Frankie Tortoise Tails: Yard Toy

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mobile, Alabama
Nothing is more pitiful than a bored sulcata. Nothing is more scary than Frankie looking for something to ram.

There are things I don't want Frankie to ram. I am top of that list. The young Frankie would occasionally bump into me. Bumping is a very close behavior and ramming is just a few pounds and a much bigger bruise away.

Frankie amuses himself by a lot of walking but he just gets it into his head to do something more. Last night, before tucking himself in for the night, he thought it would be fun to push his dogloo into a tree.

Dogloo wasn't doing anything at all, not calling attention to itself, and it certainly didn't cause Frankie to stub his toe or any such indignity. It just existed in Frankie yard and thus a potential for his special kind of suclata attention.

Last week, Annette, a local tortoise friend who owns a one-pound Frankie-wanna be beast, came to pick up some supplies for "Foots" and got to meet Frankie for the first time. I forget that possibly I should warn people that Frankie can get enthusiastic about visitors.

At this first meeting, Annette saw a very big, large, hundred pound boulder moving at a very crisp pace directly at her, heads up, and very animated.

Frankie saw a potential carrot giver.

Brave Annette did not want to back down because after all this is just a tortoise. What could a tortoise possibly do? Right? Bruise the shins? Break her legs? Knock her down and trample her like a shoe box?

I told Annette to stand her ground that Frankie was just happy to see her. She chose to move closer to me and let me handle the we-move-much-faster-than-anyone-expects beast.

He just wanted a carrot.

So, no, Frankie is not allowed to ram people and so far he has not hurt anyone...besides me. I remain an ever vigilant observer of Sulcata Behavior.

Give Frankie toys. Objects to ram. Dogloo will do. Buckets are perfect.

Bucket provides hours of amusement for Frankie. Even when the bucket gets the upper hand.

Lesson: Sulcata tortoises move faster than you think.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Sweet boy! I love his stories. I was just wondering last night if a Sulcata would "play" with a Jolly Ball. I think Frankie needs a Jolly Ball for Christmas! :D

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Nothing is more pitiful than a bored sulcata. Nothing is more scary than Frankie looking for something to ram.

There are things I don't want Frankie to ram. I am top of that list. The young Frankie would occasionally bump into me. Bumping is a very close behavior and ramming is just a few pounds and a much bigger bruise away.

Frankie amuses himself by a lot of walking but he just gets it into his head to do something more. Last night, before tucking himself in for the night, he thought it would be fun to push his dogloo into a tree.

Dogloo wasn't doing anything at all, not calling attention to itself, and it certainly didn't cause Frankie to stub his toe or any such indignity. It just existed in Frankie yard and thus a potential for his special kind of suclata attention.

Last week, Annette, a local tortoise friend who owns a one-pound Frankie-wanna be beast, came to pick up some supplies for "Foots" and got to meet Frankie for the first time. I forget that possibly I should warn people that Frankie can get enthusiastic about visitors.

At this first meeting, Annette saw a very big, large, hundred pound boulder moving at a very crisp pace directly at her, heads up, and very animated.

Frankie saw a potential carrot giver.

Brave Annette did not want to back down because after all this is just a tortoise. What could a tortoise possibly do? Right? Bruise the shins? Break her legs? Knock her down and trample her like a shoe box?

I told Annette to stand her ground that Frankie was just happy to see her. She chose to move closer to me and let me handle the we-move-much-faster-than-anyone-expects beast.

He just wanted a carrot.

So, no, Frankie is not allowed to ram people and so far he has not hurt anyone...besides me. I remain an ever vigilant observer of Sulcata Behavior.

Give Frankie toys. Objects to ram. Dogloo will do. Buckets are perfect.

Bucket provides hours of amusement for Frankie. Even when the bucket gets the upper hand.

Lesson: Sulcata tortoises move faster than you think.

Funny, beautiful, educational, inspirational and slightly scary as always.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Beautiful! GOD bless.

Wish I had a yard/garden for Oli to roam around in. I'm obliged to take him out for a walk as I live in a flat (UGH!)

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Mobile, Alabama
Sweet boy! I love his stories. I was just wondering last night if a Sulcata would "play" with a Jolly Ball. I think Frankie needs a Jolly Ball for Christmas! :D

I've offered several types of balls to Frankie to play with but none seemed to ever interest him mostly because one "hit" and they would fly so far away that Frankie would quickly loose interest. He likes his buckets and he never looses interest in ramming his Dogloo. Still looking for a large enough piece of plastic so he can have another slide.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That dude is such a turd . haha

Melissa101

5 Year Member
UK
Funny and brilliantly written, and I loved the vid!

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Ha! That's awsome!
I wonder if that would keep Bowser amused for a while...