First Sulcuta

Left_Coast_Sully

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Hi All,
I am a first time tortoise owner and would love to hear everyone's thoughts on our new addition, husbandry and tips. i have only had her for 3 days now. I am a little unsure of the sex, though the previous owner believed she was a she. Male or Female? She has a bit of pyramiding and though not much we can do to eliminate it, I am hoping we can minimize it over time. seems to be very healthy.

feeding every morning, a few muzuri pellets mixed with greens. has grass available to graze all day, and baby carrot treat every once in awhile.

the enclosure is temporary, as we build a much larger permanent one. Organic soil substrate, organic grass seed planted. I mist the enclosure in the mornings, right before it gets hot, seems to enjoy it. Organic wheat grass is what you see in the pic. we lock up the house at night, after it settles in.

Hope to hear from you and thank you for the support in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2758.JPG
    IMG_2758.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2765.JPG
    IMG_2765.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2744.JPG
    IMG_2744.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2750.JPG
    IMG_2750.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2755.JPG
    IMG_2755.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2756.JPG
    IMG_2756.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 29

Alaskamike

South Florida
Hello
Left coast ? Haha. Are you out in California?

I got one about like that , he smoothed out in a couple years - went from 2 & 1/2 lbs to 17 lbs.

They do make fun additions to the family. One thing that mine liked , still does , is being able to climb completely into his water dish. I went to Home Depot & got a tray made to put under a water heater , then recessed it into the ground so he could crawl right into it.

On hot days he just sits in there.

I do have to rinse it out daily.

Good fortune to you all

Left_Coast_Sully

San Diego
Hello
Left coast ? Haha. Are you out in California?

I got one about like that , he smoothed out in a couple years - went from 2 & 1/2 lbs to 17 lbs.

They do make fun additions to the family. One thing that mine liked , still does , is being able to climb completely into his water dish. I went to Home Depot & got a tray made to put under a water heater , then recessed it into the ground so he could crawl right into it.

On hot days he just sits in there.

I do have to rinse it out daily.

Good fortune to you all
Yes sir, San Diego.

Thanks for the tip! one of those trays will definitely go into the new enclosure. Any thoughts on Male or Female?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Too young to know the sex yet, but looking female at this point.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Welcome to the forum from another left coaster!

She is a she. That's a female. A bit young and not mature but a female!