First timer introduction

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I think a coffee table will be too small for the size he looks in the pics. I smaller room would be better.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Justin and welcome.
There are some great ideas in the Enclosures section you could adapt to suit your circumstances but the bigger space the better for torts. The minimum size usually quoted is 4' x 8' as torts need space to wander for digestion and muscle strength etc,. Some people spread their floor space over 2 levels if you don't have room. My tort has an adapted room.
There is also a good caresheet for Sulcatas in the Species Specific section with good up to date information and although you may not be a new tort owner the Beginners Mistakes thread (link below)will help you avoid any potential problems.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Justin, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm sorry to shoot down your idea, but there isn't a coffee table in the world that's big enough for that sulcata...in fact I'm willing to bet his outside enclosure isn't big enough next summer either.

Most of us with who have sulcatas that have been moved outside provide a heated shelter outside for their sulcatas. My sulcata has a heated shed and you can read about it here:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/dudleys-rebuild.111350/

He goes outside every morning, even on the coldest morning. I used to have a picture of his tracks going through the frost on the dead grass. He's smart enough to go back inside the shed when he gets cold.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hello and welcome to the forum. My Sulcata also has a heated outdoor shed. He will go out in the snow for a walk and then return to his shed. That size, he needs plenty of room. I converted a bedroom into a tortoise room for my leopards that come in for the winter.
1218151819.jpg 0823151343a.jpg 0917161602.jpg

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome to the forum. It better late than never finding this forum, especially since you may find that some of the things you've been doing for your sully may have to be adjusted. Your 5 year old salcata should be a bit bigger than what you've shown here. As was stated before, a coffee table isn't gonna cut it for this species. Bigger is better. Even though you live in a desert climate, I hope you know that salcatas need water and humidity. What is his diet like? And, do you provide heat during the winter months?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Hi and welcome to the forum. It better late than never finding this forum, especially since you may find that some of the things you've been doing for your sully may have to be adjusted. Your 5 year old salcata should be a bit bigger than what you've shown here. As was stated before, a coffee table isn't gonna cut it for this species. Bigger is better. Even though you live in a desert climate, I hope you know that salcatas need water and humidity. What is his diet like? And, do you provide heat during the winter months?

Desert climate?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Desert climate?
MY bad...I was answering someone else's thread and confused the locations. Nonetheless, no matter where the OP lives, the conditions still require warmth and humidity especially during winter months for salcatas.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
MY bad...I was answering someone else's thread and confused the locations. Nonetheless, no matter where the OP lives, the conditions still require warmth and humidity especially during winter months for salcatas.

Yep mine is doing great here in Oklahoma