Feeding your tortoise over winter

Nicole74

Location (City and/or State)
Central Alabama
A large amount of the recommended foods grow wild on our land or are easy enough to grow. What do you feed over the winter months?
What are your estimated monthly food cost?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi, in the UK weeds are not readily available over winter and I was unsuccessful at growing my own last year so I have to use shop bought veg for my leopard.
I use Florette Classic Crispy salad with kale, greens, romaine anything for variety, but I also use Readigrass which is ground up and generously sprinkled on the shop stuff and well hydrated.
Cost on average I would say is about £25 to £30 a month which is quite expensive I am trying growing my own again this year, so fingers crossed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Winter is about the only time I get weeds and grass growing here. It all dries up and dies in summer.

Sorry. That is not helpful. :(

Nicole, what species are we talking about? And what size?

Nicole74

Central Alabama
I don't have one yet but trying to workout which one will be the best fit. I think it is between a Russian or sulcata.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't have one yet but trying to workout which one will be the best fit. I think it is between a Russian or sulcata.
Huge difference in size! But the care sheets should help you decide which is best for your circumstances.
I was told the recommended amount to feed is about enough to fill the shell, so that is a lot for a sully as it grows, plus the bigger the tort the bigger the space you need. The care conditions for a leopard and sully are similar and they don't hibernate so will need heat and uv all winter too, but then again not everyone hibernates the torts that do. Good luck with your choice.

Nicole74

Central Alabama
That helps a bit. We have more than enough space for a sulcata. Feeding one sounds rather expensive.

Prairie Mom

My sulcata is very young, but her appetite is growing so quickly. I suspect feeding her will be very much like feeding a large goat when she's a big girl. Adult Sulcatas can weigh 200lbs. Having space is awesome, but I would definitely consider whether you are prepared to feed and house your own reptile "livestock" through the winter?:) If in doubt, I would tell a friend to get a smaller tortoise (like the Russian you mentioned) and give that tortoise the most fabulous superb care you can muster:) Build awesome enclosures and enjoy it.