Fertile after years of malnourishment?

marginatawhisperer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
About 20 months ago I was given a female Testudo Graeca. Close to 8 inches SCL long, but felt light in the hand.
Under three pounds, refused to eat anything but salad. Age estimated at about 40 years, carapace a bit worn.
When she was set in the pen with the others (Testudo Marginata), she at once placed herself under the heating lamp, and in a few day began eating more than salad. The break came in may with fresh dandelions.
Now she is three and a half pound, 1600 Grams. Perhaps a sixth of an inch longer.Heavy as a brick. So far so good.
My question is:
Should I expect her to be fertile? Or has the "conveyor belt" of eggs forming in her stagnated?
Comments welcome

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is a good question, Erik. I don't know the answer, but I'll be watching this thread to learn.

marginatawhisperer

5 Year Member
Sweden
Next year, when she cannot gain much more body weight, we shall know better, otherwise wait for an orthopsy result in about 60 years.
She is quite an impressive tortoise, tough as nails.
Should this discussion be moved to general? Then much more people would see. Fertility is a general problem, we must collect peoples anecdotes!
In the sixties I was given a grown up female T. Graeca too, she never laid eggs, although fairly young, good shape.