• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
I could always upload to youtube and link it, or try and change the video quality to higher pixels, while lowering the dimensions and post it here

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
i hope, i am going to start my hatchling off in a 30 gal aquarium, everyone says not to use them, but i think it will be fine for a week or two until i get him a cement tub, and then eventually when he is an adult, i will get him the large vision tub for his home :D

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Ethan D said:
i like the look of ibera greeks and red foots, but i am nervous of greeks due to the fact that they hibernate.

They don't have to be hibernated...just keep 'em warm and keep feeding them...I've kept tortoises for a bit over 38 years, and have never hibernated any. It's absolutely optional.

As for size, Iberians get to about 6" (M) to 10" (F), with eastern Hermann's slightly larger, and Russians slightly smaller. Marginateds get up to 14" (F), 11" (M), but most are somewhat smaller.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Terry Allan Hall said:
Ethan D said:
i like the look of ibera greeks and red foots, but i am nervous of greeks due to the fact that they hibernate.

They don't have to be hibernated...just keep 'em warm and keep feeding them...I've kept tortoises for a bit over 38 years, and have never hibernated any. It's absolutely optional.

As for size, Iberians get to about 6" (M) to 10" (F), with eastern Hermann's slightly larger, and Russians slightly smaller. Marginateds get up to 14" (F), 11" (M), but most are somewhat smaller.

Thanks for the info!, i am pretty solid between redfoots and iberas, don't know which one yet though :D

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Btw, good luck and well im surprised at how many replies youve gotten haha you set the record in my opinion for a newcomer, i only a got around 12 replies when i was new haha but everyones in on this post :p but yea good luck once a again and i hope all goes well, i cant wait to see your unboxing and your tort

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
NinjaTortoises said:
Btw, good luck and well im surprised at how many replies youve gotten haha you set the record in my opinion for a newcomer, i only a got around 12 replies when i was new haha but everyones in on this post :p but yea good luck once a again and i hope all goes well, i cant wait to see your unboxing and your tort

lol thanks :D, and neither can I, only thing is, i know that once i get one, i'll want more lol

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Ethan D said:
NinjaTortoises said:

lol thanks :D, and neither can I, only thing is, i know that once i get one, i'll want more lol

Thats how i ended up with a 4th one lol but im glad because its was a great choice

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
NinjaTortoises said:
Ethan D said:
NinjaTortoises said:

Thats how i ended up with a 4th one lol but im glad because its was a great choice

Nice lol, thing is, i already live in a zoo, lol, and when i get a little cute baby tortoise my idiot brain will ay to me, tortoises are like potato chips, you can't have just one, and it's downhill from there lol, it already happened to me with my beardies :D

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Ethan D said:
NinjaTortoises said:
Ethan D said:
NinjaTortoises said:

Nice lol, thing is, i already live in a zoo, lol, and when i get a little cute baby tortoise my idiot brain will ay to me, tortoises are like potato chips, you can't have just one, and it's downhill from there lol, it already happened to me with my beardies :D

Well its not always a bad thing, but most imortantly, you have to be ready for their care, i feel like i rescued 4 tortoises, because they couldve gone to a worse home where they would probably end up dead the first year because of improper care

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Good point, i am going to choose the tortoise best suited for my climate indoors and out, Cherry Heads i would have to sustain some humidity, but thats not too bad, Ibera's are pretty much nothing to change except maybe increase temps, and as far as i know from leopards, the same as Iberas, but all the torts as babies from what i have read from tom have to have high humidity and 80-90 temps for a good smooth shell :D

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Trust me, smooth shell and its health is what you should focus on 100% whichever tortoise you get, just make sure you read its care sheet on here and you wont fail

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
NinjaTortoises said:
Trust me, smooth shell and its health is what you should focus on 100% whichever tortoise you get, just make sure you read its care sheet on here and you wont fail

Cool, like i said i am leaning more towards cherry heads, but leopards aren't out of the question and neither are greeks, but what is pulling me away from leopards is from what i have read on here, they are very timid (Babcocki family), and they pyramid very easily, which would make me feel like i am a horrible caretaker.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
NinjaTortoises said:
Hah yea if its going to be hard go with the second best :D i would

thats wat i am going to do :D just have to convince the people i live with that torts don't smell lol.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Ethan D said:
thats wat i am going to do :D just have to convince the people i live with that torts don't smell lol.

Lol show them the thread hah

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
NinjaTortoises said:
Ethan D said:

Lol show them the thread hah

Probably will, but my ma is a little, how do i say....... strong-willed lol. I have a while to convince her, but she really wants me to get a tegu or sav, but i would prefer a tortoise, they live longer, and are awesome animals lol :D,

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
if you get a red foot you should plant a lot of mini trees that stand a couple feet tall but all the branches are higher so the red foot could walk under the tree. but then plant a lot of them, along with other tropical plants if you can. and then use dirt or something for substrate, then if you can again, put a lot of dead leaves all over the ground in the enclosure. since nebraska gets hot, it would be warm, but humid under the trees and the leaves would keep moisture :) also just use a sprinkler or something when you need to :D

Status
Not open for further replies.