Filing Eastern Box Turtle's shell

L a u r i e

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland USA
Hi there, I've had an Eastern Box Turtle for about 28 years. She has a little chip on the edge of her shell and today I noticed a cut or slit on her arm (shoulder) near where the chip is. The chip is kind of sharp and I suspect her cut on her shoulder might have been caused by rubbing against the chipped part, but I'm not sure. Would it be safe to take a nail file (emery board) and gently file the sharp edge of her shell, or could I end up hurting her or totally upsetting her and not doing any good? I took some pictures of the sharp edge if anyone needs to see it before giving advice. Thank you!

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
i don't think it would hurt her, she just might not enjoy it. and i'm not sure you could do enough with a file. you might need to take to the vet to have it dremeled down.

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Colorado
A picture would help. The superficial layer is fine to file down but if you go too far you can hit live tissue which is painful and may bleed.

L a u r i e

Maryland USA
A picture would help. The superficial layer is fine to file down but if you go too far you can hit live tissue which is painful and may bleed.

I know it doesn't look that sharp in the picture but it feels sort of sharp when I run my finger along it, and what else could have caused that slit in her arm? I had NO idea shells had live tissue inside them!!
shell and cut april 2016 IMG_3349.jpg shell 1 april 2016 IMG_3346.jpg

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Colorado
Hmm, I guess it's possible but it doesn't look the right place to do that unless the leg got stuck and pulled hard against it. Regardless, as long as you don't go crazy filing, it should be fine to round it off. :)

L a u r i e

Maryland USA
Hmm, I guess it's possible but it doesn't look the right place to do that unless the leg got stuck and pulled hard against it. Regardless, as long as you don't go crazy filing, it should be fine to round it off. :)
I know, right? But I was thinking maybe when she had her arm in the most forward position to start walking possibly she rubbed it against the chip, but on the other hand, the slit in her arm is right where a "wrinkle" is (like a skin seam or fold or something) so I wonder if she stretched her arm out too far and just opened her skin up under the strain? I wonder if too many warm baths over the winter caused her skin to get so dry it splits... Thank you everyone for all the great advice!