From Hawaii With Love; Long Distance Incubation

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:
People have been shipping fertile eggs for years with good results. No reason these should be any different. Usually, they're wrapped individually with bubble wrap. These should be fine.

Thats interesting, I 've never heard of tortoise eggs being shipped, could you site references and case studies on this? I would be interested in reading the who and how it turned out on this subject.

S

stells

Been talking to Paul about this... as i have been there... done that... and had the hatchling tortoises!!

It is very possible... as long as the eggs aren't warmed up... development doesn't start... and the eggs can be moved...

You guys... are WAY behind lol

John

5 Year Member
stells said:
Been talking to Paul about this... as i have been there... done that... and had the hatchling tortoises!!

It is very possible... as long as the eggs aren't warmed up... development doesn't start... and the eggs can be moved...

You guys... are WAY behind lol

Please provide details of your experience with this Kelly, since this would be something interesting to see people posting about yet nobody does.

S

stells

Obviously the distance wasn't so far... but the eggs (Horsfields) were posted to me using good old royal mail... each egg was wrapped in bubble wrap... placed in a container... placed in a padded envelope and sent... all the eggs developed as normal... and hatched... this was a couple of years ago now...

John

5 Year Member
stells said:
Obviously the distance wasn't so far... but the eggs (Horsfields) were posted to me using good old royal mail... each egg was wrapped in bubble wrap... placed in a container... placed in a padded envelope and sent... all the eggs developed as normal... and hatched... this was a couple of years ago now...

So obviously shipping eggs some 2600 miles over a several hour period would be a different story all together:D

S

stells

Nope not at all... i don't think the distance is an issue... as i said earlier... as long as the eggs weren't warmed... they will be fine... they could travel as far as you wanted them too... within a couple of days... worst case scenario is if they aren't packaged right and break...

I do suspect that these will hatch... a little while after the ones that stayed with Paul...

John

5 Year Member
stells said:
Nope not at all... i don't think the distance is an issue... as i said earlier... as long as the eggs weren't warmed... they will be fine... they could travel as far as you wanted them too... within a couple of days... worst case scenario is if they aren't packaged right and break...

I do suspect that these will hatch... a little while after the ones that stayed with Paul...

Lol, you win. thanks for the help on the weed i.d. by the way.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
kbaker said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
Interesting and creative!

Would you consider shipping an Aldabra egg? ;)

The challenge would be getting one that is fertile. We get alot of eggs every year, 140 to 180 on the average, only about 30% are fertile.

dmmj said:
kbaker said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

I second that!!

:):):):):)

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
ALDABRAMAN said:
kbaker said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

The challenge would be getting one that is fertile. We get alot of eggs every year, 140 to 180 on the average, only about 30% are fertile.

dmmj said:
kbaker said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

I second that!!

:):):):

In the name of science :D I'll take my chances...should I just PM you my address?!?!?

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Paul's been on me to post an update, so here goes. Sorry folks life has been keeping me busy.

All 5 eggs chalked, and now all show signs of life, ie, "the red circle of of life", veins etc..

Tried to get some pics, only a couple turned out.

CircLife2.jpg

CircLife1.jpg

So its looking like the experiment was a success. Of course I don't want to count my torts before they've hatched, but barring any major problems (like the incubator getting unplugged for 24 hours as has already happened once :/ ) I should be seeing 5 little leopards later this summer.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
This is very cool, can't wait to see results in a couple more months!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey, Brett:

I've been wondering where you've been. Good to see you're still around.

Nice pictures. My fingers are crossed for you.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
little update:

The eggs are developing nicely. I don't candle often, but when we did last night we could see a little tort moving around. The wife was absolutely giddy. Once again no pics turned out. I'm going to try again and see if the lil bugger will put on a show for the video camera.

still waiting on those pics of the dads Paul :)

Status
Not open for further replies.