Found a hurt eastern box turtle

Freckles24

Location (City and/or State)
TN
I think it looks good. I picked up a box turtle in the road, walking along a rediculously tall curb a couple weeks back. My intention was to move her over the curb, but when I flipped her over she had a bleeding crack in her plastron; must of been hit by a car just before I found her. I set her up on moist paper towels and a few days later her cracks looked just like your little ones does. Several days after that the whitish tissue spanned across the whole crack and appears to be hardening.

I'd love to see progress pictures! I can only imagine how she will be in a couple weeks:)

Jeralyn

For the turtles I've picked up, my vet would soak them in betadine (sp) first. The longest soak was three days. He then fiberglassed there shell back together. The worst was severe on both the top and bottom. I would not use anything that prevents it from drying out. Keeping a light in her tank will help or put her out where she can get some vitamin D. Just 15 minutes depending on how hot it is where you are. You can call Dr. Larry White on Briarforest in Houston Texas. Maybe he'll advise.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I'd love to see progress pictures! I can only imagine how she will be in a couple weeks:)
I am not a vet so take this for what it is: someone with an interest in turtles trying to help one out.

This is the day I found her. I rinsed the cracks, applied Neosporin and set her up on slightly moistened paper towels.
20170616.jpg

One week later. The tissue in the cracks look moist and soft.20170623.jpg

Three weeks after that the tissue is starting to look harder. It's not normally as shiny as it appears, I had just soaked her in some warm water and it is still a bit wet around the cracks because I didn't want to poke around the wounds too much with the towel.
20170719.jpg

Freckles24

TN
I am not a vet so take this for what it is: someone with an interest in turtles trying to help one out.

This is the day I found her. I rinsed the cracks, applied Neosporin and set her up on slightly moistened paper towels.
View attachment 213963

One week later. The tissue in the cracks look moist and soft.View attachment 213964

Three weeks after that the tissue is starting to look harder. It's not normally as shiny as it appears, I had just soaked her in some warm water and it is still a bit wet around the cracks because I didn't want to poke around the wounds too much with the towel.
View attachment 213965

That's amazing! How big is it? I feel like it healed pretty fast.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
That's a young adult female around six inches and weighing 390 grams. Yeah, I've been impressed with the progress and your baby should go even faster with the growth hormones added to the mix.

Freckles24

TN
That's a young adult female around six inches and weighing 390 grams. Yeah, I've been impressed with the progress and your baby should go even faster with the growth hormones added to the mix.

Haha yeah she weights about 22 grams [emoji13] she's little

Freckles24

TN
I am so sorry I went MIA anyway here's some pictures from the past few days.

7/29
2b81c100b5ed6f86f4ba34ac778f7900.jpg

7/31 I tried leaving Neosporin off for a day and it got all weird looking so that's why it looks like that.
f18c4cee85205c57907d0cc659a18ae5.jpg

8/2
534d99391a80080b932d41adfa94d026.jpg

And I will take some tonight and will post if I remember to :)

Freckles24

TN
Has your boxie laid eggs, is she indoors or Outdoors?

She's a hatchling weighting 22 grams and less than 2" long. So no eggs because she's not even a few months old. She is currently indoors (40B tank) as it's not recommended to put hatchlings outdoors until they are bigger.

Freckles24

TN
New updates!
8/3:
fc4210daa1445dfa710fb95eeb1003e9.jpg

8/4:
1565510ae1113862a78e38324ae9e2ca.jpg

She's starting to look better! Still a picky eater but hopefully that will change with time.

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Georgia
Where are you located? If you aren't planning on keeping her I can take her. I breed boxies