Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The Clovis SPCA called me last night to come and pick up a found tortoise. The tortoise was found by a contractor on a job site. They said he weighs about 70lbs, however, I was able to pick him up and put him in the wheel barrow, so I don't think he weighs quite that much (my scale chose today to be out of batteries). He left this little sample for me in the back of my truck:

10-8-10rescue-1.jpg

And this is absolutely disgusting!!! Why on earth would you allow your tortoise's beak to look like this? And how has the poor tortoise been able to eat?

10-8-10rescue-3.jpg

10-8-10rescue-4.jpg

10-8-10rescue-2.jpg

This shot is just so you can get an idea of his size. This is a full-sized wheel barrow:

10-8-10rescue-5.jpg

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Wow, much bigger than I expected. If someone does try to claim him, you probably need to educate them on proper care and beak trimming. Overall, he does look pretty good with minimal pyramiding. It is a good thing you are well known there and people call you or who knows where this poor guy would end up!! Thanks for helping him out! :)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
He's a big one Yvonne. :D Can't wait to see what he looks like without the beak. :p

M

Maggie Cummings

Nobody will try to claim him, it is obvious he's been dumped by somebody who doesn't want to 'care' for him anymore. His poop looks good but his urates look gritty so he's gonna need a long soak too. Got some work Yvonne...

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Wow his poop looks alot different to Shelbys, hers is more like the one in the second picture but alot smaller lol. Is that first pic normal for a Sullie, It looks like something my dog would do. The poor thing how can a beak get like that and them still eat i do not under stand how anyone can neglect a living creature in this way.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I already had him promised before I got him. Because of my Dudley, I can't keep mature males on the property too long. Dudley gets antsy and tries to break down the fences to get to the other tortoise. So I try to line up prospective owners before I get the tortoises in.

So my adoptor came by this afternoon and between the two of us we tried to fix the beak problem. Come to find out, it was the bottom beak that was protruding. We were able to clip it off, but after the first couple of clips the tortoise got wise and wouldn't keep his head out. So its a little rough, but much better than it was. The new owner is going to have the vet come out and sedate the tortoise and file it down smoother.

Because this was a "found" tortoise, I should have kept it for a couple weeks, giving the "lost" side of the equation time to claim him. And I usually put a "found" ad in the newspaper. But because of the shape the tortoise was in, I was feeling a little less inclined for the tortoise to go back to his owner. So I've got my fingers crossed that the original owner doesn't turn up. If they do, I will have to give the tortoise back. It was understood when he picked the tortoise up.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
well if someone does call you.. at least they can give you a good identifying thing about it.. then you can EDUCATE them and maybe talk them out of getting it back!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Wow, that beak is impressive, but in a bad way. Just have never saw anything like it before. :(

M

maguire5700

Wow Yvonne, good luck with that one! That's not an easy beak trim. How could anyone let their tortoise get that bad?

moswen

5 Year Member
A few months back tom had a thread out with a sully with his beak like that... So sad! How can a tort rescue make it "understood" to give a tort back to the owner who was neglecting him? Even tho he is big, he can't be getting all the food his belly would like. No one would give a bony dog back to someone who claimed to be the owner! Yvonne, you should not return the call and say you never got the message if the real owner calls... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.