Filter media

Daniel Freel

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Just wondering what filter media's do you all use for your aquatic turtles? I've been running a penn plaxx cascade 1000 3 stage with 2 sponges(top tray and bottom tray) and activated carbon(middle tray). It works ok but I would like opinions on other media options. BTW it's running on a 75 gallon with 2 r.e.s. and a pleco.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Ha, I have four of that very same model that I also run on 75 gallon tanks. Excellent filters!
I use the factory supplied pads but also add activated charcoal to two of the three trays. I put the charcoal into filter bags that you can get at aquarium stores or online. In addition, I use ceramic 'noodles' to add surface area. I've tried plastic bio-balls but have learned that they don't work well.
I also use small pieces of natural pumice that washes up on the beach where I work. The pumice is extremely light (heck, it FLOATS up from the Caribbean to Palm Beach!) and is filled with holes which is ideal for colonizing good bacteria. I collect small pieces so I can add them to the top of one of trays and still be able to close up the filter.
My tanks are typically crystal clear. But I would add that I replace the charcoal about every six weeks.

AJK Aquaria

I have several hundred gallons of fish tanks. The best media that I've used is Seachem Matrix. I always use the stock coarse sponge but then add a fine/polishing media to maximize water clarity. I avoid carbon as it's ability to remove chemical, metals, etc ceases after about 2 weeks of use.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I have several hundred gallons of fish tanks. The best media that I've used is Seachem Matrix. I always use the stock coarse sponge but then add a fine/polishing media to maximize water clarity. I avoid carbon as it's ability to remove chemical, metals, etc ceases after about 2 weeks of use.

I've always heard that carbon loses it's ability to filter after a short time but wasn't sure if that was true or not. Thanks for confirming.
As for the Seachem, I've considered that in the past.
Question: how do you use it in the filter? In filter bags? Or loose?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
This is a very useful thread! I did not know the carbon :eek: loses it's filtering ability after 2 weeks!

AJK Aquaria

I've only used the 'Pond Matrix' from Seachem. Essentially a larger version. In my large canister filters I can pile it up in the trays and not worry about it escaping, as I'm sure the standard Matrix would. I also have it in bags; whatever type comes with your filters. I use Aqua-Clear Hang On Backs on several tanks. I believe they are nylon bags. As long as it allows for flow it's good to go. Having it in a bag makes for easier cleaning/rinsing. According to Seachem, Matrix never needs to be replaced. So far, it's holding up well going on 4 years. Ceramics eventually start to break down and crack, but honestly, they're great and basically perform the same. Matrix is very porous and you can maximize surface area in a very small package. I bought it due to the supposed infinite life span and cheap price tag when bought in bulk(1 gallon pail). I'd put it in the top tier of available media. BioBalls and little green army men towards the bottom.

I used carbon in the past. Once I started keeping cichlids and talking with advanced hobbyists/breeders I found out about carbon's longevity. No doubt it does the job, for sure. But I've found fine filter media to be just as good, really. It can be rinsed and reused, or just thrown out. If you're cracking your filters open often to swap out carbon, you could do the same to rinse out the fine filter media and save a few bucks in the process. Any sponge or media will colonize beneficial bacteria, as will any decor in the tank.

Aquatic turtles are the messiest animals I've ever kept. If I did them again and set them up exclusively in a tank, I'd do a sand or bare glass bottom along with huge weekly water changes. Gravel collects so much gunk and traps it there. With good filtration and flow, poop and debris is swept around and suspended off the sand and will make its way to a canister intake.

Just my 2 cents on it, though. As long as you're cleaning and rinsing out your chosen media with dechlorinated, well or tap water, you should be good to go. Of course, it will take time to initially build up a colony of bacteria to effectively remove ammonia and nitrite through the nitrogen cycle. Without doing a cycle beforehand using ammonia or seeding your filter with established media, it may take up to 8 weeks to achieve. You can never know for sure without a test kit.

Daniel Freel

5 Year Member
New Jersey
As of right now I'm running a few standard foams and polishing pads with carbon. But I think I may try out the matrix. I am currently running a bare bottom which looks tacky in my opinion. I'm a fan of the natural look but not a sand guy either. I know how dirty my turtle's are and gravel holds it all...so I have been contemplating an undergravel jet system. For those of you that are unfamiliar with it it's basically an undergravel filter ran in reverse. So basically any debris would be pushed up out of the gravel essentially keeping the gravel alot cleaner. Now im not sure if i want to run it from my filter outtake or if I should run it with a powerhead. Do any of you have experience in running this system?

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I've heard of people running their canister filters as the source of a reverse flow undergravel system but never tried it. I used to run one with powerheads for my central american cichlid tanks. The powerheads would push all the junk out of the gravel and my aquaclear hang on power filters would remove it from the water column. It worked pretty well.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
For my fish tanks I use pads made of foam and a tray of media for biological activity.
I also change water frequently.
And I use a sachet of crushed coral in the bare tanks as a PH buffer. Large cichlids make for quickly acidic water.
In my fish ponds, I use Becket X5 filters with 5 foam pre filter sleeves. Inside is a mixture of Bio Balls and large lava rocks. I swap out 3 out of 5 of the pre unit sponges each time that the flow slows down to ensure that the bio bed stays stable.
I no longer use carbon in anything.
No decorative gravel. Vacuum and water changes often.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
As of right now I'm running a few standard foams and polishing pads with carbon. But I think I may try out the matrix. I am currently running a bare bottom which looks tacky in my opinion. I'm a fan of the natural look but not a sand guy either. I know how dirty my turtle's are and gravel holds it all...so I have been contemplating an undergravel jet system. For those of you that are unfamiliar with it it's basically an undergravel filter ran in reverse. So basically any debris would be pushed up out of the gravel essentially keeping the gravel alot cleaner. Now im not sure if i want to run it from my filter outtake or if I should run it with a powerhead. Do any of you have experience in running this system?

I agree that a nice, natural looking gravel bottom looks better and creates more interest in a turtle's environment. If I only had one aquarium with turtles I'd go back to using it too.
But at any given time I have up to eight tanks going with the smallest being 40 gallon breeder sized. So the bare bottom is a necessity.
I've considered painting the outside bottom of one of my tanks with black or dark brown paint...but then I've noticed that turtles in the upper aquarium of a two tank stand will often look down at the animals below them.

Right now I have a good system for cleaning where I run a hose from outside into the turtle room to replace water that is siphoned out by another hose that I run out the back door. I can do 100% water changes in minutes while at the same time wiping the inside of the aquarium glass and scrubbing the driftwood. I do this once a week.
Then about once a month I service each canister filter outside in my back driveway.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I agree that a nice, natural looking gravel bottom looks better and creates more interest in a turtle's environment. If I only had one aquarium with turtles I'd go back to using it too.
But at any given time I have up to eight tanks going with the smallest being 40 gallon breeder sized. So the bare bottom is a necessity.
I've considered painting the outside bottom of one of my tanks with black or dark brown paint...but then I've noticed that turtles in the upper aquarium of a two tank stand will often look down at the animals below them.

Right now I have a good system for cleaning where I run a hose from outside into the turtle room to replace water that is siphoned out by another hose that I run out the back door. I can do 100% water changes in minutes while at the same time wiping the inside of the aquarium glass and scrubbing the driftwood. I do this once a week.
Then about once a month I service each canister filter outside in my back driveway.
No such organization here.