Feeding routine

spanna

Hi all. I've recently got a baby tortoise, he's called Zeus and he's 7 month old. Every time I take a look into his vivarium he's always under his log and away from the basking light. First thing in the morning, I prepare his food and put it in the vivarium but he doesn't touch it and I feel like I have to disturb his sleep to put him in front of his food but then he hardly eats anything. Am I doing anything wrong or have you got any good tips?

amyrothmeyer

That is what I had to do with my rf tort the first few days I had him, now he comes out on him own and eats and drinks on his own at those times. They become more social, it just takes time. They are adjusting to new surroundings, sounds and people

spanna

I was so worried he'd get poorly but I'll do that this week & sit down with him and feed him from hand and hopefully things will change....fingers crossed!! x

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Much like people, different torts act differently. Most will get used to eating time. However, I have one that must be drug out of his "bed" every morning to come get some food and he is only active much later in the afternoon when most have gone back into their shelters. Besides, babies are lazy, anyway.