Finding home for stanley

Alex Z

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
He is about 11yrs old...I have no clue what I got myself into...trying to find a good loving home for him...He is atleast 10yrs if age...a eastern box turtle...not sure what to do with him..I have tried setting up the enclosure as a forrested area...to no avail...anyone out willing to home him for us or knows of a turtle sanctuary that would accept him? He is in great health...just hides all day...goes into his wading pool and vanishes... We offer him a variety of food...blueberries to boiled chicken...papaya...all types of insect and still nothing..

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Nyc

Attachments

• 20161212_182058.jpg
    20161212_182058.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 123

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
He sure is beautiful...

Attachments

• download_20170211_205131.jpg
    download_20170211_205131.jpg
    621.2 KB · Views: 109
  • download_20170211_205118.jpg
    download_20170211_205118.jpg
    704.2 KB · Views: 100
  • download_20170211_205124.jpg
    download_20170211_205124.jpg
    514.1 KB · Views: 95

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
He is about 11yrs old...I have no clue what I got myself into...trying to find a good loving home for him...He is atleast 10yrs if age...a eastern box turtle...not sure what to do with him..I have tried setting up the enclosure as a forrested area...to no avail...anyone out willing to home him for us or knows of a turtle sanctuary that would accept him? He is in great health...just hides all day...goes into his wading pool and vanishes... We offer him a variety of food...blueberries to boiled chicken...papaya...all types of insect and still nothing..

He's a handsome EBT with a great pattern! Are you looking for pickup only or are you willing to ship? If I I was keeping Easterns again I would take him in a heartbeat. @terryo @ PJay @cmac3 to name a few on here would give him an excellent home if interested.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Either works..or just gaining more knowledge on what to do.. I been scouring everywhere...youtube...here and other sites..

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Let's send a shout-out to @terryo She has a beautiful box turtle yard, but I don't know if she'd be interested in adding another turtle to the mix. Also, she's in New York.

Ty very much...

M

Maggie Cummings

You know it takes a turtle/tortoise a little time to get used to a new habitat. I personally wouldn't give up on him without giving him the chance to get used to a new house. I'll pay shipping, send him to me......

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
You know it takes a turtle/tortoise a little time to get used to a new habitat. I personally wouldn't give up on him without giving him the chance to get used to a new house. I'll pay shipping, send him to me......

My fears are he is not eating so its making us uneasy...When I brought him home, he would eat with no issues...stanley has been with us since dec.17th...over the last 2.5 weeks it has ceased...he drinks from his wading pool then buries himself...I am not one for quiting on animals...

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My fears are he is not eating so its making us uneasy...When I brought him home, he would eat with no issues...stanley has been with us since dec.17th...over the last 2.5 weeks it has ceased...he drinks from his wading pool then buries himself...I am not one for quiting on animals...
If you give him time his appetite may pick up in a month or so. What are temps and humidity like for him?

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
89 basking area and humidity is 78..cool side is 74

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
89 basking area and humidity is 78..cool side is 74
That's good. Keep uvb on 14 hours and gentle heat at night to keep him from slowing down. He sounds ok though. And his enclosure looks nice.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Such a shame to have to rehome, but make sure he goes to long term members then you'll know he'll have a good home with any of them. Good luck to you and Stanley.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Ty..will keep at it..

Alex - my wife was pregnant with our 3rd daughter when I decided to bring home a puppy! Epic man brain fart! After a month with a nesting wife and stress of a 2 toddlers running around and a new puppy, my wife couldn't take it. So we gave away the puppy (Zoey) to an old man we knew who lost his wife to cancer. 2 weeks go by and yep my wife is missing the dog, wants me to see how she is doing, can I call the gentlemen? So I call him and he says I was just about to call you can you bring over one of your kids? So, I take my oldest kid and find out the only time Zoey was excited was when she seen children on the tv. When Zoey seen my daughter she lit up. The old man said she knows where her home is and we brought home that night. It's been 9 years and Zoey is my wife's dog to this day. It was rough in the beginning but worked out for the best. Moral of the story, maybe your turtles in the best care with you! It's not uncommon for box turtles to eat alittle less and hide more this time of year! As long as there is no signs of sickness, I would just monitor your feeding times. I had to adjust a feeding time for one of mine because she loved to be more active and eat in the wee mornings of the day! So, whatever you decide, I would highly encourage to find a home with a well known member....or just continue to learn and give it a good home:) Good Luck!

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
My fiance was proclaiming she does not want to let him go..I dont either..but if someone out there is far more experienced than us and would show Stanley the same love and kindness we do...I would be happy if he got a home like that...also who can provide a outdoor enclosure...we live in the bronx...

M

Maggie Cummings

Are you feeding him what he is used to eating? I don't think he's warm enough. I'd have 95 degrees basking and to 'me' all those 70's are too cold. A tortoise needs to have his insides 85 degrees or the food won't digest. I'd not ever have him cool to 75, especially if you're making it humid.I have several tortoises and all are of a desert type background.
This is what I do. Start off with a good soil. Get it damp all the way thru. Get a Powersun 100 watt basking bulb, and I use black light bulbs for heat at night. Soak him first thing in warmer water.every morning, for 15 to 20 minutes. If the water cools off, add warm. Then feed him what he's been eating. After he's ignoring the food for 15 or so minutes, take it out. Soak every morning, then feed. Feed weeds and blooms and try to avoid grocery produce, I grow stuff for my tortoises in pots thru out the house in the winter. Box turtles would like fruit or protein. None of mine eat lettuce. You'll have an easier time of it if you'd set him up correctly so you don't have to mess with him daily. Good luck, keep asking questions

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Ty I will fix up his regiman starting tomorrow and will order seeds for him...its hard cause I have 4 beagles and 2 cats as well...plus all the sliders...but he is worth the effort...ty everyone for their input...