• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mary t

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland, florida
Ethan D said:
yup, lol i held my first tortoise today, and it was a red foot, and he wasn't really shy, even though most are, but he was a strong little guy lol

I'm very impressed with all the advice you are asking for before you decide on a tort.. Whatever you get with most defiantly be well taken care of but do keep in mind a sulcatta is not as easy as some have advised. I live in florida and adopted mine 7 months ago.. He is 18 pounds now and lives in an outdoor enclosure my husband built.. Total about $800. I still have to bring him in when the weather gets below 40 because I'm afraid his heater will freeze up and during bad weather storms.. I'm imagining what I will go though in a few years when I can't move him anymore. As well as who will car for him because I'm sure he will out live me.. I vote something that can be kept indoors until you are old enough to be settle in a home of your own , but either way I am impressed and your parents should be proud of you for doing your research. Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up with...

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
mary t said:
Ethan D said:
yup, lol i held my first tortoise today, and it was a red foot, and he wasn't really shy, even though most are, but he was a strong little guy lol

I'm very impressed with all the advice you are asking for before you decide on a tort.. Whatever you get with most defiantly be well taken care of but do keep in mind a sulcatta is not as easy as some have advised. I live in florida and adopted mine 7 months ago.. He is 18 pounds now and lives in an outdoor enclosure my husband built.. Total about $800. I still have to bring him in when the weather gets below 40 because I'm afraid his heater will freeze up and during bad weather storms.. I'm imagining what I will go though in a few years when I can't move him anymore. As well as who will car for him because I'm sure he will out live me.. I vote something that can be kept indoors until you are old enough to be settle in a home of your own , but either way I am impressed and your parents should be proud of you for doing your research. Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up with...

thank you, lol i will decide between the 4, but i did happen to come across some pics of the ibera greeks, and they look amazing, and if i do decide to get a larger tortoise it could be a sulcata, but probably a leopard, so as to not have a huge outdoor enclosure, but who knows, you also have the same fears i do about the storms and temps, but i will have a few years to prepare if i get one, chances are i will get a leopard or cherry head red foot, but only a red foot if i can keep humidity up :D

I have been looking into it, and what about jordanian, or golden jordanian greeks in my climate, although they would be indoors, or maybe even marginated tortoises? Anyone know about these guys personalities/ size?

I have been looking into it, and what about jordanian, or golden jordanian greeks in my climate, although they would be indoors, or maybe even marginated tortoises? Anyone know about these guys personalities/ size?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I would look into an eastern hermanns, russian, ibera greek, or marginated. Since you are in Nebraska where temps can get extreme you will want something you can bring in over the winter. All four species stay pretty small. It will take many years for them to get to their adult size. I'll label them from biggest to smallest marginated, ibera, hermanns, and then russian. They will all be right around 10 inches full grown with the russian being a couple inches smaller than 10in. and the ibera and marginated being a couple inches bigger than 10in. I would not a suggest a golden greek yet. They just arent as hardy as any of the others previously stated. The four listed are the ultimate beginners tortoise when you factor in weather as a factor over the winter. A sulcata or leopard would be fine but your winters are too harsh and you would have to drop some serious dough to make them something to work through the winter. Or bring them inside and confine them to a small enclosure. Good luck on what you decide!!!

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
i like the look of ibera greeks and red foots, but i am nervous of greeks due to the fact that they hibernate.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Ethan D said:
i like the look of ibera greeks and red foots, but i am nervous of greeks due to the fact that they hibernate.

You dont have to hibernate them. Hibernation is a pretty heated topic for some on here. Its not like when a certain time of the year hits is when they decide to hibernate. Its all about the temps. If you bring your tortoise in during the winter he will not hibernate. I dont hibernate most of my testudo.

Scoffy20

5 Year Member
New York, NY
Ethan D said:
I am new to this forum, and hopefully, soon to be new at tortoise keeping. I would like some opinions on what to get. I know of the greeks and russians, but i would like something a little bigger, and with a bigger personality. I don't live in a high humidity environment, and i do have winters. i would like to keep the tortoise inside, and take it outside on hot summer days. I have narrowed it down to a Leopard Tortoise, a Sulcatta Tortoise ( i know they get huge, but i have time to build an outside enclosure, also suitable for winter), a Cherry Head red foot tortoise, and finally, if all else fails, i wouldn't mind a Golden Greek :D. Please, any advice would be appreciated.

