feeding turtle food to RF tortoise

byviolet

before I get crucified, let me explain. I have an essentially full container of zoomed's gourmet aquatic turtle food (that's the name) that I bought when I babysat some turtles. I bought way too much and I'm wondering if I can give it to my redfoot tortoise sometimes as a source of protein, in addition to veggies. Here is the ingredients list:

Soybean Meal, Wheat Flour, Fish Meal, Sun Dried River Shrimp (Macrobrachium nipponense), Wheat Middlings, Corn Gluten Meal, Dried Mealworms (Tenebrio molitor), Dried Cranberries, Spirulina, Fish Oil, Lecithin, Dicalcium Phosphate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodate, Propionic Acid (a natural preservative).

turtlemanfla88

once in awhile it will not hurt. I would not use it on sulcatas, Leopards, Russians species that do not eat animal protein in the wild. I fed it to box turtles,elongateds,forestni,reds,yellow foots,hinge backs.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
I think only sometimes. Turtle food is formulated with a lot of protein, and little fiber. I under stand red foots need the additional protein sometimes, but... In my opinion, that has a lot more than needed!

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So FL
Maybe moisten some and mix with less appetizing foods to entice them?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I sometimes give the same thing to my red foots they love it . It has a picture of a Diamondback Terrapin on it right? Its what I feed my sliders and snappers . The reds go crazy for it .plus it keeps you from having to feed meats to them that month . Use your own judgment .

byviolet

I sometimes give the same thing to my red foots they love it . It has a picture of a Diamondback Terrapin on it right? Its what I feed my sliders and snappers . The reds go crazy for it .plus it keeps you from having to feed meats to them that month . Use your own judgment .
yep that's the one :) thanks