5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are beautiful. Making me want to set mine back up. What size tank is the Ray in? How long have you had the Ray? I question because I had a 100 gallon and it was too small for one. Your tanks don't look as big as my 100 did.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Beautiful reef tanks. What? No triggers, puffers and angels??? :p

They could "re-decorate" your whole reef for you. And the triggers would take care of any of those pesky hitchhiking mantis shrimps too...

itiswhatitis

They are beautiful. Making me want to set mine back up. What size tank is the Ray in? How long have you had the Ray? I question because I had a 100 gallon and it was too small for one. Your tanks don't look as big as my 100 did.

This ray I've only had for about 4 months. He is kept in a 125. The tank is 4 ft long but 2ft width. I had it made at glass cages which is local for me. It's a Cortez Ray so he stays in the sand mainly. As they grow to about 6 inches I exchange out with my local aquatic store for a smaller one. I'd love to get bigger tank one day and have a blue spotted Ray.
The space for me having another tank is more of an issue than anything. I need more room for more pets lol.

I'm Already have to make room for a bigger inside enclosure for Huck my Sulcata for few years until can be kept outside more. Lol

Beautiful reef tanks. What? No triggers, puffers and angels??? :p

They could "re-decorate" your whole reef for you. And the triggers would take care of any of those pesky hitchhiking mantis shrimps too...

Lol, thought I posted pictures of them. I love the porcupine and Dogface puffers. Never had a dogface but Ive had a few puffers.
Usually exchange out as they get bigger. I learned hard way with puffers and coral :/. Had porcupine shred a Jason fox 130$ zoa. I almost cried lol.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472957568.967681.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472957577.400768.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472957675.399192.jpg

NudiBranch are pretty neat to. But have to keep love circulation or they will catch in power heads!!!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472957749.209229.jpg

Last edited:

itiswhatitis

Wow, I've always wanted a ray and a shark tank. What's the maintenance like on those rays?

They are a lot work but you can have setups that can maintain easier. With daily mechanical dosers and top off systems. Kind depends on what your going for.

Reef tanks are more work.
Here's what the sump system and lights on my 90 look like.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472958033.182915.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472958056.053201.jpg
Skimmers
Uv
Pumps
Media
Power heads
Returns

But if just wanted a saltwater fish only tank with some live rock not to bad. Initial setup is what cost !!!! It takes a large tank to keep a ray or a shark. But the Sharks for saltwater home aquariums really are what you look at as a shark. They look mate like catfish lol. Bamboo sharks etc etc. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472958222.700229.jpg
Here's a bamboo shark a hatched years ago. After about a year had to sell off because I didn't have a tank of proper size for him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This ray I've only had for about 4 months. He is kept in a 125. The tank is 4 ft long but 2ft width. I had it made at glass cages which is local for me. It's a Cortez Ray so he stays in the sand mainly. As they grow to about 6 inches I exchange out with my local aquatic store for a smaller one. I'd love to get bigger tank one day and have a blue spotted Ray.

Lol, thought I posted pictures of them. I love the porcupine and Dogface puffers. Never had a dogface but Ive had a few puffers.
Usually exchange out as they get bigger. I learned hard way with puffers and coral :/. Had porcupine shred a Jason fox 130$ zoa. I almost cried lol.

View attachment 185732View attachment 185733
View attachment 185734

NudiBranch are pretty neat to. But have to keep love circulation or they will catch in power heads!!!
View attachment 185735

How great you can exchange them out for a smaller one. My tank is longer, 5 feet but not as wide as yours. That's why I never got one. I always wanted to though. I love even the fresh water ones. Love feeding them by hand.
Dog face puffers are great. If you ever have a chance. They get to know you and love seeing ya show up. I had one that lived I think it was 18 years or more. I could let him and when he seen me, he would almost smile and get all excited. I cried when I lost him. He was like a real pet.image.jpeg

itiswhatitis

I love the dogface !!! All the puffers really. They have personalities to them. At my local aquatic store they have some of the huge freshwater rays with Arawanas in this huge pond thing in the middle of the store. They sale the smaller ones to forsake. It's crazy the freshwater rays cost even more than the saltwater rays !!!

18 years is crazy lol !! The longest fish I've had is a lion fish I had for 10 years. Not sure how he even died really. I woke up one day and he was done. I did have a mating pair of maroon clowns for 8 years before I sold the mating pair to upgrade to leds.