FIRST POST! Russian Tortoise in Need of Larger Enclosure BUT...

Hi All!

Long time lurker and owner of a single Female Russian tortoise, Millie. Approx. 4 years old. She was given to me by a family member who no longer had the means to care for her.

She has irregular shell growth due to prior malnutrition, but is making vast improvements under my care. She has always been in an indoor enclosure as she was too young upon first purchase and since I live in an apartment she is limited to the indoors and frequent supervised visits outside.

Millie is not my first reptilian pet nor my first Russian tortoise. I know the ins and outs of proper care, but I ran into a problem most indoor RT owners face. SHE'S GETTING SO BIG. She has outgrown two enclosures, and she's slowed in her eating and activity levels in her current housing. She looks bored and cramped.

While I aspire to eventually make her an outdoor enclosure, I have no access to a yard and my Boyfriend and I will be moving in the future and I'm not positive I can score a rental with access to a yard.

So, here's my idea. As building another custom cage would mean making a huge piece of furniture(which I would rather not move up and down flights of stairs), I was thinking of something more portable.

Could I acquire a large wire, open-top pen, like they have for dogs or rabbits? One that can fold up flat. Then place it on the floor and line the inside, bottom and sides with a big ol' tarp? The high sides could allow for deep enough soil for digging and it'd be waterproofed enough to keep my safety deposit as well! The wire build would make it easy to attach lights as well. Then when we move, I remove the tort. and deco. and gather up the corners of the tarp, trapping the soil for easy removal. Then just fold up the pen and put it back in the box.

Please let me know your thoughts on this idea. I think it could work and be cost friendly. Seeing as I dropped hundreds on tortoise real estate already! lol.

Only pic of Millie's current enclosure. This is before I introduced her it. It's two-levels and there's a bar UV light attached to the underside of the top. Humidity and heat levels are fine. Just too small.

https://instagram.com/p/BPOXxTnhJvT3z9T6aFaBQFFPFBASKuIdLb_jYA0/

And this is Millie on a vist to my Dad's property. She's on weed patrol. Surveyors tape as a locator.IMG_0006.JPGIMG_0005.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Sounds like it might work, but Russian tortoises are diggers and he may scratch holes in the tarp while digging. Your landlord might be a bit upset if he wrecks the floor with pee leaks through that hole.

You might also think about getting two of the largest plastic tubs you can find, cut out opposing ends and stick them together with masking tape to make one long one. This might also leak, but would be easier to make water proof than a hole in a tarp.

Good for you! I really appreciate that you're trying to make your tortoise's life better.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It will still be too small. Your Russian needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure. The largest dog crate is not big enough. But you can try building 2 or 3 levels on the enclosure she has now. Building ramps with sides on them to get to each level.

It will still be too small. Your Russian needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure. The largest dog crate is not big enough. But you can try building 2 or 3 levels on the enclosure she has now. Building ramps with sides on them to get to each level.
I'm wasn't thinking a dog crate exactly. They are large, collapsible, metal wire, fenced-in pens. No bottom or top. The type I'm thinking of come even larger than 4x8ft. Like a play-pen? If that clears up any confusion.

Sounds like it might work, but Russian tortoises are diggers and he may scratch holes in the tarp while digging. Your landlord might be a bit upset if he wrecks the floor with pee leaks through that hole.

You might also think about getting two of the largest plastic tubs you can find, cut out opposing ends and stick them together with masking tape to make one long one. This might also leak, but would be easier to make water proof than a hole in a tarp.

Good for you! I really appreciate that you're trying to make your tortoise's life better.
Thanks for the genuine reply! Plastic tubs are my last resort. I loathe cleaning those tubs. I've been looking at some very heavy duty tarps. Like one would cover a car kept outside with. I was thinking of layering the tarp first, then thin layer of smooth stone, a mesh screen(to decrease soil and debris falling in between the stones), then the substrate on top. I feel that would inhibit any potential holes caused by her tortoise talons.

Rachael403

NE, USA
A heavy duty liner for ponds may be a good idea. I don't have torts, so I dont know if this will work for your kiddo, but it might be stronger... Especially if you could build a "box" under it to put a couple of layers on it. You could also put some under the box just in case to protect the floor from possible accidents. I'm not an expert, so experts, please shoot down my idea at any point. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm wasn't thinking a dog crate exactly. They are large, collapsible, metal wire, fenced-in pens. No bottom or top. The type I'm thinking of come even larger than 4x8ft. Like a play-pen? If that clears up any confusion.
Okay, the ex pens, yes, that could work and be big enough.

Souptugo

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497476375.362714.jpg

I just bought this. It's coming in the mail. I will post a thread in the next little bit when I upgrade little Charlie's enclosure. Will be making it 4x8 or 4x12 with a flat plywood underbottom and pond liner.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Like Yvonne said, my experience with any kind of tarp or plastic liner is that it will eventually leak. Plus, I don't like my tortoise pens on the floor, except for my outdoor enclosures.

Its pretty easy to put some 16" walls on a 4x8 sheet of plywood and call it a tortoise table. Easy to carry and hang lights too.

I like it! A more aesthetic option! I'm going to try a less expensive play-pen with a water proof liner. But its a good option for someone who wants something functional and good looking! I'll post again to update whether I had succeeded or failed. Thanks for the helpful info!

Souptugo

5 Year Member
That is in Canadian dollars :D It's much cheaper than that is you are doing USD.