Feeding

Ccerv

How many times a day should I feed my Desert Tortoise? All he does is eat and sleep.. I'm starting to worry about him, he's about a month or 2 old.

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Babies sleep a lot, it is normal. Feeding depends on you. Tortoises can go days without eating. I feed my tortoise twice a day, once for breakfast and once for dinner. If he cleans his plate both times, you should feed a bigger amount or more often.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I have a CDT that is also a couple months old. I soak him for 20 minutes daily in shallow tepid water. He is a good drinker.
I feed him twice daily if the weather outside is not good.
If the weather is good i put him in an outdoor ( predator proof) enclosure where he can graze at will on natural weeds and grasses.
There is sun, shade and water out there as hatchlings can die if left in direct heat.
Enjoy!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
First thing in the a.m. I put my three hatchling desert tortoises into a bowl of shallow, warm water, then I go into the kitchen and prepare tortoise food. It takes me about 15 minutes to prepare a big bowl of chopped up greens and veggies. Then I place a glob of food on the feeding station, pull out the babies and position them around the food, then I quickly step out of their sight. They will eat a bit, then go hide. But later, when the house is quiet, they'll come back out and eat more. They do this all throughout the day, even in the evening when the food is now all dried up.

If your baby won't eat when you do it this way, then he may be on the road to becoming sick. Try this and if it doesn't work, we'll walk you through the baby food soaks.

Ccerv

He's actually a really good eater and drinker, when I first got him he walked around with no problem, but now all he does is sleep and when I put food out he'll come out and eat, then go back to sleep. Sometimes when he walks, he kinda shakes like he's having trouble, then he continues to walk. I feel I'm either feeding him too much or I shouldn't let him sleep as often. Maybe more walking rather than sleeping? I do take him outside for some sunshine and water and I watch him while he walks around and grazes. It just troubles me that he stops to shake while he's walking like he's losing his balance.