feeding amounts

robertlaud

5 Year Member
We have two sulcatas, about 3 & 2 years old, they weight about 3lbs & 2lbs respectively. Were trying to get feedback on how much the should be fed? We've not measured precisely the food amounts, but daily they get about 1/2 large bag of mixed greens or 1/4 quarter cup of dry tortoise pellet food we purchase from the orginial breeder. We coat the pellets with tortoise minerals & vitamins, change water daily or right after they foul the water..temp is 85, 75 at night, but we see pyramiding and recently noticed theyve been eating their feces and the cyprus wood chips... after soaking they expel everything but we are concerned the wood chips wont pass... i will probably change the bedding now, but i dont think i have the diet right or enough... they are very active, friendly and very strong .. but i cant get over how to prevent pyramiding and if they are eating enoughImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428364568.754375.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428364588.812801.jpg

Any help will be appreciated, they mean the world to us!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
They should be outside where they could graze to their heart's content. If that's not possible, I'd be willing to bet they could each eat a full bag of greens daily, and probably even more.

They are probably eating feces and substrate because they're still hungry. And, by the way, pyramiding is caused by the tortoises being too dry during their first year of life, not their diet. They can benefit even now from a moist substrate.

robertlaud

5 Year Member
thank you so much, we'll make the adjustments immediately, there is not enough humidty from what Ive read (and you pointed out), we'll increase the food a lot more and gauge whats not eaten.

Unfortunately we are in NJ, so we cant take them out until the weather stays warm, but we'll get the out as soon as possible.

Thxs again

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
We have two sulcatas, about 3 & 2 years old, they weight about 3lbs & 2lbs respectively. Were trying to get feedback on how much the should be fed? We've not measured precisely the food amounts, but daily they get about 1/2 large bag of mixed greens or 1/4 quarter cup of dry tortoise pellet food we purchase from the orginial breeder. We coat the pellets with tortoise minerals & vitamins, change water daily or right after they foul the water..temp is 85, 75 at night, but we see pyramiding and recently noticed theyve been eating their feces and the cyprus wood chips... after soaking they expel everything but we are concerned the wood chips wont pass... i will probably change the bedding now, but i dont think i have the diet right or enough... they are very active, friendly and very strong .. but i cant get over how to prevent pyramiding and if they are eating enoughView attachment 124964View attachment 124965

Any help will be appreciated, they mean the world to us!
Not here to judge, but the amount of substrate you have in the enclosure does not seem adequate. I would consider adding a deeper substrate of organic potting soil (buy from home depot) and mix half with coconut coir so they can burrow. Good luck!

robertlaud

5 Year Member
thanks its ok to judge, i want then to be healthy and happy ... i got a lot of feedback on that... i corrected it with coconut... but i can tell its just going to dry out too, do you spray & remoisten frequently?

thanks for taking the time to help

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
I want to make it clear that I do not have a Sulcata, but I do have a Leopard which have very similar needs. I do have to mist frequently, and I even bought a small humidifier just to raise up the humidity a bit in the enclosure. I would recommend buying shpagnum moss (get the Mosser Lee brand from Home Depot) and soaking a pile of it and leaving it in on one part of the enclosure. This not only can raise the humidity a bit, but it holds moisture well and reduces the amount of times you need to mist!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Here is what I would do:
1. House them separately and in much larger enclosures. Tortoises that size need at least 4x8'.
2. There are four temps to know: Warm side, cool side, basking area and over night low. Do you know yours?
3. They don't need vitamin and mineral supplementation with every feeding. Once or twice a week should do it. You need to start adding grass and grass hay to their diet. Here is a feeding sheet: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
4. The substrate needs to be damp and much thicker.
5. How often do you soak them and do they have a shallow water bowl?
6. What is the food from the breeder? What is it called or made of?

Please read these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

The way to prevent pyramiding is to raise them in a more humid environment and with better hydration. Too late to prevent it in your case. Its already there. You can get the new growth smoother with the aid of a closed chamber to give them a proper growing environment. Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. Check this one out: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

Food type or quantity does not cause pyramiding. That is an old myth that has been thoroughly debunked.