First Russian!

Yellowfang15

Hello! This is my first post on the forums so I hope I don't mess up!:D

For around 3 months now I have been thinking about getting a Russian Tort! My plan backfired a little when I got a Green Tree Frog for my birthday, 150$ later he is now happily living in a expensive tank with a Brown Anole. I did not want to neglect these wonderful animals, so I spent the cash at PetSmart (A mistake that I now see) and made a great tank for them. My love for the Russian stayed though. So, I am trying to make a ultimate list of everything I will need to be prepared! Also, a little help on where to get the little guy would be much appreciated too(Looking for male, going to try rescues, then pet shops).

My mother is very lets say....caring about the way her house looks, so I need some ideas on how to spruce up a cheap container. This is not a whip it up in a week project. This is a long term project extending until April of 2015 maximum. Even though my research was long, it was mostly about care and the Tortoise itself. So, with that in mind, here is a picture of where I want him to reside (expect for the hours that I will play with him outside)

IMG_2174.JPG
I plan to get a fresh piece of wood on there, possible paint it, definitely sand it and find new homes for everything that resides there except the Delta sander; well no, I shouldn't even say that yet. I need a container that I can look into, clean without stains, CHEAP, and be Tortoise approved! I would like to know the best kind of substrate to use. To be honest, other then getting him, I think shopping for fake plants will be my favorite thing to do. I want to make his home a beauty that my Mother will be proud to show off.:<3:

I plan on using terra-cotta dishes for food and water since they can be painted easily (Non-Toxic!) and keep food and water cool. My aunt is a potter so I might get some freebies! I want my tank to be prepared weeks before my Tort even arrives!

Another subject I need some help with is food. I know that they like greens, but what kind! What should I even give him! My head is spinning from all the food suggestions I have seen.:confused:

Some other info is that I have an English Bulldog (Henry) that will be scared of the tortoise. No issues there. I have a rabbit named Thumper (nicknamed Thumper the Humper from having 28 babies before being sprayed:p) But he is soon to be leaving us for another family:( We just aren't living up to his needs with being with people a lot; and its the right thing to do.(I never liked him;)) I also have the Green Tree Frog (Ivy) and the Brown/Bahaman Anole (Vause).

I live in Medford NJ, the summers and springs are idle for torts because the temps haven't gone over 100° since 2010. We have a HUGE front yard with no trees so plenty of sunshine! I would like to know about what plants (other then dandelions) he can munch on!

For an outside pen I though I could use the rabbits old pen for outside (chicken coop wire, big circle) But it is a little worn so I will need some new ideas for one.

In all I just need help with getting my stuff together for the arrival. I would also like to take a low cost route, my parents will let my do a lot, with my own money:tort::)

Try to make this a great thread so that others can use it in the future! Remember, this is a long term project.;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Check out the enclosure section of the forum for enclosure ideas. Wood and plexi glass comes too mind the most.

Check out this site for safe edible items http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/tortoise_home_1.asp

Dirt would be the best substrate, they like to burrow, so deep if possible, like at least 6-8 inches. They climb good to, so be sure there are high enough sides.

Check out the Russian section for care instructions, member Tom has a good care sheet for young ones.

I would either rescue one, check out CL, there usually are lots on them on there, before a pet store.

Hope this helps some, others will be on to offer more.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Go to russiantortoise.org & read everything. Then read it all again. And look at photos.

RTs do not do well with fake plants. That's a gentle way of saying: don't even think about it. They also don't have a concept of play, so reconceptualize that outdoor time. They are grateful for food, but we are not their buddies.

Don't paint food dishes. Unglazed plant saucers are good for water. Food can be laid on a slate or tile. RTs will scratch paint off, food safe or no.

It's good you're doing advance planning.

Yellowfang15

Go to russiantortoise.org & read everything. Then read it all again. And look at photos.

RTs do not do well with fake plants. That's a gentle way of saying: don't even think about it. They also don't have a concept of play, so reconceptualize that outdoor time. They are grateful for food, but we are not their buddies.

Don't paint food dishes. Unglazed plant saucers are good for water. Food can be laid on a slate or tile. RTs will scratch paint off, food safe or no.

It's good you're doing advance planning.

Thanks! I think unglazed will be fine. I can get a nice looking square piece of marble for food so that my mom is happy! And with 6-9 inches of soil I think I can get some safe plants in their with him :)

Thank both of you! @johnsonnboswell @wellington

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I think it's overpriced and small, but some people like them. Why don't you use the idea to build your own? It can extend beyond the surface of your table.

Yellowfang15

I have looked in the enclosures section, trust me, but I can't seem to find any basic plans. I might use a cement mix dish though.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Get some graph paper and make your own plans to scale. Wood is very forgiving to work with. There are ways to hide imperfections.

Plexiglas can be drilled to accept screws.

My building approach has been to identify the must-haves, the dimensions that are fixed, and which areas could be changed, and by how much.

Then I go to the building supply and figure out how to use what's available there most cost efficiently without wasting materials. They will do large subcuts there, but not fiddly bits.

Figure out how it has to work. Flexible plexiglass requires bracing & framing, adding strength while allowing the use of less expensive material. Thinner wood requires a block at the corners for more glue surface and to accept nails. Something has to hold up the light.

Go from the big idea - a large waterproof box with a window, high enough to prevent escape, allowing you access to manage the habitat) to the particular. Figure it out one step at a time. You'll find that if you design it you'll understand it, and it will be easier to build than you think.

Yellowfang15

Well, after looking around, I found a mixing tub, but I don't know if these specs would be ok for a Russian Tort:

Product Depth (in.) 27.5
Product Height (in.) 6 Product Weight (lb.) 2.42 lb
Product Width (in.) 20

Assembled Depth (in.) 27.6 in Assembled Height (in.) 6.5 in
Assembled Width (in.) 20 in Capacity (gallons) 10

Color Family: Black

@johnsonnboswell

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, Yellowfang, and welcome to the Forum!

Russian tortoises require a lot of space. Those pre-made tortoise houses are just too small for anything but a brand new baby tortoise. I'm so glad that you are planning and researching prior to actually getting the tortoise.

One thing to think about - buy two of the largest plastic tubs you can find, cut out opposing ends and put them together to make one long habitat. Your work bench might be a bit narrow to support this.

Have you seen this thread:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...our-cold-wisconsin-winters.96402/#post-909780

Keep looking. I'm sure you will eventually find something that works for you.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
They climb well, so the height needs to be above the total stretched out length of the animal standing on 6" of substrate +

Yellowfang15

Well! I do have some updates! The workbench is definitely getting a new wooden plank!
I will most likely be putting up walls around the workbench (14 Inch) thanks to the wonderful post @Yvonne G posted
This will create a wonderful environment with plenty of space and 6-7 inches of soil to burrow in!

Be sure to tell me if I'm wrong!

Cleaned Workbench:
IMG_2176.JPG