping each other, eating ect... Is not. A sign of aggression, or bulling . I don't know where you get your info. You are right torts do not make friends but the do and will follow other torts. They learn which ones knows the best food areas the best shady areas and follow. Oh and the zoo I mentioned has three species together in the same pen. Be careful what you read on the web if you really want to get to understand your torts get away from the computer and put time in on the phone to zoo, breeders and take vacation to see them not just read about them. Just my opinion and fourteen yrs experience. And in my forty years I have only lost on torts to heart defect. I have had over thirty ,. Most rescues that I help zoo and wildlife department rehab.
This is where miss information comes from listening to people that think they know what's best with their mis information . I've been raising torts for more then 17 years ! I have leopards , Marginals , Russians , pancakes , Egyptians, Greeks , Hermanns , AZ desert torts , and Box turtles. Don't mix torts ! Don't keep them in pairs like dogs and cats . Torts need to be in trios or more to a group . And please keep helping the zoo they will get just what they pay for ( nothing ) !
And by the way I'm over 60 years old . And you can learn a lot here if you choose to . Have a great day !

Meeks k

This is where miss information comes from listening to people that think they know what's best with their mis information . I've been raising torts for more then 17 years ! I have leopards , Marginals , Russians , pancakes , Egyptians, Greeks , Hermanns , AZ desert torts , and Box turtles. Don't mix torts ! Don't keep them in pairs like dogs and cats . Torts need to be in trios or more to a group . And please keep helping the zoo they will get just what they pay for ( nothing ) !
And by the way I'm over 60 years old . And you can learn a lot here if you choose to . Have a great day !
There is a lotf good info here. The problem is most of the info on the web is from years ago before we knew as much as we do now. I know most people disagree with mixing and I get that and for sure not all torts mix but it can work. The most important thing is for people to take more time with any reptile because your right they are not dogs and cats and you have to be more attuned to them. I see so many people get tortoises to just throw them in an glass tank with lettuce and a light and think they are doing good. This web site does help A LOT with that for sure. But my thoughts are stop reading and start seeing