For pure entertainment.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Not something I like to see done, but sometimes it happens, and this guys was to cool to let go somewhere else. It will never be bred, only enjoyed and kept forever. This is a Glyptemys insculpta x actinemys marmorata. Weird!
fbcc7e477899527b258c06b727b4dcb0_zps154091e1.jpg

4c33743ad961e59e23ceec018e62ed8d_zps57fe81ab.jpg

71587f00a6c14f4536ac4dbe2954ec89_zpse4f7e727.jpg

8cf0c17fab07f2df3b936921d9596292_zps3159bee3.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
For those of us who don't know do you mind explaining why it is weird, thank you.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Thanks for posting this! I was watching that ad on fauna. To expensive for me, but glad to see someone picked him up! You had better post some updates on him often. Very interesting to see how he turns out....Especially since this is an intergeneric hybrid. Very rare.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Wow, I just noticed it's been almost a whole year since this was posted.

How is this turtle doing? Any interesting notes about its behavior? I'm interesting in how it has progressed. Which parent species' characteristic's does it lean towards?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Wow, I just noticed it's been almost a whole year since this was posted. How is this turtle doing? Any interesting notes about its behavior? I'm interesting in how it has progressed. Which parent species' characteristic's does it lean towards?
Yeah, how is the adorable little dude? :)

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Ok folks, here are some updated photos of this interesting turtle. The animal was hatched by my good friend and sent to me as a hatchling, then it went to Gerard and then he sent it back up to me. We do these kind of things often ;)

Mom is a pure North American wood turtle and dad is a pure Western Pond turtle. This happened by accident but it's of course neat to see how they turn out. The turtle definitely leans more towards a wood turtle appearance but you can of course see the Western Pond traits all over it.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Very pretty! Just out of curiosity, is it common for genetic defects/abnormalities to occur when two different species reproduce? I wouldn't think so myself, but then again I was never very good with the field of genetics. Would love to hear your feedback! :) Thanks!

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
He was bitten by a cage mate (a Blanding's turtle) and his toe swelled but has since gone back to normal. I'm really not sure of any genetic defects related to cross breeding but reports of animals being sterile have surfaced.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I'm really not sure of any genetic defects related to cross breeding but reports of animals being sterile have surfaced.
Very interesting; that seems to make sense. Thanks again for sharing!! :D