I'm am recently new to owning a tortoise. i opted for the Russian because of there size and durability. i originally want a red root but for the size of my apartment it just would be fair to keep a red foot seeing as they grow to be about 12-16". My Russian tortoise Rex is awesome though and im thoroughly glad i chose him. Do you research and think of all the possible outcome and then make your choice. I'm sure it will be the right one for you.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Ethan D said:

You dont have to hibernate them. Hibernation is a pretty heated topic for some on here. Its not like when a certain time of the year hits is when they decide to hibernate. Its all about the temps. If you bring your tortoise in during the winter he will not hibernate. I dont hibernate most of my testudo.

oh ok, phew, had me worried lol, i still like the look of red foots, and since its the only one i have personally interacted with, i have to say that for being a shy species, they are very personable.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I'm also very impressed on how much research you are doing.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Scoffy20 said:
Ethan D said:
I am new to this forum, and hopefully, soon to be new at tortoise keeping. I would like some opinions on what to get. I know of the greeks and russians, but i would like something a little bigger, and with a bigger personality. I don't live in a high humidity environment, and i do have winters. i would like to keep the tortoise inside, and take it outside on hot summer days. I have narrowed it down to a Leopard Tortoise, a Sulcatta Tortoise ( i know they get huge, but i have time to build an outside enclosure, also suitable for winter), a Cherry Head red foot tortoise, and finally, if all else fails, i wouldn't mind a Golden Greek :D. Please, any advice would be appreciated.

I'm am recently new to owning a tortoise. i opted for the Russian because of there size and durability. i originally want a red root but for the size of my apartment it just would be fair to keep a red foot seeing as they grow to be about 12-16". My Russian tortoise Rex is awesome though and im thoroughly glad i chose him. Do you research and think of all the possible outcome and then make your choice. I'm sure it will be the right one for you.

Nice! i would get a russian, but i hear they are very nervous, but can be rewarding pets :D. Enjoy him lol he will be with you for quite some time :D

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Russians are typically one of the most fearless tortoises out there. Redfoots for the most part are not shy at all. Those are two species that I would actually put very high on a personality list.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Russians are typically one of the most fearless tortoises out there. Redfoots for the most part are not shy at all. Those are two species that I would actually put very high on a personality list.

yup lol, like i said i held one and interacted with one today and he was awesome, so, pretty much i have to make a choice between a (Cherry Head) Red Foot, and an Ibera Greek :D

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Ethan D said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

yup lol, like i said i held one and interacted with one today and he was awesome, so, pretty much i have to make a choice between a (Cherry Head) Red Foot, and an Ibera Greek :D

Both great pets!!! You really cant go wrong with either one. But in my opinion the iberas are more of a first tortoise. I saw earlier you were thinking about getting one from tortoise supply and that is a great choice. He takes care of his torotises and his customers. But there are many other breeders with Iberas and cherrys here on the forum. Take your time on your decision because your tortoise will be with you for your lifetime if taken care of properly.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Well, the indoor inclosure for either one would be 6.5 ft X 3.7 ft X 2 ft, and i could make a bigger one if needed, but that would be the " bigger cage, and do you know any Cherry Head or Ibera breeders on here? i would like to talk to them :D

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Thats a huge indoor enclosure. I wouldnt go that big until it is an adult/subadult. You want to be able to really keep control of your temps for a baby tortoise and the bigger the cage the harder it is. I really dont want to leave anyone out but I know N2Torts has some cherrys available. GBtortoises might have some baby iberas right now but I dont know. Other than that I cant think of anyone at the top of my head with those types of babies available right now.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Cool man thanks, i'll write that down, and when i am ready to buy, look them up, or lok for a breeder in either of the forums sections

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Thank you, and when i get him i'll be sure to post pics, maybe a vid of me unboxing him, but i won't be able to do enclosure pics unless u want bad quality phone pics lol

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Please do so. Everyone on this forum wants more pics of torts.

Cool, i'll probably do the enclosure and him in it, but i will have to buffer the pic so it isn't as bad as i know it will be lol, and if i do an unboxing video, i wonder how to post that here?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I have no idea how to do videos. I tried to use tiny pic but it stretches the video out too much and makes it crappy quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.