Finding home for stanley

Alex Z

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
Alex - my wife was pregnant with our 3rd daughter when I decided to bring home a puppy! Epic man brain fart! After a month with a nesting wife and stress of a 2 toddlers running around and a new puppy, my wife couldn't take it. So we gave away the puppy (Zoey) to an old man we knew who lost his wife to cancer. 2 weeks go by and yep my wife is missing the dog, wants me to see how she is doing, can I call the gentlemen? So I call him and he says I was just about to call you can you bring over one of your kids? So, I take my oldest kid and find out the only time Zoey was excited was when she seen children on the tv. When Zoey seen my daughter she lit up. The old man said she knows where her home is and we brought home that night. It's been 9 years and Zoey is my wife's dog to this day. It was rough in the beginning but worked out for the best. Moral of the story, maybe your turtles in the best care with you! It's not uncommon for box turtles to eat alittle less and hide more this time of year! As long as there is no signs of sickness, I would just monitor your feeding times. I had to adjust a feeding time for one of mine because she loved to be more active and eat in the wee mornings of the day! So, whatever you decide, I would highly encourage to find a home with a well known member....or just continue to learn and give it a good home:) Good Luck!

My lady cried...thanks!!

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
My lady cried...thanks!!

Oh no! I hope it was a good cry! I didn't mean for the story to make things tougher for you, but just to showcase how some things are just meant to be. No matter what, I do know that your in good hands for help or rehoming on this site...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Are you sure he's a male? In the Spring I'll be looking to re home a male myself. I'm in Staten Island and not far from you. I would take him in the Spring if it was a female.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Yes he is a male...red eyes is the giveaway correct?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yes he is a male...red eyes is the giveaway correct?
Usually, yes. But an occassional female will have them. If you could show us a photo of the vent area we could confirm.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
I saw something coming out from his tail..

Clawem

If you need someone to take him in let me know I live in Orange County NY and keep mine in a nice garden keeps down the bugs.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I hope you have a permit for Stanley, otherwise keeping, and probably shipping him out will be illegal. I am not necessarily an authority on New York laws, but I am pretty sure.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
In a new enclosure with different temps and lighting??? maybe he thinks he's supposed to be hibernating.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
If you need someone to take him in let me know I live in Orange County NY and keep mine in a nice garden keeps down the bugs.

You will have to come get him....or we meet half way..I been trying and still he is not eating...outdoors is what he needs...

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
You will have to come get him....or we meet half way..I been trying and still he is not eating...outdoors is what he needs...

Hello Alex, try this before you make any decisions...prepare a boiled egg(leave the shell on but cut in quarters), steam a sweet potato or butternut squash, cut up a strawberry, and chop up some collard greens or any other rich vitamin a green. Mix and place proportions in dish and place the dish in the enclosure early in the morning. Place a few wiggly larvae or worms on top of the food. Then take a spray bottle with bottled or filtered water and mist the whole enclosure thoroughly. Make sure to also mist the food. See if this may help, so long the temps in the enclosure are between 70-85 degrees. Humidity and temps play a major role in the box turtle world. Hope this may help with your decision.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
My lady did that this morning...we going to step out and see if some of it is gone...I am also going to build him a new enclosure but enclosed to help control tempa better...I am sure you can provide him a better home but I dont want to give up so easily...We got a lot of love for Stanley...hes so cool looking...

Steve in CT

Connecticut
I believe Eastern box turtles are protected in NY and the law does not differentiate between wild-caught and captive-bred animals or animals possessed prior to enactment of the law. I would think shipping one out of state could be serious. Try to find someone in State with a permit.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I believe he is just slowing down for the Winter. No matter how warm your enclosure is they just know it's Winter outside. Very easy to get a permit in NY. Only costs $10 and then you just renew it each year. Mine are all outside now so I just have to renew it each year. In a few weeks, around Easter, they will come up and start looking for food about a week after that. Get some ground venison (good quality dog food) and try that when he come's up.

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
Either works..or just gaining more knowledge on what to do.. I been scouring everywhere...youtube...here and other sites..
snails, have you tried live snails, get one, smash it, serve, see what happens, i offer it to all rescues first and none said no this far! snails, my friend, snails! :)

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
Are you feeding him what he is used to eating? I don't think he's warm enough. I'd have 95 degrees basking and to 'me' all those 70's are too cold. A tortoise needs to have his insides 85 degrees or the food won't digest. I'd not ever have him cool to 75, especially if you're making it humid.I have several tortoises and all are of a desert type background.
This is what I do. Start off with a good soil. Get it damp all the way thru. Get a Powersun 100 watt basking bulb, and I use black light bulbs for heat at night. Soak him first thing in warmer water.every morning, for 15 to 20 minutes. If the water cools off, add warm. Then feed him what he's been eating. After he's ignoring the food for 15 or so minutes, take it out. Soak every morning, then feed. Feed weeds and blooms and try to avoid grocery produce, I grow stuff for my tortoises in pots thru out the house in the winter. Box turtles would like fruit or protein. None of mine eat lettuce. You'll have an easier time of it if you'd set him up correctly so you don't have to mess with him daily. Good luck, keep asking questions
so true, heat is important for metabolism, put him in a warm bath with a snail :)

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
I can happily say we found stanley a great home!! He went to a couple in upstate new york. He lives outdoors and is doing wonderful!! Ty to everyone for the help.