Eye problem: Russian tortoise. Help !

anloni

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
So about 2-3 weeks ago I noticed that my tortoise had one eye shut, I looked closer and after about 3-5 min she opened it and everything was normal. This happende a couple of times (not every day) after that so I started having closer supervision over her. Yesterday she was all fine, but today, I find her with this:

yoshisjuk.jpg

Over 15 minutes later and she had only opened it a tiny bit. Like a half millimeter in the center as a small black dot (she could still wink though). I sent her back to her cage and started writing this topic. But when I checked her (exactly right now) she could open the eye and everything was normal.

What is wrong ? THAT is not a normal eye so why does it go back to normal after a while ? Does anyone have any experience with this ? I really need help because I am all over the place right now.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Since it is only on one eye it could be a small scratch or even something caught in the eye. Try flushing it with a saline solution and see if that helps. If it doesn't clear up I'd get her checked up by a good vet.

anloni

Sweden
Since it is only on one eye it could be a small scratch or even something caught in the eye. Try flushing it with a saline solution and see if that helps. If it doesn't clear up I'd get her checked up by a good vet.

Does she need a speciel kind of "saline solution" ?, I mean, she's a small tortoise after all. And how do I apply it ? Drop it in the eye ?

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Does she need a speciel kind of "saline solution" ?, I mean, she's a small tortoise after all. And how do I apply it ? Drop it in the eye ?
Just normal saline eye flushes from the pharmacy will do. Drops should work. If there is a bit of substrate or something else irritating her eye it could be flushed out that way.

On an additional note. If you do end up going to the vet (which I hope won't be needed), don't let them give you eyedrops or cream containing cortisone, as this can cause deformationd of the cornea. (Just an additional info)

I hope your sweety feels better soon!

anloni

Sweden
Just normal saline eye flushes from the pharmacy will do. Drops should work. If there is a bit of substrate or something else irritating her eye it could be flushed out that way.

On an additional note. If you do end up going to the vet (which I hope won't be needed), don't let them give you eyedrops or cream containing cortisone, as this can cause deformationd of the cornea. (Just an additional info)

I hope your sweety feels better soon!
Thank you sooo much for your answer, I will do that !

anloni

Sweden
How are you keeping her, substrate, temperatures etc?
Right now she lives in a "indoor-rabbitcage", which is filled with plantsoil, reptile-sand and treebark. She have some big pieces of wood/treebark, a "house" made of woodsticks built like a bridge, a big flat rock placed almost under her lamp, her foodbowl, waterbowl and a big bowl for baths, and then there are a lof of leaves. The lamp is a heat lamp with the most watt the store had (and biggest) because her former lamp (the one I got from her former owner) broke 3 monthes after I got her and that was one of thouse you use for piglets.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Get rid of the sand. It can cause impactation and can irritate the eyes. Soil is good. Can you post pictures of the set up and if the waterbowl as well? Some cause trouble to tortoises because they aren't easy to get out of.

What are you doing for uv and how warm and humid is it exactly in the enclosure?

Sorry for all those questions ;)

anloni

Sweden
Get rid of the sand. It can cause impactation and can irritate the eyes. Soil is good. Can you post pictures of the set up and if the waterbowl as well? Some cause trouble to tortoises because they aren't easy to get out of.

What are you doing for uv and how warm and humid is it exactly in the enclosure?

Sorry for all those questions ;)
Haha, that is no problem ! Everything to make her better !
It wasn't easy to take fair pictures, but this is the best I got. I don't think the waterbowl is any problem, I've seen her get in and out of it, just not often because she's kind of a "bath coward". The cage is 100 x 55 cm btw. And I have no idéa of what the exact degrees are, but I know that it's nice and warm around the lamp and a little cooler around the edges of the cage. Got some pointers ?
yoshibur.jpg

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
with it only being one eye i'd guess there's something is stuck in there. a syringe or small squirty bottle will help you to flush it out you may need to hold her eye open. hope she feels better soon

anloni

Sweden
with it only being one eye i'd guess there's something is stuck in there. a syringe or small squirty bottle will help you to flush it out you may need to hold her eye open. hope she feels better soon
Thank you ! ^^

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Can you post a full picture of the bulb your using? It could also be the kind that could cause irritation and blindness to her eye, although I'm not sure since I'm not familiar with the brand.

I would get rid of the sand and just use the plain soil and bark, for sure. The sand could be irritating the eye, for sure.

