French Marigold (tagetes patula)

Status
Not open for further replies.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I bought some of these and was thinking about putting them in the tortoise enclosure (well repotting them for a while before doing so). I just want to make sure they are safe before I do that. I couldn't find anything other than potted marigold on the safe list.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Sorry, I can't find it on my lists either. I bet Kelly or Yvonne will know the answer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Marigold has oily glands on the leaves and is very pungent-smelling. They use it as border plants to repel certain kinds of insects, and it is used in the making of perfumes. It has wide medicinal uses. I couldn't find anything about its toxicity.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Guess, I will just wait and keep looking around... Like I said I can only find pot marigold on the lists, but I didn't know if French marigold was any different.

Thanks

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Pot marigold is genus Calendula and French marigold is genus Tagetes. Two different related plants. Torts will eat them but in my case not high on RFs prefered menu.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Thanks. I realized two different species. I was just mentioning that the pot marigold was the only one I saw on the lists. Are the French marigolds safe in case they do eat them? Flowers, leaves, and stems? They're really more for my Russian outdoor pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.