Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Thank you for the feast~~

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The best protection is plenty of hiding spots, and in the larger open pond, water over 3' deep with, again, hiding spots. That's why I created three rock 'reefs' in the pond for the turtles and koi to hide under. They do use that a lot as resting spots. To make the pond turtle friendly, though, I had to create a sloping side, so in cold weather, any of the turtles that aren't strong swimmers, (for me that's the spotteds) that venture into the deeper water, have a way to climb out. Those turtles really do keep to the upper pond, especially in cooler weather, where they love the shallower water, but it is heavily planted with plenty of hiding spots.

The 7' block wall around the perimeter of our complex, and adjacent to our pond seems to help a lot. Never have seen a raccoon, or opossum make it into the back yards, but I'm always on the lookout. I'm prepared to put an electric wire around the top of the fences if that becomes necessary. A friend in another city had to do that and it did the trick for him, but after loosing 5 spotted turtles with their legs chewed off.

I do have a Blue Heron that has found the pond recently. So far it's not been regular, but I am now designing a network of high strength fishing line I will string across the pond from roofline to fence about 2' apart. Very inconspicuous, but large birds cannot come in for a landing.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Markw84 could you post a list of the turtle species in that giant pool? Seems to be a very mixed bag of species getting along fine.
In perfect condition too I might add...

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Markw84 could you post a list of the turtle species in that giant pool? Seems to be a very mixed bag of species getting along fine.
In perfect condition too I might add...
Pacific Pond Turtle Actinemys Marmorata
Spotted Turtle Clemmys guttata
Red-eared Slider Trachemys scripta elegans
Suwanee Cooter Pseudemys suwanniensis
Northern Diamondback Terrapin Malaclemys terrapin terrapin
Common Musk Turtle (Stinkpot) Sterotherus odoratus
Razorback Musk Turtle sternotherus carinatum
Western Painted Turtle Chrysemys picta bellii
Southern Painted Turtle Chresemys picta dorsalis
Mississippi Map Turtle Graptemys psuedogeographica kohni
Ouachita Map Turtle Graptemys ouachitensis ouachitensis

Rue

Canada
Do you have a favourite species of turtle? And if yes, why is it your favourite?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Thanks. I was wondering what the nice Pseudemys was.
Like I said, or meant to say, cool beans man!