Flooring

Marcus Harrison

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Hello everyone,

I have a Russian tortoise and recently I have been putting a few photos of my tort and her enclosure on and people have been recommending me using a different flooring. This is perfect timing as I am beginning to run out anyway and I need to buy more so I might as well buy something she will actually like.

So, what are you guys using or what do you recommend me using? I have heard a lot of people suggesting different things so I think it would be easier to just round it all up onto one post.

What are the sort of features I need to be looking for? I currently have a very dry flooring of little 'shreddings' of wood, called "Aspen Shavings". It says " Ideal substrate for most species of reptiles and tortoise" on the front of the pack.

One more thing, please could you give me an idea of where I can purchase the flooring?

Thanks a lot! :D

IMG_0216.JPG IMG_0215 (1).JPG

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
I use a mixture of top soil and coco coir, probably close to 50/50. I like the texture, there's no real reason to use a combination other than if you prefer the way it feels which I do (and my tortoise seems to too). It's great for humidity too, around 55-70 during the day and 80 plus at night with a couple of light mistings a day, and dumping water in once a week. The top soil is from B&Q and the coco coir is this stuff here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...6_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VERY4Y140C8YVC2EZED8

Marcus Harrison

Manchester, UK
I use a mixture of top soil and coco coir, probably close to 50/50. I like the texture, there's no real reason to use a combination other than if you prefer the way it feels which I do (and my tortoise seems to too). It's great for humidity too, around 55-70 during the day and 80 plus at night with a couple of light mistings a day, and dumping water in once a week. The top soil is from B&Q and the coco coir is this stuff here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...6_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VERY4Y140C8YVC2EZED8
Okay thanks. I hear everyone talking about using coco coir. What actually is it exactly?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Okay thanks. I hear everyone talking about using coco coir. What actually is it exactly?
It's coconut husk. It's the same stuff they make door mats out of, 100% natural, but has zero goodness in it, so no good for growing plants in. Gardeners use it but add addatives too it for seedlings. Ideal if you want a moist substrate. When it gets too dry it becomes very messy. I use it for my redfoots, not sure if it's any good for a basking species because it will dry under the basking area and may get in the torts eyes.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
It's coconut husk. It's the same stuff they make door mats out of, 100% natural, but has zero goodness in it, so no good for growing plants in. Gardeners use it but add addatives too it for seedlings. Ideal if you want a moist substrate. When it gets too dry it becomes very messy. I use it for my redfoots, not sure if it's any good for a basking species because it will dry under the basking area and may get in the torts eyes.
Should have added, I think thats why some add topsoil to stop it getting dusty when dry.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hmmm, any other ideas? What I've got isn't the best but it's better than it getting stuck in her eyes?
I'm not sure what's best for Russians. There's nothing wrong with coir as long as it's moist. Have you Toms care sheet at the head of the Russian section?

Marcus Harrison

Manchester, UK
I'm not sure what's best for Russians. There's nothing wrong with coir as long as it's moist. Have you Toms care sheet at the head of the Russian section?
Think I've seen it but lost it by now. I will visit the local pet shop at weekend and see what they have. If they have something I think is decent I will ask and buy it. I will be careful though. If not, I will buy the coco coir. I thought it had to be dry haha, good to know :D

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Think I've seen it but lost it by now. I will visit the local pet shop at weekend and see what they have. If they have something I think is decent I will ask and buy it. I will be careful though. If not, I will buy the coco coir. I thought it had to be dry haha, good to know :D
This is from Tom's care sheet. Personally I would go with good old garden soil for this species having read this.

'Plain soil with no guano, perlite or other additives, orchid bark, cypress mulch and coco coir all work'.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You will save money by going to your local garden centre rather than the pet store.

Coco coir will be easily available there. It comes in compressed "bricks" that you soak in water to return to a compost like texture.

You can also buy sacks of clean topsoil there. Whatever you choose make sure it has no chemical fertiliser or other additives like perlite or calcium buts that your tort might be tempted to eat. (There's even bags of tortoise substrate in pet stores with added calcium bits - sheer madness :( )

Marcus Harrison

Manchester, UK
Okay, good idea. My two biggest issues are, whatever I get will end up all over the floor because it falls off her feet when I get her out, So it can't be too bad. Second thing is, I want to avoid it being too smelly (Obviously) as it's in the house so as long as it's something that fits them categories I'll get it sorted!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Any of the substrates suggested are fine. It's no worse than having pot plants for smell.

If the substrate is damp, as it should be, you can pack it down pretty firmly - very little should stick to your tort. Even if it does, just have a dry cloth in your hand to brush it off when you pick your tort up.

Marcus Harrison

Manchester, UK
Any of the substrates suggested are fine. It's no worse than having pot plants for smell.

If the substrate is damp, as it should be, you can pack it down pretty firmly - very little should stick to your tort. Even if it does, just have a dry cloth in your hand to brush it off when you pick your tort up.
Thank you. I was talking about the bark to my mum and we were considering that but we thought if it was damp it would smell a bit. I suppose it wouldn't be too bad but not to sure. I'll think about it and get it all sorted his weekend.

Due to the fact her tank is on the small side, we are creating a little house with a flat roof where she could sit with a ramp that has little grooves for her claws so she doesn't slide down. She could climb up and sit up there if she likes. We would have to make a little fence/wall to stop her falling off though, I just think it's a bit different for her and gives her chance to get some exercise whilst being in the tank, afterall it's he best place for her. What are your thoughts on that?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The problem with ramps is having sides high enough to stop your tort taking short cuts off the edge. They can be right little dare-devils and think nothing of a face-plant while their owners are having heart attacks at the thought of their tort landing upside down and being unable to right itself.

A proper sized single storey enclosure is better in my opinion. The substrate doesn't have to be flat. It can undulate to provide safe hill-climbing. Plants and rocks can be used to break up sight lines and make the enclosure more interesting.

Substrate should be slightly damp, not wet. It should be fine, really :)

Marcus Harrison

Manchester, UK
I don't mean as a replacement for a bigger tank, it's just that I can't really get one at the moment and I thought that in the meantime it might be a decent idea. I know! They are right dare devils, especially these Russians.

I would have to think about all of that. One side of the ramp would be against the wall and the other would have to have a wall. I'd be using MDF so she couldn't really break a wall I don't think? I'll have to toy with the idea, I just feel a bit bad that her tank is tiny for her.