Four dummies in one day

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Tuesday this past week when I got up and did the morning feeding routine. I cracked open the lid to the nighthouse for the three larger M.e.p.s. My face was greeted with very warm air. I looked at the temp and it was 110F in the night house. WTF? I looked at the controller and it was set for 110F???? I turned it down, but in my impatient excitement the panels did not respond quick enough, so I cut the power to the system. I did not have the option to call out from work, so with much worry I decided to let the house cool down with a gap in the lid and follow-up when I got home from work.

Tuesday evening the nighthouse had become the outside ambient of 62F, too cool for my idea of an okay temp. I turned the controller to 70F and set a cooking timer to remind me to look in a short while. The timer went off and I looked inside, the panels were not on and the temp was 70F. From my action to open the lid and exchange the air, the panels cycled on. It think I was just to impatient to see the controller work when I discovered the high heat of that morning.

The three adults did not go out of the nighthouse to escape the heat. That Monday/Tuesday night the low was in the 50'sF so no problem for them. Yet the stayed in the nighthouse. This represents the other end of temperature shock. They were too warm to respond.

I dribble water over the front of their shell so it would roll over their faces, none wanted to drink. They had not come out of their night house since.

Until this morning they have not eaten, the heat shock really sapped them of much. The controller is working as it should as are the heat panels. I have no idea what happened with the controller such that the heat was turned up??

This morning I found them getting back to normal shenanigans. Head poking out through the nighthouse door curtains. They began to eat romaine heads placed in front of them in the night house.

I do not know how long the temp in the nighthouse was so high. I feel reasonable sure it was okay when I did evening checks on them Monday night before. The four to five days recovery from heat shock has been nerve racking.

I recall from a presentation by Bob Applegate that he had a similar situation with his early (1970's) kingsnake set-up.
Right now my plan for the garage is to have fans evacuate air at a 'high' set point. I don't have a solution for an independent nighthouse. An alarm maybe?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Will. This is where I am really liking my SensorPush units I am using now just clicking on the app in my phone I can see the temp and history graph on my iPhone. It has alert setting you set at the high and low setiing you choose and it will give you an alarm on your phone if it reaches that

The sensor stores up to 20 days of temp and humidity reading - every 10 seconds - and auto downloads to you phone whenever you are in Bluetooth range Which for me means whenever I am home the sensors are all current as it read the night houses and garage enclosures from most anywhere in my house

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
They also don't interfere with each other if you have several like most wireless thermometers will start doing. I have 8 now I use for night boxes, incubators and enclosures. All linked to the one app on the phone and one home screen scrolls through all of them

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have plans for a new night box for my sulcatas. I plan to have two separate heating systems with separate thermostats. Neither system will be able to over heat the house. So if one gets messed up the other will shut down. and if one shuts down the other can ramp up to help. They would have to fail at the same time in the same way to cause a problem.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use a remote thermostat that has three remote units and then the base unit. I can walk into my bedroom and with a push of a button read all three remote units temps. I also use to heaters in my shed. Both on its own thermostat. If the one should fail, the temps will drop, but then the back up heater will kick in. The remote unit is about 30 bucks or so. I used it in my old shed at my old place and now at my new place. total about 5 years.
I like Markw84 idea better, but I'm not that technology smart. Maybe @Markw84 can can do a more detailed thread with pictures to help us/me understand :rolleyes:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is the dial anywhere close to where a tortoise might rub up against it and re-set the dial?