She needs a cage that's closed, not a rabbit cage. The rabbit cage is also way too small. Look on the "Enclosures" part of the forum to find ideas. I use this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055FSKPW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

You need to know the temps and humidity as well, so buy something that can read both. Mine looks like this:
http://www.acurite.com/humidity-temperature-monitor-00613.html

Those pebbles are no good. Feed her dark leafy greens and weeds.

I would swap your food and water dishes for terra cotta plant saucers as well.

:)

Read this care sheet please:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

anloni

Sweden
Can you post a full picture of the bulb your using? It could also be the kind that could cause irritation and blindness to her eye, although I'm not sure since I'm not familiar with the brand.

I would get rid of the sand and just use the plain soil and bark, for sure. The sand could be irritating the eye, for sure.

She needs a cage that's closed, not a rabbit cage. The rabbit cage is also way too small. Look on the "Enclosures" part of the forum to find ideas. I use this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055FSKPW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

You need to know the temps and humidity as well, so buy something that can read both. Mine looks like this:
http://www.acurite.com/humidity-temperature-monitor-00613.html

Those pebbles are no good. Feed her dark leafy greens and weeds.

I would swap your food and water dishes for terra cotta plant saucers as well.

:)

Read this care sheet please:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
After some google'ing, I found the exakt lamp: 2bQQKAe.png

I know the cage is too small, (I got it with her when I adopted her from her former owner) and have tried to sketch up a new one to build, But I'm starting to belive I've taken to much on me and therefore have looked for new cages for weeks but can't find any good. Tortoises aren't that popular in Sweden so I don't have much to go on.

Right now it's **** the same what I feed her bacause she refuse to do more than sleep, all day every day.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
After some google'ing, I found the exakt lamp: View attachment 109295

I know the cage is too small, (I got it with her when I adopted her from her former owner) and have tried to sketch up a new one to build, But I'm starting to belive I've taken to much on me and therefore have looked for new cages for weeks but can't find any good. Tortoises aren't that popular in Sweden so I don't have much to go on.

Right now it's **** the same what I feed her bacause she refuse to do more than sleep, all day every day.

That bulb is fine, but you also need a UVB bulb along with it, unless your tortoise gets natural sunlight a few hours a week.

anloni

Sweden
That bulb is fine, but you also need a UVB bulb along with it, unless your tortoise gets natural sunlight a few hours a week.
It's too cold to take her out this time of year, but she have spent most of the summer in our garden with lots of sunlight and food. Should I get one to use in the winter ?

Tyanna

Wisconsin
It's too cold to take her out this time of year, but she have spent most of the summer in our garden with lots of sunlight and food. Should I get one to use in the winter ?

Yes.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Get rid of the leaves. They aren't adding anything to the environment & might be a problem. Not everyone is convinced that sand is a problem when mixed into a substrate, but in too large a proportion it's terrible. You don't need two water dishes. It's taking up space. Keep the large one.

You may have to build your own habitat. Look around for other things, too. Plastic storage tubs work well, and two can be attached together for more room. Stock tanks and preformed ponds work. A bookcase on its side with a waterproof liner works well. Repurposed furniture, old drawers...

UVB light is needed.

Flush that eye often. It can only help, it can't hurt if its just saline eye wash. Try soaking the animal & trickling warm water over the eye if it won't submerge itself. You don't have to get it directly into the open eye.

anloni

Sweden
Get rid of the leaves. They aren't adding anything to the environment & might be a problem. Not everyone is convinced that sand is a problem when mixed into a substrate, but in too large a proportion it's terrible. You don't need two water dishes. It's taking up space. Keep the large one.

You may have to build your own habitat. Look around for other things, too. Plastic storage tubs work well, and two can be attached together for more room. Stock tanks and preformed ponds work. A bookcase on its side with a waterproof liner works well. Repurposed furniture, old drawers...

UVB light is needed.

Flush that eye often. It can only help, it can't hurt if its just saline eye wash. Try soaking the animal & trickling warm water over the eye if it won't submerge itself. You don't have to get it directly into the open eye.
But she loves to hide under leaves ! They are staying !

I've been looking everywere.. Everything I find is to small.. I really have no idéa were to look anymore.

And I will get the light ^^

Oh, and I am happy to say that she's been totaly fine the entire day !

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
You could look around Ikea for an enclosure. Either a large plastic tub or a cheap (Billy ) closet laid down on his back are a good starter for an enclosure. I'm building mine on the basis of a large Lack table. And in Sweden there must be an Ikea nearby right? :) Good luck!