Found leopard need help

Nosignal

I'm new here and posted how I had adopted a found leopard tortoise that I named Karoo. Well I found another one but this one isn't doing very well and I could use some help. I found this tort in about the same spot as the last one. Which makes me believe someone dumped them both and I have found them 5 months apart or there could be a large female that had escaped and laid her eggs in the wild and this two are from that clutch. They both seem to be about the same age but I don't have the experience to tell. I live in southern California and the nights are getting very cold and dry. The tort I found is very thin looking and weak. Eyes are still clear though and she had grass clippings hanging from her mouth when i found her and I had my wife pick her up from me at work and she soaked her in a warm bath which she drank from and pooped multiple times in also. We have put her in a separate cage with heat lamps with food and water but any other tips would be greatly appreciatedMessage_1451687900082.jpg

Nosignal

10-4. thanks Tom appreciate the help. I'll read over those and see what I can do

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Follow the caresheet Tom posted, it will give them the best chance. Good luck and keep us posted.

Nosignal

Thanks, I've read over it but the tort doesnt seem to be able to eat so wasnt sure how to feed the the non store bought produce like grass to a animal that is to weak to eat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks, I've read over it but the tort doesnt seem to be able to eat so wasnt sure how to feed the the non store bought produce like grass to a animal that is to weak to eat.

Do you have the temps up? Have you warm water soaked him? It may take a few days of warm temps and hydration to bring him back.

You could try a warm baby food soak. Get a jar of carrot or yam baby food and mix that into the soaking water. This should give the tortoise a little nutrient boost that often helps.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

If you saw poop, it's eating. And it's quite ok to feed it store bought dark, leafy greens. Just mix in a few edible weeds.

Nosignal

Thanks yall. Cage temp is 70 degrees with a humidity of 50-70 percent. Soaked him yesterday twice for 15 min each soak. I soaked him this morning also. Going to soak with the baby food tonight. Glad to know it may take a few days to see any sign of recovery. Just really want to do my best and give him a fighting chance.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Thanks yall. Cage temp is 70 degrees with a humidity of 50-70 percent. Soaked him yesterday twice for 15 min each soak. I soaked him this morning also. Going to soak with the baby food tonight. Glad to know it may take a few days to see any sign of recovery. Just really want to do my best and give him a fighting chance.

70F is quite cool for a leopard. I believe you want 80F for the low for young tortoises of this species.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Get the temperature to at least 80°. Don't let it get below 80. 70 is too cold for them to digest their food. And humidity with cooler temperatures will give them a respiratory infection.

Nosignal

Thanks for the advice and help but the tort decided to move on to warmer greener pastures. I rechecked the tank and it was at 82 degrees 45% humidty but i think it had been out in the cold for to long before i found it. I gave it a solid effort and thanks again for your time and advice.

Nosignal

It may sound weird but I still soaked him/her tonight just hoping I was being fooled and it never moved. I also tickled/pulled on a back foot with no response or movement. I tried and am very frustrated that I couldn't save him/her. I can hope that he/she was at least some what comfortable when they left and not cold and alone. I really truly wanted it to make it, it would have been so cool for Karoo to have a roaming buddy. And it would be (still kinda of is) a cool story to find and raise a pair of tortoises.

Nosignal

I have been more then lucky (should play the lotto) so far so it may just be Karoo for the time being, unless I find a more.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Tortoises are first and foremost solitary animals . They compete for food,shelter, mates,and territories. They spend their days walking eating and chasing out other tortoises from their territory.