First time mommy of a leopard tortoise, need some guidance and advice

Moonymoon

Location (City and/or State)
Nottingham
Hi. I've got a leopard tortoise four days ago and I need some guidance and advise . I did a lot of research before bring him home but of course I still have some doubts regarding his care. I'm almost certain that it's a male . The lady at the reptile centre thinks that too. And said that he's between 6/8 months old. Measures 6cm and weights 46g. So for me he's pretty small
I made the enclosure myself from an old coffee table . For the substrate I'm using a mix of soaked coconut coir and a Tortoise Life Substrate ( a mix of top soil and sand) I have a Mercury light that I leave it on during the day and evening and a black ceramic light on at night. I check the temperature every few hours even during the night
I manage to get a temperature around 30/35°C (80/95°F) in the basking area during day and his temperature is around 22/28°C (72/78°F) depending were he is .
My main concern is during the night time when I turn the Mercury light off and turn the ceramic on. During that time he's sleeping in the bedding area and his temperature is around 17/21°C (62/70°C) . He sleeps a lot and I'm not sure if it's a normal behaviour for a baby tortoise. Only after I give him a 30m soak , he gets more active , poops and then gets energise , after that I'm able to give him a mix of greens ( lettuce, watercress,wild rocket and coriander sprinkled with calcium )I also gave him some strawberry today. Then he moves around and sleeps again .
I also spray the enclosure avery two days to keep it moist , I change his water dish every day. I have some water cress pots around the enclosure so he can nibble on it and help with the moisture levels. I'll attached some photos of the enclosure and my baby boy . So any advise that you could give me , so I can make sure that I have a healthy happy tortoise I appreciate . Thank you so much

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Your night time temperatures are too low, and you need to figure out a way to cover that whole habitat to keep the warm, moist air inside and the cooler air from the house out. Leopards hatch during the monsoon season. This means they live in warm, moist soil with plenty of greenery to eat. I keep my babies' habitat around 80-85F degrees day and night. Directly under the light is about 100F degrees. Build some sort of framework out of wood or PVC so you can drape a plastic sheet over the habitat. I think you'll see a drastic improvement.

Moonymoon

Nottingham
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Your night time temperatures are too low, and you need to figure out a way to cover that whole habitat to keep the warm, moist air inside and the cooler air from the house out. Leopards hatch during the monsoon season. This means they live in warm, moist soil with plenty of greenery to eat. I keep my babies' habitat around 80-85F degrees day and night. Directly under the light is about 100F degrees. Build some sort of framework out of wood or PVC so you can drape a plastic sheet over the habitat. I think you'll see a drastic improvement.

I'll try that. Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

1. You cannot tell the sex until they get larger and closer to maturity.
2. You baby is undersize for its age. Most of the care info out in the world for this species is wrong, and most breeders start them all wrong. Many babies don't survive. Others grow very slowly or not at all.
3. Please read these for proper care info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
I typed this for sulcatas, but just skip the text and go to the food list. Regular leopards don't need this much grass:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. You received great info and links already. I also keep my babies over 80F and at 80% humidity.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Welcome!

Make sure and read the care sheets. I also wouldn't suggest strawberries at that size, maybe when it gets bigger as an occasional treat.

Moonymoon

Nottingham
Welcome!

Make sure and read the care sheets. I also wouldn't suggest strawberries at that size, maybe when it gets bigger as an occasional treat.

Thank you.
The staff at the reptile centre said I could give him strawberry once a week .I have to think about his diet.

Moonymoon

Nottingham
Hello and welcome.

1. You cannot tell the sex until they get larger and closer to maturity.
2. You baby is undersize for its age. Most of the care info out in the world for this species is wrong, and most breeders start them all wrong. Many babies don't survive. Others grow very slowly or not at all.
3. Please read these for proper care info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
I typed this for sulcatas, but just skip the text and go to the food list. Regular leopards don't need this much grass:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Very useful information
Thank you so much

Moonymoon

Nottingham
Thanks for all the answers! It helped a lot

Follow up

So I manage to cover up part of the enclosure . I use a travel emergency blanket an some plastic and staple both on two wooden frames . Place it on top of each side of the enclosure leaving just the middle open with the light and the heat bolds . I use the emergency blanket from my camping gear since it reflects light, retains heat and provides insulation and I haven't used it in years so doesn't go to waste.
I manage to keep a stable night temperature of small micro-climes of 26/32°C (80/89°F) . The bedding area was warm and humid and the far end of the enclosure was colder but never bellow 22°C(70°F). During the day I remove the top end and with the Mercury light I manage to keep the temperature levels between 30/35°C (86/95°F) in the basking area and the colder side and hideouts between 25/28(77/82°F).

I definitely notice an improvement on my tortoise behaviour as well . He's more active , awake and curious. When a woke up this morning he was already outside his bedding area , normally I have to wake him up.
He use his water dish for the firs time without me to guide him there , and eats much more. I sprayed the enclosure twice a day and him as well to keep him sharp , he's finally exploring but still sleeps a lot

In addition I add another water dish, and instead of one soak a day I'm giving him two. One during the day and another later evening . I'll keep monitoring to see more improvement.

I still need to control humidity levels and change his diet since most the info available it's not entirely right .

Thanks

Photos update attached

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    356.7 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    344.7 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    319.3 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    398.6 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    620.1 KB · Views: 7

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. All excellent information already provided. You will want to have your CHE on all the time AND controlled via a thermostat with a sensor at tort level. All of this information is clearly described in the info sheets already provided by Tom. Good luck.