First time tortoise owner in much need of advice. Juvenile sulcata

lanie

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County
Hello! My name is Melanie and I have a juvenile sulcata named Geoffrey, he's approximately 4-5 months old. I just got him a day ago as a gift. I've looked up care sheets and think I'm setting up pretty well but I want to make sure this little guy gets all the love and healthy environment he deserves. My biggest concern right now is that he seems a bit stressed which makes sense seeing that he just moved in. My question is how can I make him feel comfortable and trust me? I hope to hear from anyone soon! & thank you ahead of time :)

Also I'll be posting photos of his set up for feedback and recommendations.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Your right to think that if he seems stressed it probably the move. Get all his temps, humidity, food, water, etc all correct and then let me be for a day or two except for giving fresh food and water and his daily soak. They, specially younger ones seem to adjust fairly quickly.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Fun to read about what seem to be different personalities. Mine came home in a deli cup, was in a temporary critter keeper for a day before going in her tank. The whole time she was looking around, exploring and seemed to take all in stride. I know the breeder takes a lot of time on his hatchlings, that may be the difference. She has never looked stressed or afraid of anything.

I bet yours comes around quick and begins exploring her new digs.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
A big welcome to you Lanie. Read all the sully caresheets, soaking, heat, humidity, a nice hide for new guy to snuggle in to and feel safe, an enclosure with a lid. My one suggestion is to get your enclosure set up properly from the start, tweak a bit, but don't costantly mess with things. Our young sully would sleep all night, come out of his hide, eat, crawl back in. We soaked him every day for 20-30 mins for two years. I resisted temptations to constantly get him out.

Now, welcome and get reading!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome Melanie , once you make sure he has the proper temps and humidity I would supply him with food and water and leave him alone to check out his "new digs" ! ;)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum!

Do not panic/worry: torts take very long to adapt to a new enclosure, environment, climate, owner and the rest. Your tort will adapt, but it may take some time, in which case patience is needed.

lanie

Orange County
Thank you all so much! You were right he has adapted to his new home very well and is a happy eater always munching on the wheatgrass I grow for him. He is only ok if I soak him in the mornings before he eats, if it's in the evening he gets fussy and tries to climb out of his bath. Is this normal behavior? Also lately he has been recreationally climbing his log I just put up a post on it. I'm trying to figure out how to stop him from doing this and flipping over. Any suggestions?

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I tried no soil wheatgrass... Nadine would starve to death if we relied on what I ended up with from my first attempt.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi. How's your tort doing today? Hope to hear that he's well.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Thank you all so much! You were right he has adapted to his new home very well and is a happy eater always munching on the wheatgrass I grow for him. He is only ok if I soak him in the mornings before he eats, if it's in the evening he gets fussy and tries to climb out of his bath. Is this normal behavior? Also lately he has been recreationally climbing his log I just put up a post on it. I'm trying to figure out how to stop him from doing this and flipping over. Any suggestions?
When Speedy starts fussing while soaking , it means his water is too cold and he wants out ! try warming the water up , if you can hold you hand in it , it is not to hot ! At least that is what has worked well for me ! :)

Hot Tub 3.jpg