Florida Box Turtle: Picky Eater

Michael Naz

My female Florida Box Turtle, Penny, was a turtle we found on the street. I know I'm not supposed to, but I live on a 40-acre horse ranch and see tortoises a lot, so I figured I would let it free on my property. While coming home, however, we figured out that she was accustomed to human care and started rubbing her head against my arm.

She will only eat lettuce. We have to literally mush up the turtle chow and mix it in with the lettuce. She will not eat a pellet unless we mush it up.

How do I get her to eat the pellets?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
She's a wild turtle and doesn't recognize it as food. It's not needed anyway. She needs worms, insects, berries, mushrooms, vegetation, etc.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
First, mush up pellets and add to a healthy lettuce. Then decrease the amount of lettuce over time. Also, check the laws as you may (or not) be breaking them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Turtles don't need to eat pellets. Your box turtle needs fruits, vegetables and vegetation. You can also offer live food like crickets, super worms, garden worms, etc.

Where are you located? It may be against the law to pick up a turtle from the "wild."

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
My female Florida Box Turtle, Penny, was a turtle we found on the street. I know I'm not supposed to, but I live on a 40-acre horse ranch and see tortoises a lot, so I figured I would let it free on my property. While coming home, however, we figured out that she was accustomed to human care and started rubbing her head against my arm.

She will only eat lettuce. We have to literally mush up the turtle chow and mix it in with the lettuce. She will not eat a pellet unless we mush it up.

How do I get her to eat the pellets?
A very warm welcome to the forum!

Please post pics of your tort and her enclosure.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Welcome to the forum! Where is this little turtle living now?

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Turtles don't need to eat pellets. Your box turtle needs fruits, vegetables and vegetation. You can also offer live food like crickets, super worms, garden worms, etc.

Where are you located? It may be against the law to pick up a turtle from the "wild."

Sadly the Florida laws allow you to take two from the wild but regulate the sale of captive raised.

Michael Naz

Yes, but I was trying to let her free, but she was definetly accustomed to humans and came out right away (and no, she didn't pee).

Here is Penny:

photo (3).JPG

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 14

Michael Naz

First, mush up pellets and add to a healthy lettuce. Then decrease the amount of lettuce over time. Also, check the laws as you may (or not) be breaking them.

Yes, I tried this, but she simply won't eat a pellet or a plain mushed up pellet

Michael Naz

Where should I get "super worms"

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Banana and blueberries are also favorites. Most will readily attack earthworms or snails once they see them move.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Awesome Florida Box Turtle! I can tell u every box turtle I've encountered can't resist a boiled egg(shell and all), boiled or steamed sweet potato, butternut squash, or carrots. Any kind of berry is a little taste of heaven and sprinkle some cut up greens on top with a few things that move(worms, supers, Dubia's, rollies, calci-worms, slugs, snails, cicadas, etc. ........getcha some of that! If your feeding it iceberg lettuce stop and keep it for your salad or burger because it doesn't have much nutritional value for your box turtle. Some of my guys eat an occasional reptomin pellet when it's soaked on top of the food but if I give it to them by itself they don't dig it too much. Just my experience. Just remember, it's been removed from an area that its known, to now new surroundings. May take it a few days to adjust.

Michael Naz

Awesome Florida Box Turtle! I can tell u every box turtle I've encountered can't resist a boiled egg(shell and all), boiled or steamed sweet potato, butternut squash, or carrots. Any kind of berry is a little taste of heaven and sprinkle some cut up greens on top with a few things that move(worms, supers, Dubia's, rollies, calci-worms, slugs, snails, cicadas, etc. ........getcha some of that! If your feeding it iceberg lettuce stop and keep it for your salad or burger because it doesn't have much nutritional value for your box turtle. Some of my guys eat an occasional reptomin pellet when it's soaked on top of the food but if I give it to them by itself they don't dig it too much. Just my experience. Just remember, it's been removed from an area that its known, to now new surroundings. May take it a few days to adjust.
Just put a boiled egg in her food bowl. Ill see if she eats it tomorrow.

Gonna buy supers tomorrow. Ill see what she does.

Michael Naz

Apparently, Penny's a vegan. She didnt touch the egg

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Eric is right, give her time. Most of the time when someone brings me a turtle they won't eat at first, but once they get used to the new surroundings they will chow down. Keep offering earth worms and berries. That's usually the first things they begin to eat.