Found Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

shane

5 Year Member
Hello, I have found a large Sulcada Tortoise and want to take the best care I can of it until I find it's owner.
I am looking for it's owner now and also searching for someone in my area to take care of it either temporarily or permanently. My backyard is secure, so it can't escape. I have water for it and it is feeding mostly on St. Augustine grass, monkey grass, ferns and weeds in my backyard (and I was feeding it lettuce until I read a few post on this excellent site!).
I made it a temporary burrow under my woodpile but it prefers to sleep in the flower beds. I have many trees in my back yard and only sparse spots of sunlight, which it has learned how to locate.
Night temperatures are around 70 degrees in my area and the days are 85 to 95 degrees.
I was obviously not prepared for this, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I have read many post on this site and realize how much work it would take make a good home for him (Otis), but I am just not prepared to do this, but I want to take good care of him in th e meantime. Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds like you have a good set up for him to stay until his permanent home is found. Can you post a picture and where are you located, city and state.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Based on the temps you provided, it's safe to presume you live on the east coast a bit to the north. The one thing I would say about your secured yard is that the night temps are way to cold for this tort. If you can provide some heat (heat pad or heat emitter) at night where he can be protected against rain and cold temps, that would help prevent the tort from getting a respitory infection. If you cannot locate the owner, please post here for rehoming. It's more likely that a member here would have more knowledge about sulcatas than anyone else. If you post pics of the tort, we can help id sex and possible age. I truly hope you find the owner!
shane said:
Hello, I have found a large Sulcada Tortoise and want to take the best care I can of it until I find it's owner.
I am looking for it's owner now and also searching for someone in my area to take care of it either temporarily or permanently. My backyard is secure, so it can't escape. I have water for it and it is feeding mostly on St. Augustine grass, monkey grass, ferns and weeds in my backyard (and I was feeding it lettuce until I read a few post on this excellent site!).
I made it a temporary burrow under my woodpile but it prefers to sleep in the flower beds. I have many trees in my back yard and only sparse spots of sunlight, which it has learned how to locate.
Night temperatures are around 70 degrees in my area and the days are 85 to 95 degrees.
I was obviously not prepared for this, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I have read many post on this site and realize how much work it would take make a good home for him (Otis), but I am just not prepared to do this, but I want to take good care of him in th e meantime. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Shane:

What are you doing to find this tortoise's owner?

J REED

5 Year Member
70° night temp is too cold for a large sulcata?

Jeremy

swatsx

5 Year Member
Where are you located I know where I'm at (south east mi) people will try n sell 3 year old sulcatas and if they can't they let them go there was 3 found in a 5 year span in the marina I used to work 1st the owner thought it could swim but it sank n died second two the police came to get intact that's the reason I fell in love with the big guys had I had room at the time I would have kept them I've even found what looks to be a tort shell while hunting in the winter so it could be let free not lost but I'd still try and find the owner

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
where are you at in Florida? because the temperature sounds like mine here;)

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
J REED said:
70° night temp is too cold for a large sulcata?

Jeremy

Not too cold for a large one or a small one.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I'm a horrible owner I never do anything for them when it's 70 degrees at night. I never had a problem though. when it's colder then I put a heater out. should I worry ?

actually I was just thinking 70 is pretty cold.. I guess I do use a heater at 70 then. its so hard to keep track, when it's always warm in Florida lol

lightsout2184

5 Year Member
sibi said:
Based on the temps you provided, it's safe to presume you live on the east coast a bit to the north. The one thing I would say about your secured yard is that the night temps are way to cold for this tort. If you can provide some heat (heat pad or heat emitter) at night where he can be protected against rain and cold temps, that would help prevent the tort from getting a respitory infection. If you cannot locate the owner, please post here for rehoming. It's more likely that a member here would have more knowledge about sulcatas than anyone else. If you post pics of the tort, we can help id sex and possible age. I truly hope you find the owner!
shane said:

70 is way to cold for a large Sulcata at night? Should be fine for a temporary situation.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yes, it is way too cold even for a large sulcata, much more for a small one. My sullies won't eat if the temps are even 79 degrees. If you want to risk having a sick sully on your hands, leave him out in 70 degrees at night where the wet morning dew can cause respitory infections, that's up to you. I wouldn't make my sullies suffer that. Although, in south Miami (or it Michigan?) I would think night temps in Miami are in the 80's now. But, if you live in Michigan, I would be very concerned about cool temps.

lightsout2184

5 Year Member
sibi said:
Yes, it is way too cold even for a large sulcata, much more for a small one. My sullies won't eat if the temps are even 79 degrees. If you want to risk having a sick sully on your hands, leave him out in 70 degrees at night where the wet morning dew can cause respitory infections, that's up to you. I wouldn't make my sullies suffer that. Although, in south Miami (or it Michigan?) I would think night temps in Miami are in the 80's now. But, if you live in Michigan, I would be very concerned about cool temps.

A simple house can fix the wet morning dew issue. Its over 79 during the day when they are eating. I understand its better to have your Sulcata thrive rather then just survive but I think most experts would not panic over 70 degree night temp. Where I live temps dip to as low as 60 right now at night and the Sulcatas eat all day long. Obviously will be providing heat as the temps get any lower.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
as long as they can heat up during the day... they will be fine....when its cold during the day as well... the heat at night is needed...for large ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.