Feeding an 11 lb Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
If allowed, Franklin will eat nearly all day long. He grazes a several hours during the day before I go to work and stays in his table, inside, for the evening and night. I also leave food in there for him at night. If not, he stomps around and destroys his place then retreats to his hide:) I guess my question is, do I always have to give him his full or can he go to bed hungry? Can't over feeding cause pyramiding? Thanks!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1373658398.413442.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
He's a big boy and they get hungry. My Male Leopard will eat all day too, even come look in the back door to beg for more food. You don't have to feed them constantly, but make sure you feed them enough. They are used to grazing whenever they find food in the wild, but they probably get more exercise in the wild also as they roam around.

Food amount doesn't cause pyramiding. However, gross amounts of incorrect food, high proteins and things will cause them to grow faster and can lead to abnormal shell growth. Not pyramiding, but not smooth and identical either.

I feed mine a nice pile of greens in the morning, sometimes mixed with mazuri or other treats, and let them graze all day in the yard. If he begs at night, I'll give him some more greens. :D

n3rdchik

5 Year Member
Michigan
Rumple would prefer to eat all day, and I let him. He gets a "Breakfast" after his soak - organic greens, and a succulent 2-3 times a week. If the weather is nice, he gets to graze in his weed patch all day. If not, he gets "Elevensies" and "Tea" - smaller helpings of greens & wheat and oat grass sprouts.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ahh... Welcome to the wonderful world of the juvenile sulcata. :D

You have now reached the point where a tub of spring mix ain't gonna do it, and your having minor panic attacks trying to figure out how you are gonna feed this monster for the next few decades.

Am I right? :p

Now is where you discover the joy of grass hay bales for horses, large stands of spineless opuntia cactus and mulberry trees whose owners will be more than happy to have you regularly remove whole branches for them.

To answer your questions: Yes they should be allowed to graze good foods, like those in the pic, all day long. No, they should not go to bed hungry. No, food does not cause pyramiding.

Also, your baby is past the stage where pyramiding is a concern. At his size, they will not start pyramiding.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Looks like you have a nice plot of land there. I am not sure of your climate, but have you tried growing your own greens and feed plenty if weeds? I do not have an eleven pound sulcata, just a little three pounder, but when dexters plate is empty, I fill it back up. This can be 2-3 times daily. Do you feed mazuri too?

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Anybody else see the red plate the food is sitting on? That's got to be the most exciting feeding dish for a sulcata! I bet when that plate comes down, inside his head he is doing back-flips.

NickWag

5 Year Member
Mandeville, LA
Livingstone said:
Anybody else see the red plate the food is sitting on? That's got to be the most exciting feeding dish for a sulcata! I bet when that plate comes down, inside his head he is doing back-flips.

Right?! Equivalent to when bulls see red at the rodeo! LoL

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
Hi!-
Never let them get hungry. There is many things that won't allow piramiding to begin. I don't know what kind of tortoise it is. If its a Sulcata give him a little tub of lettece/carrts/apples/celery.
-lll

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Lilyloveslettuse said:
Hi!-
Never let them get hungry. There is many things that won't allow piramiding to begin. I don't know what kind of tortoise it is. If its a Sulcata give him a little tub of lettece/carrts/apples/celery.
-lll

This is not a good diet, and poor advise. None of those items constitute something a sulcata should eat regularly and will give it soft stools as well as a possible gut bloom.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I have mine in a large pen filled with grass and weeds. I feed him scraps such as squash, collards, and occasionally fruit (bi-monthly) but he grazes on grass all day. If I lock him up for more than a day, he will destroy everything inside. I do not submit to the idea that pyramiding is caused by overfeeding causing "rapid growth" (pyramiding), only by improper portions, and other environmental factors such as humidity. After I introduced him to the endless fields of grass, his appetite has slowed, and consumes less in a short amount of time rather than attacking his food. BUT, when a hibiscus flower falls he will chase it down. When I really watch him, he only eats twice a day. In the morning, and evening when it is not hot outside.

Most of their diet should be grasses and weeds, then greens (collards, mustard, etc.) vegetables, and fruit sparingly. Variety is key when raising tortoises, or any animal.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Tom- I have gone from handfuls of food to a small Tupperware bowl to a small bucket a few times a day. All that along with grazing everyday. Eventually my boyfriend and I are going to try growing grass for the wintertime. I don't feed him mazuri, I have zoomed grassland tortoise food. Thanks for all the replies!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Fun club yes? Cooper eats a ton. But he gets his Mazuri too or he'd have a fit. I knew what I was in for when I got him, but I didnt expect him to be over 30 pounds and 18 inches long at 29 months of age. So I have had to make major adjustments on the fly... Good luck! :)

TortoiseRN

5 Year Member
cemmons12 said:
Fun club yes? Cooper eats a ton. But he gets his Mazuri too or he'd have a fit. I knew what I was in for when I got him, but I didnt expect him to be over 30 pounds and 18 inches long at 29 months of age. So I have had to make major adjustments on the fly... Good luck! :)

Cooper has Dino genes!!

1.0 Sulcata
1.0 Russian
2.0 Sri Lankan Star
1.0 African Side Neck
1.0 Yellow Bellied Slider
1.0 Ferret
2.0 Cats

This thread just inspired me to start a second garden of weeds and grass just for the torts. My wife is going to kill me!! Lol! However our pocket book might feel a little heavier come winter.
$Cha-Ching$

1.0 Sulcata
1.0 Russian
2.0 Sri Lankan Star
1.0 African Side Neck
1.0 Yellow Bellied Slider
1.0 Ferret
2.0 Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.